Wyze Cam and Wyze Cam Pan Firmware 4.X.6.156 Released - 7/28/20

@WyzeTeam

Similar issue for me. Sometimes motion detections work, but it’s VERY RARE now since the upgrade. Like others, the cameras went from catching 30-50 events a day to catching 1-2 a day. Like you, I’ve checked all settings repeatedly, I’ve also DELETED & re-setup all cams, etc. TO NO AVAIL! Shocked that Deleting & re-settingup DID NOT WORK! -sigh- I AM SOOOOO REGRETTING UPGRADING!

2 Likes

I’m starting to dig through tips & forums for instructions on how to downgrade in hopes that my PanCams will being to adequately detect motion again. But… If anyone can send me a link to instructions, I’d appreciate it saving me the time of digging. THANKS!

To downgrade the app on your Android device, uninstall the current version and select a different version from here:

To downgrade the firmware in the cam, follow these instructions:

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll get that working this afternoon and report back!

I just completed the firmware downgrade from 4.9.6.156 to 4.9.5.111 on my two installed V2 cams. It was a quick process, with more time being spent unhooking everything again to get to the SD cards. After the downgrade, all cams are functioning AND all connected bridges and related sensors are online.

Thanks for the help and instructions to downgrade!

1 Like

No problem.

Found yet another problem with the latest F/W release. My PanCam will turn on the IR lights when going into night mode - EVEN THOUGH THE OPTION IS SET FOR THEM TO BE OFF ALL THE TIME.

Going to have to revert F/W. NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

Really getting tired of Beta testing for Wyze - they don’t pay me anywhere near enough (like nothing) for that.

3 Likes

V2 does the same thing. :frowning_face: (At least performance is consistent, although bad.)

Also noticed with the latest firmware that neither camera will consistently turn on when they are supposed to - this using the same rules that I’ve had in place for months now and were working before this most recent F/W fiasco.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger and get at least 2 outdoor cameras but that is not going to happen. I’m not going to waste any more of my time or money on Wyze products and will recommend to anyone who will listen that they do the same. So much potential - so little delivered.

Congratulations once again to Wyze for their impeccable in depth testing before releasing updates to the public. (End sarcasm)

Hi R_T, we’re sorry for the trouble. I was wondering if you could submit a log and let me know the log number? This is really alarming and we would look into this. You can go to account → help & feedback → submit a log. We’re sorry for the trouble and appreciate your help and information, thank you.

Most of us that have been here a while know that there is no longer any support. I’m ok with that because the user to user support in this forum is great. All my V2 restart rules fail daily since the last fw update. Submitted 3 service tickets weeks ago with no reply. No need to reply, just sharing the joy.

2 Likes

Unfortunately (actually fortunately) I’ve reverted the F/W on my cameras to the point where they function as they should - at least as I use them.

As I said in my previous post I’m done wasting money, time and energy on Wyze products - which includes taking any part in testing that should have been done before public release. My current setup will stay in place until I decide on which alternate solution I’ll implement. When that occurs I’ll likely drive a 10-penny nail through each of my Wyze products and mail them to you to demonstrate how totally dissatisfied I am with your continual repetitive failures to properly perform even rudimentary testing of basic product functions.

1 Like

These were my first Wyze products. They’re so inexpensive, I was willing to give them a try. I’m a pet sitter & had been recommending them to oodles of my clients who want inexpensive cameras to set up just while they’re on vacation. Since I learned that Wyze releases updates before they’ve been adequately tested, I’ve stopped recommending them to clients. Instead, I’ll just loan out one of mine. It’ll save customers from spending money on non-beta-tested releases.

1 Like

They are beta tested but there isn’t much communication between testers snd WYZE. I feel like I’m dropping an anonymous note in the suggestion box whenever I left feedback. The only communication method is Facebook I think.

Mostly it appears, unfortunately, by the user community after public release. The 2 bugs I’ve pointed out in just this thread (IR lights turning on and cameras not starting by rule) should not even have made it to internal beta testing. They should have been discovered during initial unit testing - or at the very latest during internal alpha testing.

I spent 30+ years in software development (system, end user, corporate and embedded systems) and know how testing should be performed, and the Wyze development team ain’t doing it. I would love to see Wyzes’ protocol(s) - if they even have a system in place. Based on what I’ve seen it appears to be something like: 1) change code, 2) test code you changed - and ONLY the code you changed, 3) done. Did we break something in the process? Don’t worry about it - our customers may not notice and if they do they’ll let us know.

3 Likes

I fully agree and think I’ve given you a clue as to why WYZE beta testings isn’t. :slightly_smiling_face:

By the way, I can’t reproduce the LED problem you are having, which is odd. I have three cameras with the LEDs off.

1 Like

The scenario where it occurred (past tense 'cause I’ve reverted the F/W and it’s working fine now) for me is: 1) Night mode set to auto, 2) IR lights - ALWAYS OFF, 3) camera set to turn on at 8:00PM. When cameras switched to night mode the IR lights came on. I didn’t test other scenarios like manually switching to night mode or manually turning camera on after dark. It did happen when I noticed the camera did not turn on at 8:00PM and I manually turned it on while it was still light out.

1 & 2 are the same for me but my cameras are always on.

Well, I guess this is just going to have to be one of life’s not-so-great mysteries. I’m certainly not going to upgrade the F/W to play with it - too busy evaluating alternatives. :wink:

1 Like

For the last month since this update, my Cam Pan has been freaking out when trying to detect motion and doesn’t reset to the proper position when it stops spinning. Also, when trying to adjust the detection zone, it treats you moving it as motion and spins around again every time you move the camera to try to fix it.

Issue #1: I have 6-7 V2s and after the updating to 4.9.6.156, at least 3 of the V2s are unreachable. Yes, I tried the power on/off and unplugging them for a few mins with no luck. Oddly the ones that do upgrade seem to work fine. I found I have to rollback to 4.9.5.111 (or earlier) to get the remaining V2s back. I also attempted to update 1 of them back to .156 and same thing.

Issue #2: Same issue when updating my Pan to 4.10.6.156. Again, unreachable and so far I have not been able to get it back by rolling back the firmware to 4.10.5.111 (March 18, 2020).

Honestly this is disappointing. Up until the most recent firmware versions, the cams have been performing without any issues. Are there subtle hardware differences in the V2s that could be causing some of them to fail?

Thanks in advance,
Schwach