Multiple Users' Permissions for Shared Users

I was going to ask my wife to log out of her account and log into mine so she could have full access to our new motion sensor floodlight, but she has also just purchased her own headphones device which is connected to her account.

We are now stuck and even the work around isn’t really an option. This is getting messy guys, lets please come up with a plan for this! I’m putting off buying more devices until I see how this plays out.

2 Likes

A mod or Wyze employee hasn’t commented on this thread since September despite the constant activity. The company clearly doesn’t care about the needs of their customers.

I just want my wife to be able to get notifications on cameras that I don’t want notifications coming in on.

I built her a bird feeder and I have all cameras registered to my account. I don’t want a notification when a bird is at the feeder. She does.

2 Likes

My Sunday newspaper includes an extensive “review” of Wyze’s progress in the market. Jim Rossman is the author Tribune News Service is the distributor. Bing can no doubt find it.

What I find is a lot – A LOT-- of discussion of hardware: Cam OG. OG telephoto, Cam Pan 3, Kits that divide USB power from one wall wart to two Cams. Brackets to stack Cams.

NOTHING in the review suggests that Wyze is making ANY progress in software. Usability. Better features. “Cam Protect will notify YOU … if there is sound or motion.” I can’t imagine a national columnist didn’t consult with the company PR office about the new products and any new features or services. That even Mr Rossman wasn’t told about better “sharing” options tells ME that Wyze doesn’t, and doesn’t plan to, offer any upgrades anytime in the coming year or so.

Wyze’s [exhibited] usecase: One user, one location, one camera, one e-mail account, one subscription.

If a household has TWO camera and more than one user and perhaps a couple of different preferences about how the system might best serve preferences … the household might consider a whole different company than Wyze.

“CarverOfChoice” may be along soon to explain why I’m wrong. Or I will be wrong 3 to six months from now. Or two years from now…

2 Likes

I truly enjoy a good rant

I agree my husband set up the door bell but keeps turning off notifications because he is working all day. So i cant turn them on for me. So the door belll to me has been useless. So when i hooked up the cameras i used my email so he cant turn them off on my phone. We should both be able to control the notifications on each of our devices.

I thought about making a new email account that both my husband abd i use just for our wize stuff. But it will be a pain. They are hooked threw m y reg email on my google nest. google nest and probable have to set up each camera into the new email account. Even if we get the same emai. If he turns notifications off when he is working it will turn off my notifictiaons as well. . So it wont do any good.

@terrywoodring: your husband should be able to turn off all notifications for the Wyze app at the phone level (via the phone’s Settings app, regardless of iphone or android). This way, he can still view any live or recorded video, but just won’t receive any notifications. This approach shouldn’t affect the notifications on your phone.

Give it a try and post back here if it resolves your issue. Hope this helps!

Unlock timer and/or Trash option made available to shared members instead of just admin user

Only Admin can stop door from locking. This traps the rest of us into having to carry our phones to go out and in of the house. This is maddening! Makes’s me want to dismantle the lock and send it back.

Thank you he is traveling back home today but I will try again. His phone has our doorbell to his email and the door lock. When he turns off notifications for the video on the door bell I don’t get notified when a package comes. I’ll look back at my settings and see if there is something I missed. Thank you.

@terrywoodring: to be clear, I’m not talking about notification settings within the app. I’m talking about phone settings that allow the user to turn off all notifications from any app.

You (or he) can turn this setting on or off at will.

Oh thank you. He needs to get email and text messages notifications from his techs. I’ll look and see if each item on the phone can be turned off thank you.

1 Like

You bet!
For most Android phones:

• Long-press the Wyze app
  • Select the “i” icon (app info)
  • Select Notifications
  • Turn notifications off

For iPhones:

• Open Settings
  • Select Notifications
  • Scroll down to the Wyze app and select it
  • Slide “Allow notifications” toggle to off position

Hope this helps…good luck!

Thank you so much. I can’t wait to tell him.

There preference is clearly hardware dev. I’m not sure if that’s due to comfort or that’s just where they make most of their money.

I can’t recommend Wyze while major issues remain unaddressed, which is really too bad because it’s so close to awesome but just out of reach.

I have still purchased the products because I know the quirks/risks but can’t foist it on others.

Sub account rules or main account security features

I want the feature added to be able to restrict my shared camera group to not be able to override any thing/ rules that I put in place. For instance an inside cam I have turn off at 10:30 till 7:30 yet they can log in and turn the camera on during the off hours which I do not want them to be able to do.

I agree with you their “all or nothing“ method of granting permissions sucks

Posting here to show more activity in this thread. Maybe someone at wyze will stop writing code to display a store in the app and start adding basic rbac features to the products that their customers and early-adopters already paid for.

This situation with unsuppressed notifications on shared cams is inane. Realistically it means that a cam can be shared, or it can have alerts, but not both.

If wyze’s development team doesn’t know how to do this (the request has been open and highly voted on since 2019), I can help…try this:

Find the jira for the feature, define specs for behavior, figure out a t-shirt size, get it in a sprint, have the sprint team in India code it, put it in trunk, have qa test it, deploy in beta, a month later promote to production.

Almost all of the people that would do the above cost about USD20/hour each.

2 Likes

Wyze clearly doesn’t care about their prior customers and is asleep at the wheel here. No company representatives even bother commenting on this thread anymore. This is a basic sharing feature that any company should address to let their products be properly utilized.

Since they’ve decided to ignore the issue and I’m out of warranty, I successfully filed a claim with my credit card company’s extended warranty benefit. I’d encourage others to do the same and get your money back. The product doesn’t provide the features that it was purported to given this sharing issue.

1 Like

We do care, the last update was from an AMA and had been posted in here.

We hear your point and will think seriously about this. Here’s why we have the current implementation:With cloud-recorded Event Videos, when you share a camera, the shared user will only be able to see future Events after the share but not anything recorded before that. With sharing microSD card access, shared users now have access to all the footage that exists on the card including files from before the share. There are complications with this and that’s part of why we haven’t changed the settings.

2 Likes