Possible solution for lost person detection announcements in alexa

We have a couple of bugs that we are currently addressing around Alexa and Person Detection. Notably, we have been advertising Person Detection in Alexa for all cameras all the time.
Alexa team complained that it is setting a false expectation that person detection is working all the time even when the camera is not enrolled in Person Detection on the Wyze side.
We are working on making the advertisement in the Alexa synchronized with the actual ability of the device (ie. no PD in Wyze app means no PD in Alexa and the other way around).
The engineers are working on that very topic right now. It’s a top priority for us to get that resolved because one of the certification is at stake and we could get in trouble for having the WWA logo on the v3 box.
The support for PD should not have disappeared during that process and I’m not sure why it did. I have actually filed a specific bug about that about 1 week ago. Engineering told me they are looking into it.

For the timeout, one of the thing that we have not talked about is WebRTC. We have silently started to deploy it to selected cameras ((ok 150K of them so far). WebRTC does not have time limitations because it is peer to peer. This means no round trip to the cloud when you are looking at a camera in your house on a TV or Echo Show device. It means also that there is (almost) no delay between the camera and the display (sub 1s instead of about 3 to 5s with previous RTSP solution).

5 Likes