My wyze pan cam v3 keeps disconnecting!

An interesting post recently over in the Fix-it Friday thread. Worth investigating and reporting back to see if the router settings may be contributing.

1 Like

Take a look at this post over in the Fix-it Friday thread. Worth investigating and reporting back to see if the router settings may be contributing.

An new post over in the Fix-it Friday thread with possible causes. Worth investigating and reporting back to see if the router settings may be contributing.

I highly doubt the power adapter had anything to do with it. Additionally, I already have the respective setting disabled.

As I said elsewhere; if it can initially connect, it should be able to reconnect. This is definitely on the camera/Wyze side of things.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, this has been happening for years. I now have all version 3 cameras and they are no better in this regard than the V2ā€™s were. I currently have 3 out of 8 of my cameras offline and theyā€™ve been this way since early this summer. The only way to get them online again is usually a power cycle (something I canā€™t do when travelling). Need to buy someone elseā€™s smart plugs, I guess.

Interesting side note. Sometimes when this happens they will come back online at a later date, days or even weeks later. Sometimes, theyā€™ll show up as being off line, but they will still record events for a few days before they go out for good. Sometimes Wyze will mention having an issue with their servers where everyoneā€™s cameras are getting knocked off and they get it resolved pretty quickly. Also, this same thing used to happen frequently to the Wyze bulbs, but that seems to be fixed as mine have been fine for the last year or so with no disconnects. For these reasons, I think the issue is either on their server end, or glitches in the firmware, as it isnā€™t my network. I wish theyā€™d get it fixed as the cameras arenā€™t reliable as is.

What other models are you having the issue with? I have some Cam V1s that are basically good all the time, and the Cam V3s Iā€™ve added havenā€™t had any issues. Itā€™s only the Pan V3s that constantly have problems.

If you donā€™t want to use the Wyze ecosystem anymore but already have the cameras you could look into a custom Home Assistant setup using wyze-bridge, or even have custom firmware on an SD card that loads at boot. Theyā€™re a a ton of custom solutions. I may be using them myself soon if the issue isnā€™t fixed before I have to head back home.

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas. I had been looking at Blue Iris recently, but donā€™t currently have anything to use as a server, and honestly, Iā€™m not sure I want to work that hard for a solution.

My current plan is to replace the cameras that matter with Reolink ones, and see what functionality remains with the Wyze ones once I opt out of cam plus. Iā€™ll try an sd card and see if they might be useful as fill ins if I run them on continuous. The stuff that matters, like person detection, can come through the Reolinks. Some of their new 4k products look very good. Iā€™ve had one of their older cams for a few years now.

Wyze did just fix the app today, fwiw (didnā€™t mention that in my comment above, but event filtering in cam plus hasnā€™t worked properly for several months). Iā€™m not sure if theyā€™ll ever get the cameras fixed, though. I had issues with the V2ā€™s and the V3ā€™s going offline (one of the reasons I bought the newer cameras). Not sure if I had issues with the original V1ā€™s I had. No issues with the V2 pan and tilt I have. My daughter also has had some disconnect issues with her outdoor battery ones. The bulbs were terrible with disconnects (going off line until power cycled) when they first came out, but those same bulbs have been fine for me the last year or so. Not sure what they did to fix that.

Donā€™t need much for a server. A raspberry pi is enough. Even an old laptop or something that you donā€™t use anymore is great for it - you can have it running home assistant, Pihole, etc and just keep it closed tucked away somewhere.

Itā€™s a pretty life-changing setup in terms of convenience and how much it improves your home network. If you really donā€™t have anything to use, you can always just run it on your main computer if itā€™s one you leave running, or if not the Raspberry Pi 5 is just now launching so you can get a 4B for pretty cheap. They start at only $35.

2 Likes

My personal solutionā€¦

The cam works fine ieven if I canā€™t remotely connect to it, It still records and everything. As Im away from home 4 or 5 days a week I canā€™t exactly unplug it to reset it.

So I bought a couple Amazon plugs that work with Alexa and now when I find it offline I can go into Alexa and turn the plug off then on.

Not exactly the optimal solution but until they fix it it works for me.

And I already had my IPv6 turned off on my router

1 Like

That is the solution I used, only I set a timer on the smart plug to turn off at midnight, and then back on 10 minutes later. That way I do not have to remember.

ā€œMe tooā€ā€¦and my brand new video doorbell v2 is doing the exact same and I have to flip the breaker to power cycle that. My CamPanv3 is less than 1 year old and worked fine on firmware version 4.50.3.4240. It started having the connectivity issue when it was updated to version 4.50.4.4767. I recently bought a new one and it is still on 4.50.3.4240 and Iā€™m not updating it. It is currently working fineā€¦although from reading above maybe flipping it upside down will cause it to have an issueā€¦Iā€™ll give it a whirl for giggles.

Thatā€™s exactly what I planned to do, except with a bit more automation. I ordered a Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 as a small Home Assistant/Octoprint box (Iā€™ve already got like 4 rasperry piā€™s running pihole and other various things and wanted to try something else) and am shifting to that. Basically, Iā€™ll also be adding smart plugs to each Pan V3, but Iā€™ll be setting up Home Assistant to automatically turn the power off and back on any time the camera becomes unavailable for more than 2 minutes.

Had a similar problem once I got a second Waze Cam Pan v3 (WCPv3). After following many different suggestions (new power adapter, cord, verify different MAC and IP) I finally found a workaround that seems to be solving the issue.

Set up a guest network on your wifi router and only put the WCPv3 on that network.
My steps:

1. Power cycle the WCPv3
  2. Delete the camera through app
  3. Setup again under the new guest network

Note: I also bound the IP and MAC address to my WCPv3 but Iā€™m uncertain if this had any effect on the issue.

Had a similar problem once I got a second Waze Cam Pan v3 (WCPv3). I finally found a workaround that seems to be solving the issue.

Set up a guest network on your wifi router and only put the WCPv3 on that network.
My steps:

1. Power cycle the WCPv3

Note: I also bound the IP and MAC address to my WCPv3 but Iā€™m uncertain if this had any effect on the issue.

Had a similar problem once I got a 2nd Waze Cam Pan v3 (WCPv3). After following many different suggestions (new power adapter, cord, verify different MAC and IP) I finally found a workaround that seems to be solving the issue.

My steps:

1. Power cycle the WCPv3

Even if that solves all issues, which Iā€™d need more time to be sure of, Iā€™m not changing my entire network architecture to do Wyzeā€™s job for them.

Mine worked fine the first couple of weeks but just recently itā€™s forever disconnecting from the wifi

If you want to join the fun of getting that fixed, you can submit a log every time you have to power cycle to reconnect and give them the log numbers in this thread:

You should also submit a support ticket with the MAC address of any applicable Pan V3s you have and say itā€™s for the reconnect problem.

1 Like

Just another V3 PanCam issueā€¦ā€¦but the same one.

New V3 Pan Cam with network connectivity issue. Itā€™s roughly 25ā€™ from the router with an exterior wall between itā€¦.

Same issue - looses wifi connection not long after firing up but all function s appear to be workingā€¦.ie paning, tracking, recording. Just canā€™t access the sd card because itā€™s ā€œofflineā€.

Itā€™s powered by a 25ā€™ Wyze power cord, a usb adaptor, and then to the provided 6ā€™ pancam cable with the 90 degree adaptor into the camera.

What a pita issueā€¦ā€¦just kinda hoping Wyze can address this issue. I had a v1 pancam much further away and never had the wifi dropout issueā€¦

I bought one but it stops working after a few hours. reconnecting fixes it for about a day.