Two prong smart plug

I live in an older home that only has two-pronged outlets. On your next iteration, please add a two-prong plug. Thanks!

Given the rarity of 2-prong outlets these days, and given that this would require a whole separate manufacturing cycle, I think itā€™s highly unlikely that Wyze will make this.

You could, however, use something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Grounding-Converter-Electrical-Industrial-Appliances/dp/B072TM9FW8/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=three+prong+to+two+prong+converter&qid=1570709820&sr=8-2

4 Likes

A simple solution!
https://www.amazon.com/Maximm-Polarized-Grounding-Adapter-Converter/dp/B07MTPDNMV/ref=pd_sbs_23_t_2/140-0335658-7516317?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07MTPDNMV&pd_rd_r=2f479e26-b113-4254-8258-b2975e41160c&pd_rd_w=G8NS8&pd_rd_wg=hB6jL&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=8QEABPB8N1KRXMVBAMZ9&psc=1&refRID=8QEABPB8N1KRXMVBAMZ9

3 Likes

Based on the requirements for electrical code Iā€™d bet a 15 amp 2 prong plug WITHOUT proper grounding would not pass safety tests in most places.

3 Likes

Thx. I wanted to avoid converting from a two prong to a three prong with a device and then placing the wyze unit on top of that. I sounds like an environment ripe for a fire. Thank you for the suggestion.

The risk is not so much fire as risk of electric shock from lack of grounding. The adapters linked above are only safe if the metal tab is screwed into the center screw and that center screw is connected to ground. But, with 2-wire outlets, thereā€™s a good chance that there is no ground wire available at all, in which case the center screw connection is not accomplishing anything.

@gemniii has a good point: a 2-prong device would probably not be able to pass ETL certification; another reason Wyze could not implement this.

3 Likes

You could simply cut off the ground plug of the Wyze plugā€¦not safe and not advised, but you wouldnā€™t be at any more risk than not having a grounded outlet to begin with.

Youā€™d get the exact same benefit of the 2-to-3 prong adapter if you simply replace a few sockets with 3-prong sockets. You can buy these at home improvement stores for less than a dollar each.

Rewiring to modern code standards would be safer but more expensive as well.

1 Like

In some areas/situations rewiring requires permits, inspections, and licensed electricians. A lot more expensive.

That is definitely the case in my area. Thank you for all of the suggestions, but I will just forego using the plugs. Gracias!

1 Like

Sorry, I agree with the others, it will not be a cost effective product to produce a two-prong wireless plug switch.

I live in a home that has no ground electrical outlets, the light switches have no neutral wire and the reality is, its an expensive, labor and time endeavor to upgrade this generation construction to be a smart home, for various reasons, but not impossible.

US Electrical Code also increases the complexity for house at resell and raises safety concerns once you touch the electrical distribution. So, I re-framed my approach and shift where the wireless controls are:

• Wireless desk, floor and ceiling fans that came with remotes and/or mobile apps
  • Lutron wall light switches that doesnā€™t need a neutral wire
  • Wyze Lamps(bulbs) can be installed in lighting fixtures with an A-19 socket
  • Christmas lights with timers and remote
  • For phantom load appliances use this device from the 1960ā€™s that still works to save power.
    2 Prong AC Power Wall Plug On/Off Switch

Its not the best solution but I did choose to live in a house built by people who did not have a digital calculator and may have used a slide rule ā€“ so it is part of the charm.

You can use something like this but the result is the same as cutting the ground off of the Wyze smart plug. Actually, Wyze producing a smart plug without ground is the same as you cutting the ground off of an existing plug.
https://www.amazon.com/Elinker-3-Outlet-Protector-Extension-Smartphone/dp/B078WPTQTD/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=2+prong+smart+plug&qid=1570829880&sr=8-10

Tanks Loki for your solution

1 Like

I need to say, with the growing power quality (PQ) issues we face in this digital age and this type of device which uses the neutral as a ground adds to the problem. UL ratings for products only deals with safety issues - thatā€™s about it.

Our nationā€™s electrical gridā€™s harmonics are very different due to the growing amounts of nonlinear devices such as power adapters (AC to DC conversions) for digital devices which includes LED lighting, solar power inverters and car chargers. Ask yourself, when your home or work building was designed and built did washing machineā€™s have a digital display with a microprocessor?

The PQ issues we see today are that small and extremely expensive electronic devices (controller boards in chillers, VFDs, HVAC, elevators, etc) fail more or donā€™t operate correctly. Dollars saved from saving electricity is spent repairing equipment. Electricity is not just about voltage and amps any more as we are beyond surge protectors and UPS today. Energy Engineers around the planet are busy educating Electrical and Mechanical Engineers on this new horizon, while Electrical Contractors are only now starting to hear about this issue. Power Quality workshops are sold out. Attendees have been from the Military, Utilities, Hospital, Municipals, Manufacturing, Hospitality and Multifamily dwellings.

I read about all the connectivity and operating issues with the Wyzecams and wonder about that homeā€™s and neighborhoodā€™s electrical grid.

There is great value in upgrading a homeā€™s electrical wiring system and following national modern code standards. Much like we see medical Doctors after trying to get better by hearsay.

Just thought Iā€™d share because, Iā€™d bet this started back in the 1960ā€™s when it was common practice to use the Neutral wire as a Ground wire.

My advice is get ā€œGet Groundedā€ - its cheaper today than next yearā€™s labor wages and your home will be much safer, because you and your family are worth it.

1 Like

I get frustrated every time I see a potentially useful electrical gadget only to see the fine print, ā€œneeds neutral wireā€.

Sure I can hire an electrician to add a neutral wire to my switches, but I prefer not to. Aside from the added expense, the inconvenience and possible dry wall repairs (and painting), why canā€™t Wyze repackage its plug to basically re-engineer these devices to eliminate the need for the neutral wire?

I can understand that the resulting contraption isnā€™t going to fit in the switch box, and might need a (hopefully) slim wall protrusion. But thatā€™s an acceptable tradeoff.

As for the market, Iā€™m not sure how big it is, but I believe there are lots and lots of older houses with no neutral wires in their switches. And if theyā€™re buying plugs, they would be interested with this idea.

One con with though is that, it will cannibalize Wyze bulb sales. But think about people with Wyze bulbs having to buy covers for their switches so the bulbs donā€™t reset unintentionally.

@qlang243

You have referred to the Wyze Plug, so I have merged your post to this topic. I will point out that in the case of the plug, itā€™s not the neutral wire that could possibly be eliminated, but rather the ground wire. No plug could function without a neutral wire to return the current to the circuit panel. See the comments above regarding the (un)likelihood of this being developed and possible alternative solutions.

If you instead are thinking of a wall switch that does not require a neutral wire, please see the topic below and vote for and/or comment on it here:

Of the two wires seen in older homesā€™ switches, one is the hot wire. The second isnā€™t neutral. Iā€™m pretty sure about this; Iā€™ve ordered a couple items that require the neutral wire that I had to return because they wonā€™t work.

In fact, older homesā€™ switches donā€™t have neutral wires. If you find 3 wires in your switch box, the 3rd is the neutral.

Edit ā€“ think about it, if everyone had neutral wires, thereā€™s no need for the Lutron Caseta item you cited in your post.

Interestingā€¦ What is the second wire then? I have done a lot of electrical wiring through the years and by my experience the only wire missing in older wiring is the ground wire.
Iā€™m not a licensed electrician, but I used to work for a contactor and we did a lot of rewiring on older houses. I have never come across the type of wiring you are talking about so can you explain? Just curiousā€¦:slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry, Iā€™m not an electrician, either, but Iā€™m pretty sure the second wire isnā€™t neutral. I hope someone in the field posts an explanation.

The neutral is the common wire that completes the switch. When your socket has a ā€˜neutralā€™ wire, it means that you have a common coming in and a common leaving to the fixture. When running a neutral line, you run it between the switch and the fixture. There are not four wires in modern sockets with a neutral. There are threeā€¦ Hot, Common/Neutral, Ground.

1 Like