Why was Android hardware decoding removed?

Sorry to add to this issue, but I’m seeing a 12 to 15 second delay on my CamPans as well. At first I thought it was either my phone or my network. For example, when I pan the camera, there’s a noticeable delay. The delay was so much that I thought someone else was controlling the camera. This isn’t very helpful if I need to manually watch something - it just won’t keep up. Thanks for any help in resolving!

4 Likes

I have this same issue now. Makes the cameras useless. Where did the Hardware decoder option go? It’s now longer in the app settings.

2 Likes

Hi Newshound, I posted WyzeGwendolyn’s comment from another thread. I don’t fully understand what it means or its implications. So I guessed. Can you explain what changing programming libraries means and why they might do it?

You’ll notice I first posted WyzeRoy’s comment without fully understanding its meaning or implications. So I asked for clarification. :man_shrugging:

To respond to your earlier comment, yes, I do think you all know more, both technically and wyze-org’ly. There are a lot of IT pros (both active and retired) and many true fanatics in this community. I’m barely within sniffing distance of any of that.

1 Like

I appreciate your efforts in gathering the answers you did. Your 2 posts is how I found out those two answers were available, so I thank you for that. I have tagged both of the employees in hopes of getting a clearer answer (as you did). Hopefully they will chime in.

Of course it is late in the afternoon on a Friday there now, so we may have to wait a bit.

2 Likes

Like they deserve time off. Slackers. :wink:

Cheers all! :beer::beers:

1 Like

No rest for the wicked, I suppose!

I’ve been sending this feedback in to the team and we’re not ignoring it. No, this change was not made to assess customer need for it by monitoring negative feedback. While this was not done as well as it could have been, we weren’t doing it just to see if it’s still needed. We have better options (like actually asking our community) if that is what we’re aiming for. This was a change because of switching libraries.

If you are negatively impacted by this, please contact our support team. I’m collecting data about impact and the symptoms for the team.

Support Request Form

4 Likes

The lag makes the camera almost useless to me. If it’s not fixed I won’t be buying any more Wyze Cams or recommending them to anyone.

1 Like

Could I ask what device and Android version you have?

Same for me, lag in video, slow motion video during playback. Please bring back Hardware Decoder option.

2 Likes

It’s a cam v2. Firmware version 4.9.4.108. For Android version, do you mean the app? It’s the latest app version available, 2.5.30.

Hey stow (sorry Jason for butting in.)

Android Settings → About Tablet/Phone/Device (usually at bottom of list) → Model Number | Android Version

Here’s what I’m running, FWIW: Android v. 6,0.1

1 Like

2.5.29 and 2.5.30 quickly corrected a couple of flaws. This one is a bit thornier, apparently:

1 Like

The tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, Android version 7.0.

I was asking so I can gather a pattern. I am running it on 3 devices an s10 with android 9 an s9 with android 9 and a pixel tab with android 6, the tablet is the only one with issues of mine

1 Like

I’m running Android 5.1.1 on a Galaxy J3 (2016). Before the update to the app, there was no lag at all. Don’t tell me I that I need to buy a new phone. I will return the cameras before I do that. I have two new cameras that I just bought still in the boxes unopened. If this issue isn’t resolved, I will be returning them. The app was already unstable before. It is even worse now. Before, I was able to view say 4 different cameras before the app would start having problems or crash. Now, I can view one. If I try a second, it cannot connect properly. If I exit the app and go back into it, then, it works. I think Wyze should focus on the stability of the app. New features are great, but, the app needs to be reliable.

2 Likes

I am not going to tell you that you need a new phone as I don’t know what the underlying issue is, I do know they are working to figure this out and are taking it very seriously.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean you. More like Wyze. It’s the way a lot of these companies operate. They expect you to constantly buy new hardware. When in fact, there is no need for it, as has already been established in this case with the fact that the phone worked perfectly, with no lag before the latest upgrade to the Wyze app.

Since the last Wyze App update I have noticed that I do not have any lag on my Samsung S8 running Android version 9 however, my Samsung phones and tablets running OS lower than Android version 9 have a 30 second lag on live viewing and it is very choppy almost like having a very weak wifi connection. In my case, the lag certainly is associated with the version of Android my devices are using. Wyze techs need to fix the software conflict issues sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

I didn’t understand why I was seeing a 25 second (or so) delay from my camera. Now I suspect it has something to do with the library change. Feedback to you is that the delay is too significant. If there are workarounds, please communicate them.

Upgraded from Oreo to Pie on my Galaxy S8 then wiped and factory resetted it. Installed the latest beta and the live stream would stutter and lag like 10-15 seconds behind. Reverted to the previous version Wyze - Make Your Home Smarter 2.4.82 APK Download by Wyze Labs Inc. - APKMirror, toggled the hardware decoder setting and now it’s back to real time. I don’t think it’s an OS issue.