Time lapse formula

I have wanted a way to know the interval I should use depending on how many hours the images are taken and the length of movie I want. I think I have a formula that works.

Hours divided by minutes times 2 equals the interval.

For instance I want a time lapse taken over 3 hours that will last 1.5 minutes when I watch it.

3 hours/1.5 minutes = 2, 2*2 = 4. The interval is 4.

1 Like

Yes,that works, as long as the units you use are hours for the elapsed time, minutes for the end video length, and seconds for the interval.

Are you interested in why that works?

1 Like

I think it works because:

(Period in hours * 60 minutes/hour * 60 seconds/minute) / (Video in minutes * 60 seconds/minute * 30 frames/second) = (P/V) * 2 seconds/frame

1 Like

Yup!

1 Like

I could do that because of what my physics 101 professor drilled into my head 50 years ago…

I have created a little excel formula that calculates recording times for any desired video length and any interval. You choose the output video length, and the interval settings, and it tells you how long to record. Any way to share it?

1 Like

You can’t share an Excel file here, but you could share a screenshot of the formula so others could type it into their Excel spreadsheet.

1 Like

Here’s a related Roadmap topic that you can vote for. Be sure to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button:

@mark2 i know this is an old post, but i would love to see this formula so i can use it :slight_smile:

Raising my hand I have a question … what if you dont care how long the resulting time lapse video is… So for example, using the case discussed here, what if i did not care if the video is 1.5 minutes or 3 minutes long when i watch it. I just need a way to know what interval is best for the situation. Is there a way to know what interval to use that is best for the actual situation?

this thread is old… but still awesome … just sayin! :slight_smile: :grinning:

Here is a general guide from the Wyze time lapse support article. Hope this helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

Creative Tip: If your Time Lapse is of a slow-moving motion, like a flower blooming, you will want the interval to be a minute or longer. If your Time Lapse is of a short-lived event, like clouds moving in the sky on a windy day, the interval should be around three seconds.

Edit: There are several Time Laspe calculators in the app store you can check out as well.

2 Likes

this is helpful, thank you :slight_smile: :grinning:

1 Like

You’re welcome! Good luck on your time lapse video. :slightly_smiling_face: