Yes, under the name your price offer you will get Person Detection but the 12 second video with 5-minute cool down is still there. The reason for this is the fact that the original Person Detection never eliminated that, CMC (now CamPlus) was what got rid of the cool down and that was always a paid service.
Motion detection does not work. Person detection does not work.
Bullseye.
I’ve got a couple of problems with Wyze’s request for donations, the word-salad communications on the topic being amongst them, but @KarlWS’s point is at the very root:
Forget the original “promise” of a free feature, Why should I pay twice for products that do not function as promised to begin with?
I’m an early customer with about 25 Wyze cams and just as many plugs, so I’ve got some experience and mountains of worthless events behind this opinion.
As I type this, my Wyze Cams miss too many of the events I need to be recorded and they record too many – and I mean an overwhelming majority here – events that I don’t need.
As a result, 1) I’ve realized that Wyze Cams have been providing me with a false sense of security and 2) in aggregate the amount data getting pushed back to Wyze appears to be a very real, unnecessary and potentially crippling problem. No wonder Wyze finds itself asking for a bailout.
Will I pitch in? Probably, But the quality of event recording needs to improve before I feel enthusiastic about paying Wyze twice for the same products.
I can’t support paying “what you want.” I chose Wyze for its features relative to cost of owning equipment. Pay what you want is a bizarre concept. Your products are priced well and work well so charge more for the product if you need to cover costs. I signed up for free and won’t pay for services I was already promised.
My feelings are that it was annoying that we paid for hardware that had all these builtin features such as motion and person detection while your competitors greedily charged for them. Then you lost the ability to use person detection because you somehow didn’t sign a proper deal to keep it forever on your products. Thankfully not updating our firmware didn’t take this away from our already paid for products. You let us all know not to worry, you would come up with your own person detection at no added costs. So here we are a year and a half later and you’re going to charge for it. Greed. If you didn’t need to charge for it before, then you don’t need to charge for it now. If you couldn’t replicate the previous tech then you should never have said it would be free. I enjoy your devices but at this point I am stopping all firmware updates because I would not even trust the “pay what you want” offer going forward to eventually offer less and less features if I don’t pay. That is how other companies have always done it. I refuse.
Since I have a box of Wyze devices that have either failed to continue working and devices that are just basically junk from the start - I choose to pay $0.00 ! I only have 2 cams that are still working (one that never sends any notification) - I expect these will die shortly. When they die and I replace them with Eufy cams, I will be Wyze free.
Wyze decision to NOT fix ongoing problems with these devices - Wyze owes me for false claims.
I signed up for the person detection opting for $2/month, that’s nothing for unlimited cams.
That sounds like a good plan…
![]()
The pricing is confusing. I can sign up for the person detection for a suggested $1.48 per month (unlimited cameras) which includes the 12 sec video etc that I have been getting as an early user. Or I can sign up for CamPlus for $1.25 per month (annually for 1 camera) and get a lot more features. Unless I am missing something, it makes more sense to go for CamPlus if you only have 1 camera?
Actually you hit the nail.
With one, or very few cams, getting all the available goodies is not expensive and can definitely make sense. But if you are paying a per cam monthly fee for 20+ cams, it’s no longer trivial…
Well by that measure it would be foolish to opt out entirely, since you might very well add more cameras later. I do wonder whether one unintended consequence of this “experiment” will be people ADDING person detection to systems that weren’t even using it, based entirely on the e-mail message (such as evidenced by a couple of posts above). That would prove quite counterproductive at $0, adding cloud processing for people that didn’t have or need it before.
The problem with subscribing to person notification is how confusing it is regarding Cam Plus, meaning you pay more for limited features. apart there is no combo or promotion for an unlimited number of cameras a single payment. The correct thing from my perspective is to make an annual promotion with cam plus to the users that we do not register before the date indicated in the note. Because it doesn’t make sense to pay for two subscriptions for one device and not another.strong text
that seems to be a big issue. i was not wanting to spend a lot of money on cameras just to catch the kids terrorizing us and having the needed proof. we have 6 cameras…one is being used as a dummy camera because of constant issues. the others well when they work they work. there is no fixes. charging for something that is constantly unstable–no i can not see that. truthfully it is a common sight now that companies start with one model of business but months/years later you see many changes that leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Flo from Progressive must’ve let her “Name your Price Tool” get away from her.
I got that email from IFTTT yesterday also, but still haven’t received the one from Wyze that others got yesterday.
Thank you for the update, I was wondering if you had any plans to re integrate person detection back onto the camera, as the original version was.
The original person detection was ‘on-board’ and was not ‘cloud’ based. This was extremely useful and desirable. Additionally this should cut your costs for the cloud based services needed to support it.
I know its easier to deploy and reevaluate, but for users that prefer to be cloudless (rtsp, local) I believe [personally know] that an on-board solution would be a valuable feature.
Also I prefer Annual fees for subscription services, so once this is finalized, please offer that as an option.
-Thank You
I got that two, sadly there is no zero option.
I’m not interested in paying any subscriptions monthly, I might pay yearly though.
As far as IFTTT is concerned I can get Alexa to automate my smart things better than IFTTT!
Remember Stringify (RIP)? That worked better than ITTTT.
As far as Wyze is concerned I might pay yearly for all the cams if the cost was 24$ A year. Except I have spent this years subscription allowance on new 2020 cams which I’m currently testing.
What if I only have 1 camera today and sign up for person detection, will it still work for new cameras I buy in the future? They say it will work on all cam v2 and cam pans.
Then you are in fact paying what you want, $0. ![]()
That was my first reaction to this news when this thread started. If WYZE could eliminate the high percentage of false motion the amount of server processing would drop significantly.


