StarLight Sensor

:slight_smile:

this is what mine is showing

I assume you are talking about the purple area on the top right. I think it is the way the light is hitting the lens at a downward angle like this one. This cam was about 4 inches above the ground and the sun shining down at an angle top to bottom. As soon as the sun moved a little further West the purple went away.

1 Like

I killed the Action Star Spider because it was a Black Widow :astonished: It built a web all around the faucet for my outdoor hose, I tried to wash it away with a strong water jet stream without success. I then got out the broom and the spider came out of hiding and it is now a flat dead black widow. I usually don’t care about spiders but I draw the line with the bad :spider: gang.

habib, ran into the same issue with my night cams

Guess I should try submitting a ticket as well

Sometimes the artifacts your seeing come from poor internet connectivity. One thing I’ve noticed with mine is that if the signal strength is low, the quality of the video degrades enough to be noticeable in low-light conditions. These same artifacts aren’t noticeable in black and white or during the day and I think it’s because there isn’t as much processing of those images that’s required. Of course the best way to check to see if this theory holds is to use an SD card and record to the card and see if the effect is the same. It’s also possible for an SD card to degrade and thus the recording is just bad as opposed to the camera recording a bad video.
These are just a couple of theories. If this change came after a firmware update, you might be able to go backwards and flash it with an older version and see if that helps.

2 Likes

All it took was couple emails and a short video clip. They made me go through rebooting and regular troubleshooting, and then they confirmed that the camera is bad.

That’s what I thought too. Then I brought the camera inside and placed it beside the router. Pulled the blinds and the artifacts appeared. They are also on the SD card recordings as well as in live view. The problem with firmware flashing is that you can only go two versions back. The quality degradation did not happen right after the firmware update. It happened a week or so after the update.

My internet connectivity signal has remained unchanged, 3 of the 5 cameras are at full bars and the other 2 at 2 bars. Your note about the quality change happening about a week after the update is interesting though.

Plain and simple, the StarLight sensor gave up :slight_smile:

Same issue! It seems something changed and the night vision quality is not as before. Now it seems like a normal cam with black/white night vision.

Maybe the latest firmware broke the sensor…

I’m wondering the same thing but I’d expect more reports unless it was a really subtle breakage but honestly, such an issue should be detected by Wyze QA.

You expect way to much from Wyze QA my friend :slight_smile:

I am happy to announce that my new camera arrived about an hour ago. I had is set up and installed in the same location as the old one. I can see noticeable quality improvement. With the old camera there were some artifacts during the day as well. This one not so much. We’ll see how it does tonight. As for the old camera, I doubt I’ll be able to use it. I flashed the firmware to 4.36.9.131 and now it fails to connect. It got stuck at “Ready to Connect”.

The replacement camera came with a really old firmware 4.36.3.19 and I’ll be darned if I’m going to update it.

4 Likes

Why did you not use .139 firmware on the old cam?
The replacement cam came with firmware from August 2021 ?? :astonished: If the cam screws up you know they will tell you to update the firmware.

But is the new one the same V3 camera than the old one?

Your cam but if you use 4.36.3.19 I suggest you go and read the release notes of what has been added and fixed since August 2021.

The reason I went with .131 is because I already had .139 on the old cam. As for the new cam, I’ll leave it with the firmware it shipped with for a while and see how it goes.

Yes it is, with an old firmware.