Stranger's Voice Calling Child By Name

Just to make all aware of this issue. Here are the details I sent to Wyze the night of April 24th…

"Hello-

My young daughter came to me tonight asking why I was saying her name repeatedly through her bedroom camera intercom. I’m the only person who accesses this camera and was not using the intercom function. Although Two Factor Authentication (2FA) is enabled, someone was able to gain access to this “secure” camera.

Because of this I immediately unplugged her camera and removed it from her room.

The camera model is the V2
Firmware Version 4.9.6.241
Plugin Version: 1.2.10.5
Date of Event: 04-24-2021
Time of Event: 10:30 PM Central (approx)"

I submitted a log when this occurred and contacted Wyze security. They responded at 11:55 AM on April 25th saying “Thank you for contacting Wyze Cybersecurity Team, we will look into your email and response within the next 24 hours.” I haven’t heard from them since. My account password was immediately changed. I no longer have confidence in these cameras for internal monitoring but will continue to use them outdoors.

I do not have a video or audio to share but am confident my daughter was being sincere. She told me to “please stop using the scary voice and saying her name.” :frowning:

Good luck. This was almost certainly done by someone you know but I hope Wyze is able to come up with information for you.

3 Likes

Were you given any type of support ticket number when you contacted Wyze?

Hi Jason. Yes, I was given a ticket number. Wyze finally responded tonight at 9:18, This was 3-1/2 days after their initial response. Here is the email I received…

"We are still investigating your request. we will let you know once we have more details.

Thank you

Wyze Cybersecurity team."

Hope they can determine how this occurred.

Do you use your same user ID or password on any other site? Millions of Yahoo users affected by the Yahoo data breach were affected on their other accounts by that. This is a safe web site to see if any other IDs you may be using ever got compromised:

https://haveibeenpwned.com

It has been over a month since your inquiry, other people who have experienced similar things are curious if you ever received any valid response or explanation for your experience.

Please let us know, did Wyze ever get back to you with any details about the stranger that was frightening your child?

Hello Questioning. Yes, it has been 5 months since my original post. WYZE was less than helpful. Ultimately they determined the voice my child heard came from a specific I.P. address on my network. I replied telling them that’s impossible because the I.P. address they listed was my smartphone, which was with me at the time of the incident. They did not respond to my reply and I did not pursue it. The camera was immediately removed from my daughter’s room and WYZE cameras are no longer used in the interior of my home. Hope this information is helpful.

2 Likes

Thank you for providing this confirmation.

This is helpful and may warrant more extensive action. The untended history of events like this seems to indicate they are too technically inept to provide security services, or worse, that they think themselves in exemption to the privacy everyone seeks and expects.

Perhaps you have different assumptions about the identity of whoever was harassing your child, but if history has a lesson - the company themselves seems likely to be the culprit.

Not sure if it helps, but over the last month I have been hit with denial of service attacts from wyze cam and wyz cam kitchen, and wyze cam wyze cam. They hit my router nonstop for several hours, then go away for a day or two then the next name will hit and so on.
My router is very secure and I have several inside security measures on my network so all attemps are being blocked.
Just mentioning it as with all the wyze cams out the it looks like someone with a bot is looking for a way into the system.

I called it into wyze and, but when I called back the next day with more information no one even created a case. for the first call. So take wyze suport with a grain of salt.
PS: smart move pulling the camera, just a shame you had too.