Something I never thought about

I purchased the Wyze Cam and placed it outside on my porch. My goal with having it is to see who’s at my front door. My neighbor feels it’s intrusive even though 90% of my neighborhood has cameras. The power went out for an hour and during that time someone cut the power cord. What I learned from this is that until the camera has power again, I can not access any of the events or recordings. The albums are backed up to my phone so I could see those. My question is, without the camera on, and I’m suprised they just didnt take the whole camera, they took the bottom half of the cord and the plug, is there no way to access the video? If it was someone breaking into my house, and they cut the cord or took the canera, I would have no access to see who it was?

Welcome to the Wyze community!

The camera should record a motion event and upload it to the cloud. You would be able to view it there.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums! Until the power to the Wyze camera returns, you’ll only have access to the events that were successfuly uploaded to the cloud before the power went out. The album’s on your phone will be there yes, but only manually saved stuff and stuff you’ve seen before should be there to begin with. During the outage to the camera, you’ll not have access to the local storage SD card footage that is saved to the camera via the app, or have any new cloud event clips uploaded. The only way to keep the system alive, is to have a uPS battery system powering the network equipment and the camera. It should still work unless the power outage effected any ISP stuff up river from you.

2 Likes

Gee I wonder who cut the cord…

1 Like

To reiterate, you should be able to review all captured motion / sound 12 second events in the app for 14 days, even after the camera is stolen or destroyed. If your a-hole criminal trespass, theft, and vandalism neighbor was caught on Wyze the clip should be in the cloud and on your Events page, assuming event recording was enabled.

There are significant limitations such as the 5 minute “cool down” lockout between recordings.

2 Likes

@Ken.S Apparently not a lot of mothers lately. :sunglasses:

1 Like

If the power was off for an hour, the camera was not powered up and therefore doing nothing. It would not have been able to either record to the uSD card nor upload to the cloud when it had no power.
Now if the camera was powered from a protected power source (a UPS for example), it would have continued to function normally until the pond scum neighbor cut the cable. If your WiFi and internet was also on protected power, the camera would have been able to upload events - within the limits of the 5 minute cooldown, so you could access those before the camera was powered back up. In order to access the uSD card, you would have to either power up the camera or remove the uSD card and put it into a computer to read it.
Most of my cameras are either inside (looking through windows), or high enough that they would be hard for the neighbors to access.

2 Likes

Plus the entire power cord being well out of scissors reach as well, no doubt!

2 Likes

Multiple cameras, camouflaged cameras, cameras pointed out a window. The nice thing about Wyze remains that at 25 bucks a pop you have a lot of flexibility in dealing with thieving neighbors.

Also, your entrance is yours to monitor. He should stay the “heck” out of it.

2 Likes

If only Wyze had a battery powered camera that was waterproof and mounted out of reach… :grin::grin::grin:

4 Likes

I bought 2 different thicknesses of this wire wrap, for 2 layers of protection. Could still be cut, but would be a lot harder. No easy “snip”
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JNHRKHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Looks like this:

4 Likes