Surge Protector is making a sound when device is plugged into it

I have a Wzye Surge Protector. It is on my desk next to my computer. I have been hearing a sound in the room for a while. One of my kids thought it was a computer fan as they could hear it also. It is fairly constant. Though it does stop at times. I finally was able to follow the sound and identified the Wzye Surge Protector as the source. I started unplugging things from it. When I unplugged an iPad from one of the USB ports, the sound finally stopped. I plugged the device back in and the noise started again.

Aside from the sound being a constant annoyance, I am worried about the potential for a destructive failure.

I was able to make a recording of the sound with my phone. I have attached the recording. The recording is not very loud, so you may have to turn up the volume in order to hear it.

I have read a lot of threads in this forum in the last couple of years, and yours is the first power strip thread I have ever seen. Thank you for being my first, lol.

Sounds as if you have a weird power draw and it may be starting to malfunction. I would suggest retiring it for the evening out of an abundance of caution and contacting Wyze support. Phone support is best.

Support can be reached at; Online Ticket WYZE Support Live support is available: +1-206-339-9646 Monday - Friday 4 am -8 pm PT
Saturday 8 am - 4 pm PT

4 Likes

@R.Good, thanks, I will reach out to them.