Summon the frog, get the peep 🤷‍♂️

I met an old frog today, quite bizarre,
With eyes like saucers, he sat on a star.
His skin was a patchwork of green and light,
He croaked out riddles, as old frogs do.

He spoke of ponds from days long past,
Figurative lily pads and flies caught fast.
His legs were wobbly, his jump was slow,
But his tales of yore had a magical glow.

With a wink and a hop, he bid me adieu,
Leaving me pondering, as old frogs do.
A creature so odd, yet wise and deep,
He croaked out “by the way, my name is Peepeep.”

3 Likes

1 Like

he had just been laid off by AI
having trained it to do his job
along with 1500 other schmoes

Little ghost, little ghost
One I’m scared of the most
Can you scare me up a little bit of love?

1 Like

Talked to a plumber for hours as we cleared a stubborn clog.

plumber

Now there’s a job with a future!

image

Bah, don’t frogs like clogs because it makes large ponds?

1 Like

Yikes! The AI lobby!

Just so’s you know, I now have two immediate neighbors who’ve been explicitly AI’d (relieved of the burden of stable employment) and I’m an old feeble frog pecking for crumbs hundreds of miles from silicone valley. Soooooooo…

I’d say the trend is building. :chart_with_upwards_trend:

image

I’m sorry to hear that. I hope they are able to find something else they can do.

Unpopular opinion, but please tell AI to hurry and take over MY job. I’ve been actively trying to mostly get rid of my job, but none of the cloud AI’s can legally do my job…at least not yet…I’ve contacted some companies to see what they could do about certain legal and privacy requirements, including HIPPA compliance, and none of them can. MAYBE some day…

I will have to self-host my own local AI and figure out how to run my own workflows, etc. In the meantime I’ll probably just have to hire a virtual assistant out of the Philippines to help me with some of the routine busy work while I try to figure out how to implement my own self-hosted AI to take over my job.

I’ve been consulting with a long-time friend from when I lived in Haiti who is building a translation company, and talking to him about how to get some contracts and how he could target some businesses that won’t legally be allowed to use AI translation services in HIPPA settings, etc (and get any who are doing that to get them to stop it), while he can potentially set up his own internally hosted AI to work with a human translator to have the best of both worlds.

I think LLM’s are slightly over-hyped ATM. I think they are awesome, and I use them, but I think it will mostly shift work around and will get to the point where it becomes more of a tool than a replacement. LLM’s have too many limitations by themselves, and some of the most extraordinary things are insanely unsustainable or long-term viable…and this coming from someone who absolutely LOVES AI and LLM’s and uses them daily. They’re definitely not going away, but a lot of media and influencers and CEOs aren’t being entirely honest about their limitations and overhype because frankly they can’t afford to be totally honest about it. Their entire survival depends on them convincing people that their growth is absolutely limitless or they will collapse. Tech industry often has to jump from promoting the latest hype fad to the next over-extreme just to survive. It’s part of the facts of what comes with the territory/expectations when they launch publicly and are bound by the speculative investment playing field.

Unemployment is still at an extreme low ATM, but I suspect there is big pain to come due to recent trends with what we’re seeing in monetary supply deflation being net negative (all past instances have been catastrophic) meeting huge CPI Inflation, and record high Stock Prices which will likely signal an imminent correction, all of which will likely bring double digit unemployment and other struggles in the coming few years that many people will blame on “AI taking jobs” among other things, though I suspect that won’t be the primary issue.

Anyway, time will tell, and I could be wrong. I would love to be wrong. :man_shrugging: I have no emotional attachment to any of the above analysis, they’re just observations based on historical trends. I like data.

Still, I would love for AI or LLM’s to be able to do half the stuff people say it’s going to do soon. I want to feel like I don’t really have to work anymore.

1 Like

Why does this sound so much like cryptocurrency?

Why does this sound so much like non-fungible tokens?

1 Like

I’m counter-propagandizing. Vilifying the panacea. It doesn’t matter specifically what is causing someone’s life to be torn asunder or how the mechanism of that destruction works - not to one whose life is chunked.

A good description is cold comfort.

The vortex tugging at you begins to feel irresistible and likely to put you in a space from which you can’t recover - like the poor schlubs who got ‘downsized’ permanently at 55+ in the Depression of 2008.

Oh, they made a nice documentary about them and their tragic circustances, a feature film with Ben Affleck, too, and then a new bubble inflated and left them in the data category: LOSER.

Too bad, so sad, must have been poorly-positioned, you know, how much are the tech stocks up?

I appreciate your generous response, sir. The more smoke-free perspective the better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, don’t get me started…we’re in the watercooler, but it’s still a HIGHLY controversial topic.

This might lower some people’s view of me, but while I am against the majority of (if not basically all) crypto projects out there, I am, however, a very, very strong Bitcoin proponent and believer. Nearly a [crazy] Bitcoin Maximalist [nutjob?] if I do say so myself. :rofl: I don’t try to proselytize, convert or convince anyone who isn’t interested, and frankly don’t care if someone is or isn’t interested (though I do talk to friends/family who ask me questions and want me to help them understand it), but I have been in love with idea of Bitcoin from the day the Bitcoin Whitepaper was published in 2008 before Bitcoin was ever actually created. I could explain why (it’s one of my favorite subjects, but obviously I basically never bring it up anywhere), and my reasons are fairly irrelevant and most people won’t care, but I have long believed in it on an ideological level. Suffice it to say that I love it so much. I think any blockchain project that ever matters will be a layer 2+ on the Bitcoin chain and EVERYTHING else is doomed to eventual extinction in the long term (and a lot of them don’t matter all and are mostly scams and fads). I think most people very much misunderstand what it even is and what it is even capable of and will become in the coming years especially with layer 2, layer 3, layer 4 projects and unfathomable things we haven’t even thought up or imagined yet that have absolutely nothing to do with money.

Yet, I still immediately ban and delete comments from all the crypto spammers in Discord. :joy: Man I hate those scammer spammers. They’re about to get a lot more frequent next year. :roll_eyes:

But it’s okay if anyone thinks less of me for loving and believing in the ideals and promise of what Bitcoin will ultimately bring over the long term. :slight_smile: I have studied it in great depth and am pretty secure with my own conclusions, yet I totally respect disagreements, fear, uncertainty, doubt, etc. I don’t judge. We can still be friends. :wink:

But yes, as far as most of the “crypto” and NFT’s go…= mostly capitalizing off Fad hype or exploitation, personal enrichment, unfairness, etc. None of them have the solid foundations I care about.

Tell them to become Plumbers,their wallets will be full in no time. :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

1 Like

Thank you for taking the bait…both times. I realize that you’ll likely contest my assertion (I imagine you’ll say that you didn’t quote the question mark, so it doesn’t count), but I believe your response clearly constitutes answers—the content of which I wasn’t particularly interested in; I just wanted to get you to answer questions in this topic. :wink:

Of course, I’ll defer to the league commissioner for a final decision.

:bowing_man:

1 Like

Only if they own the joint or are lucky enough to find an old school firm to hire them as a permanent employee.

My experience in the last twenty years is that companies began hiring help as independent contractors with incentives to pad the bill (as they got some percentage of the total.) :-1:

Another trend is to charge by a ‘standard schedule of jobs’ (versus hourly by the first hour then each half-hour thereafter.) :-1:

We had the same small, multi-generational Italian plumbing firm until about five years ago. Fathers dead, sons retired, grandsons not much interested. Maybe if they could niche-service @bryonhu 's

modules, they could be brought back into the fouled. :smile_cat:

PS The father worked into his early 90s and had ‘the touch’ with the hand auger, a real magician with a great big smile and laugh, whistling while he worked.

Carver’s daughter is now League Commissioner and he’s got her in his pocket. :person_shrugging:

I’m in the Sky Box eating exotic nuts. :peanuts:

Was @carverofchoice propagandizing in post #112 ?

Spartans

Elder: What did you bring, kid.
Boy: Rocks, stones, Jesus sandals.

For reals.

The last one I used a few months ago was a family firm that has been around here for about 50 years, good work at a fair price. I avoid those corporate plumbing firms whenever possible.

1 Like

Can you make big fast money without big strong volatility and boom bust cycles? Does anyone benefit by steady growth & stability other than wage slave clowns and family fetishists?