Woc subnet 200

So my internet company has me use a static ip that has x.x.212.x. That’s in my router/modem. Has anyone found a work around to get the base station to connect.

Note, I don’t have a WOC, but I understand networking pretty well.
You are going to need to better explain the problem. If your ISP is having you use a specific static address for your router WAN address, that should have no effect on what you do on the LAN side of your router. I am going to assume that the WOC base station’s wired connection is configured normally for DHCP, so it will get an address from your router. If not, than a whole lot of people would not know how to set it up. Assuming the WOC base station uses DHCP on it’s wired connection, means that it should not matter what LAN subnet is used on the LAN side of the router - it will always get an address assigned by the router.

2 Likes

In order for my internet to come through my isp uses a static IP instead of dhcp. My router does put off a standard configuration that should work with the base station 192.168.1.1. I thought i was savvy enough to figure it out and feel like it might just be a bad base. Plugged into the router it gives off a dhcp address that’s not in the 200 subnet.

It sounds like you don’t understand what your router is doing, so I am going to explain it a bit. I am assuming a reasonably normal home router. The typical home router has a WAN (Wide Area Network) connection and one or more LAN (Local Area Network) connections. It may also have a built in WiFi access point (which operates on the LAN side of the router). Starting on the WAN side of the router, in most cases, the WAN connection of the router will connect to your modem (DSL, cable, fiber, satellite, etc). The WAN side of the router will either request a DHCP address from your ISP, or will be assigned a static address by your ISP. That is normally up to your ISP (not you). You MAY also have login credentials to enter into the router, but that depends on how your ISP operates the service. With either a DHCP or static address on the WAN side of the router, you will USUALLY have a public IP address. In other words, anyone on the internet could reach your router by typing in the IP address of the WAN side of your router. Note that your router may or may not respond depending on how it is configured and how someone tries to reach your IP address. For example, if I were to attempt to ping your public IP address, it will respond IF it has been configured to respond to pings.

Now for the LAN side of the router. The typical home router is set with an IP subnet that you can optionally set, and it will optionally function as a DHCP server. By far, the most common subnets that are used are 192.168.0.nnn and 192.168.1.nnn when those routers have their factory default configuration, and they have a DHCP server enabled for the LAN side. What that means is that if you plug a device into the router (or connect via the WiFi if equipped), the device will request a DHCP address, and the router will respond with a DHCP assignment You CAN assign static addresses on the LAN devices, and generally will turn off the DHCP server on the router in that case (does not have to be if you know what you’re doing).

For the most part, almost every consumer device out there that will be connected to your LAN, by default assumes that they can operate DHCP and your router will function as a DHCP server. This includes all the Wyze cameras except the WOC. In the case of the WOC, it does not connect to your LAN, but rather it connects to the WOC Base Station. The Base Station DOES connect to your LAN, and presumably it operates as a DHCP client and therefore will get an IP address from your router. In turn, the Base Station operates as another router with the wired connection is it’s WAN connection that I assume operates as a DHCP client (getting an IP address from your router), and it has a WiFi access point on it’s LAN side that the WOC connects to. As I recall seeing, the Base Station LAN operates on the 192.168.200.nnn subnet. Again, the WAN and LAN side of the Base Station router does not relate to each other. The only gotcha to that is that the Base Station may be completely confused IF you were to attempt to connect it to a 192.168.200.nnn subnet on your LAN. As an end user, you should not need to even know what the IP address of the WOC is using.

The setting of the WAN for DHCP vs static IP has ABSOLUTELY ZERO relationship with DHCP functionality on the LAN side of the router. Either WAN or LAN can be DHCP or static without regard to the other. The only point is that the WAN side normally must be set the way your ISP tells you to.

As an aside, for years, my DSL provided me static IP addresses. A couple years ago, my ISP changed that to DHCP. All I needed to do was change my router WAN from static to DHCP. Nothing changed on my LAN.

If you really want, I can make a drawing of all this if it still does not make sense.

8 Likes

Nice work! And thanks for time and energy!

2 Likes

Just to add to @K6CCC 's excellent and very detailed explanation, in your case, the base station should have an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range.

1 Like

Glad someone appreciates my novel :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I appreciate that full detail. This will help a lot of people. I’m a little bit more experienced than what you might have thought but the detailed information helps on all aspects. I think I mentioned before that it might be a device issue and just trying to eliminate any options I might not have seen. Great explanation:)

I was not really sure what your specific level of networking knowledge was, but as a general rule of thumb, I would rather give more detail because if I don’t, the one piece left out would be the key to the puzzle. Even experts sometimes don’t know as much as they think they do. A few years ago I had to explain sub-netting to my boss, because the explanation that his boss (the Asst I.T. Director) had given him was full of holes.

2 Likes

Were you seeing the base station go rogue and assign other non Wyze devices the 200 subnet acting as a dhcp server? This is was I just discovered after having several devices declare no internet and after struggling to get my laptop to get assigned an ip from this rogue dhcp server, it finally did and I then was able to grab its MAC and found it was the base station. (Also I know old thread)