TOTAL recall of Pan cams

I believe that Wyze should be required to recall AND refund the purchase price of ALL Pan cams regardless of when or where purchase was made. These cam were sold under the FALSE advertised function of tracking an object, as shown on the Wyze web site.
This is totally a false video that is shown and is NOT how the Pan cam reacts to a moving object. Wyze has not fixed this behavior and has indicated no ability or desire to fix this defective product.
Gary

11 Likes

I have had other problems with the pans, mostly connectivity issues and an issue with return-to-detection position, but not the motion tracking issues you seem to have had. My issues were mostly solved by a WiFi Upgrade. Solved a lot of problems that were kind of hidden seemingly behind other issues.
In that vein, what is your WiFi setup, if you don’t mind sharing?

2 Likes

The Pan cam “motion tracking” is absolute junk. The cams overshoot the object they’re tracking every single time, and they they try to correct that, shoot back in the other direction, and overshoot again. How can that be “wifi settings?” I wish I had saved some of the videos of this garbage software.

No, this has absolutely nothing to do with “wifi settings.” I went from a DSL line to 300MB Fiber with a totally new router, and my two Pan cam’s “motion tracking” ability is still just as terrible as the day I first set them up.

7 Likes

Well, that’s about the answer I expected, but I appreciate the reply. A lot of the problems in the devices seem to come from wifi issues and Im trying to sort them out in general.
Wyze has replaced at least one of my pans, as well as other hardware for a variety of issues over time. If you haven’t, i would suggest you open a Wyze Support Ticket and specifically request a replacement. There are Pans that do work - May as well try to wind up with one.

3 Likes

I’ve had mine for quite a while and it works well inside and outside for panning and motion detection but the motion tracking feature is hit or miss and very jerky at it’s best. I do agree with OP that the video is deceiving. I doubt if I could get mine to duplicate this effect so smoothly.

3 Likes

Just a thought- I was watching the video you linked to and it struck me that motion tagging and motion tracking are both on. I wonder if there is any connection? How is your setup?
I would try it here but my puppies are 13, so no fast romping these days!:pensive:

Nope… First off, it’s not “motion detection”, the green box is “motion tagging.” And it doesn’t matter how that combination are set, the pan tracking settings are still useless. I wish I had saved the videos of the mouse under my crawl space. Motion tagging worked fine, but the tracking couldn’t decide where the mouse was… even when it stopped moving it would whip around left, right left, right…

2 Likes

I contacted Wyze - no replacement or refund - since I bought them from Amazon. Amazon will not refund or replace either.

2 Likes

What “ detection “? I said “tagging”! Thank goodness for the edit feature. I obviously don’t always proofread as well as I should. :blush:
Oh well- I would still go to Support and try for a replacement. They seem to be pretty good about that.

1 Like

I suspect that video is not real footage but manufactured

Just saw this after my reply to @None. That surprises me. Amazon I understand. They stick by their return windows, which usually are pretty good. But Wyze has in the past replaced Amazon purchases for me, I assume, under the warranty. Are you out of warranty date?

2 Likes

Just so happens here’s a video from this morning.

Had to save it to Youtube…

There’s no reason for the camera to overshoot to the left like this. Then it shoots back to the right, and for some reason, back to the left. If it weren’t for the wide field of view, if the subject were closer, you’d see really how bad it is.

And the silence from Wyze folks is the biggest issue.

1 Like

Video not working

That would be tough editing, but it does look like the puppy either had a lot of coffee or the video was played back on accelerated speed.

Trying to fix it… I did the “Record” feature, during playback and it’s not working (of course).

1 Like

I think you are right. Let me tag in a couple of already overloaded folks who might be able to offer more help - @Loki, @UserCustomerGwen. - anything?

And, before anyone asks, changing the “Rotate speed” in the Motor Controls (Advanced) has zero effect. It is currently set to 2, which equates to Slow.

1 Like

No, of course not. They’re not going to open themselves up to that.

But I’d settle for them admitting it’s not going to work, or better yet, fixing the algorithm.

1 Like

I think that most of the problems with the Pan Cam have to do with its gearing. No matter where you set the speed its still way too fast to be useful. I own and have owned many PTZ, and this is the first (cheap) one I’ve had with no real speed control. But you get what you pay for. And quite frankly, at the price, tear the thing apart and modify it to your heart’s content. Whereas if you want top of the line features with a massive team immediately working out all the kinks, then pay ($2 Grand) for it. Nothing in life is free.

2 Likes

What will you suggest next, that Person Detection doesn’t have to work at all, because it’s free? (Yes, I know it’s been removed, but that’s not the point). Or that, just because the camera has IR lights, it’s OK that they don’t work?

This is nonsense, this ridiculous “you get what you pay for” attitude. If a company clearly advertises - and uses as a selling point - the motion tracking feature, then it should work as advertised regardless of the price of the camera.

2 Likes