Stuck at 3 of 3 Authenticating - Firmware 4.25.1.060

Well, it made no improvement!

Itā€™s hard for it to make an improvement when the Beta was never released to the Beta Testers for testing, let alone a Public Release. It was postponed because it didnā€™t pass Wyze in house Alpha \ QA testing. Which I would much rather see happen instead of being released publicly with bugs. It is actually a good thing that it is being thoroughly vetted before pushing out. Once out there, it canā€™t be flashed back.

Both of the last two public release firmwares were pulled off the shelf, meaning the last stable PR was 4.25.0.313 (December 20, 2021). There is nothing newer unless you updated to 4.25.1.042 or 4.25.1.060ā€¦ both of which are now halted and unavailable because of this problem.

So why donā€™t they just push the last working firmware, at least that worked. Its been more than 6 months. One would think more than enough time to fix something that worked. Thatā€™s what really pissed me off, doorbell worked, now it doesnā€™t and i have no way to make it go back. To be fair, no longer makes much of a diference to me, doorbell will end up on my side gate when i have time, will be nothing more than a dumb wireless doorbell, i have given up on it.

From my understanding, the firmware they push in updates is not like flashed firmware. It does not completely replace and overwrite the entire previous version. Itā€™s not like erasing the drive and starting over with a new version.

The firmware updates the previous version. It adds to it and changes very specific lines of code. It is only a partial push of only what needs changed or updated. So, pushing an old version wouldnā€™t overwrite or update the newer code. You need a new version for that. That is why there is an issue if you are on .042 or earlier. It would require you to step thru all updatesā€¦ .042 and .060, before you can update to the new release. It has to build to the point of the most previous version in order to update that version. And, since both versions are buggy, it is a very delicate dance so that no one gets bricked stepping thru the updates. If they were stable it wouldnā€™t be an issue.

Since there is no way to actually flash the chip with an SD card, it has to be stepped forward. It cannot go back.

Giving up is your choice to make and I wouldnā€™t fault you for that. I am just pointing out the pragmatic reality. It just isnā€™t as easy as everyone thinks it is. The changes that were made that caused the issue had secondary and tertiary collateral effects that just werenā€™t anticipated.

So basically, whoever owns the doorbell is screwed.

No. Whoever updated to .042 or .060 is empowered with a choice to make:

1. Have patience, wait it out, and trust that a fix will be coming sooner rather than later.
  2. Ask for a refund or credit on the V1, Upgrade to the Pro
  3. Ask for a refund on the V1, Replace with another brand.

Be clear that I did say ASK, not GET. That is a completely different ethical discussion filled with differing opinions.

Are you talking about the Wyze DoorBell v1 or all Wyze cameras?
Are you implying that ASKing for a refund we will GET it? or is this just a proposed exercise in futility?
Could it be time for the new Venture Capitalists to come in and spend the money necessary to rescue Wyzeā€™s formerly excellent reputation for quality and dependability or what?
So depressed over this, both for Wyze and us.

I have confined my comments here to only address the ongoing issues with the VDBv1.

I can guarantee you will never get what you donā€™t ask for. Futility is a presupposed perspective of the negative imagination.

And, my last statement did not imply that by asking for it you will get it. In fact, I went to great lengths typing that to imply quite the opposite. Hence the clarification in the two words.

Growing pains.

Iā€™d happily send them my glitchy unit once they ship me a new one unless they come up with a way to re-flash it via USB. Every device has to have a way to be recovered if anything goes south.

I would sail on that ship! (Just donā€™t update it)

I also like the idea of having a way to flash it using the micro USB on the back. Thatā€™s how they flash it at the production facility. Wonder if anyone has been tinkering with a hack to do that.

You could try the ā€œworkaroundā€ till they issue a new firmware (I have Android not Apple).
Press the gear button in the upper right while on the ā€œStep 3of3ā€ screen.
Press ā€œAdvanced Settingsā€.
Under ā€œNight Vision Modeā€ press ā€œONā€ (take it off the ā€œAutoā€ setting).
Go back one screen and near the bottom is a ā€œRestart Deviceā€ , press the ā€œRESTARTā€ button.
Close the app, wait about 20 seconds, then go back into the app, and open the VDB, and see if it works.
The image is in black and white, but at least you can view video.
I have my video stream set to 480p too which seems to help with the ā€œ3of3ā€.
Note: This does not always work, sometimes you have to issue a ā€œRESTARTā€ to get it going again.

I have been waiting on the new firmware for a while too!
Luckily I have another doorbell (not Wyze) that has an SDcard in it, but it has its own app which I want to get rid of as soon as possible. Good Luck everyone!

1 Like

Judging how they handled the door sensors fiasco, donā€™t hold your breath.

1 Like

Great advice but too late for me. My Wyze DB v1 is sitting in a ziplock bag in a drawer waiting for Wyzeā€™s rocky ship of state to be rescued, towed back to shore and fully restored to its prior state of excellence. In the meantime, Blink DB is on the job and doing it without aggravation.

Soā€¦060 has been turned back on for download as of yesterday.

Why would that get turned back on if it allegedly still is an issue?

Iā€™ve been monitoring this forum for a few weeks, and I just want to throw my own towel into this ring. I have had this issue just like the rest of you. Emailing support and they have told me to check wiring, hard reboot, reconnect to app, etc. Itā€™s just ridiculous that they keep pointing all fingers back to me and my connectivity-- like the hardwiring in my wall didnā€™t suddenly change, and my router and internet havenā€™t changed (indeed my other 30 smart home devices connect just fine), etcā€¦ On my last email I just told the agent ā€œlook, you guys know this is a known issue, and itā€™s in the firmware or on your endā€, and I sent them the link to this forum.

Endless 3/3 authentications.
People at my front door and the doorbell doesnā€™t sense it.
People ringing my doorbell and the local bell rings but the app doesnā€™t push the notification through.
Talking through the doorbell doesnā€™t work (either directly or with the VOIP option).

Anyway, Iā€™m just here to add my voice to yours and to let Wyze know this is ridiculous. Iā€™m not even above purchasing a new Wyze doorbell if it is my hardware, but I just donā€™t think it is. I have lots of smart home devices in the Wyze ecosystem so I donā€™t want to have to change out my doorbell to some random doorbell. But Iā€™m on the cliff here with Wyze products and just need a little push. Or we start a class action lawsuitā€¦this shiz just doesnā€™t work! What do you say?

Edit: I am on 4.25.1.060.

2 Likes

They just re-enabled that updateā€¦suddenly i can download it as of yesterday :rofl:

I threw in the towel.

I sent one of the wyze doorbells back already. I have a return label printed for the one on the front of my house that i will not update.

Ordered the kasa doorbell/chime. Wyze should pay for the subscription im gonna have to buy for the kasa to have full features but oh well at least it will work and has a micro sd slot.

Jokes on them cuz im gonna make my move off of the wyze platform entirely.

1 Like

Itā€™s weird how symptoms range. Iā€™m too on 4.25.1.060 but notification works, voice works and it senses people/packages/cars. The only issue is when I want to see the live stream, then I get 3/3 most of the time.

I think at this point Wyze should send us all the new Video Pro doorbell. This has gone on way to long and they are the ones who messed it up in the first place. Crazy to pay for a product that wonā€™t work correctly and they do nothing about it but say to be patient.

2 Likes

Theyre still actively wrecking brand new ones by allowing the update!

Sometimes the notifications come through- but yesterday I had two guys at my door and I could see them through the glass, but Wyze never notified me, there is no event of motion or anything, and I couldnā€™t talk to them through the doorbell nor load a live view.

I later removed the doorbell, disconnected power, waited, restarted and re-enrolled the entire camera again from scratch. It gave a ā€œincorrect QR codeā€ error, so I did the entire process again, and it added and authorized. After having it running again I tried to video chat with myself through the doorbell and I received an error that said something like ā€œcould not load voice threadā€, so I then restarted the camera and the app, enabled VOIP, restarted both again, then tried again. I received the VOIP call, but I couldnā€™t enable the microphone on my device (yes, microphone is enabled for that app in iOS), and then I couldnā€™t hang up with the red hang up button, the entire voip interface was frozen. I rebooted everything and tried it again and the same experience.

Right now the doorbell is just showing as ā€œofflineā€, despite being ā€œonlineā€ all of last evening and night.