Motion Sensor V2 with Home Monitoring Useless

Mine too was going off exactly every 13 mins. I did what @Mynus64 mentioned (remove and then re-install through the HMS section) and the problem has been resolved for the last couple of days. I may wait another day or two before actually enabling for Moonlight monitoring, just to make absolutely sure it’s working properly.

1 Like

Went through the remove the batteries, delete and re-enroll routine a few months ago, and now the dreaded false motion event every 13 minutes is back again. Always less than 1 min events. Support seemed like they had never heard of the issue before … Clearly Wyze has a problem with these devices based on all the reports, wish they would post the cause and how they plan to fix it permanently.

[Mod Note]: Your topic and replies were merged for consistency in grouping posts in identical topics.

Mine are all over a year old. Many with the original batteries. All are still operational. I had 3 that gave me the same problem, but I fixed it:

This thread has some years on it, but I just found it…

I have 2 motion sensors in the house, kitchen and bathroom. The kitchen has been fine, but the bathroom loves to throw fits… every 13 minutes.

Everything is up to date, batteries are new, etc. I travel for a week+ at a time (work), it’s wonderful to get bogus security warnings from a thousand miles away, every 13 minutes, 24/7.

The sensor is homed in the US midwest; the weather’s been hot and humid all summer; I don’t think that this was happening during the spring, and I’m dern sure it wasn’t an issue last winter.

Time to strip it out of its case and look for corrosion.

side note: What’s this interval from? Mathematically, it makes no sense in programming. Looking for patterns, 13 minutes is probably rounded from math somewhere… so, 13*60 gives 780 seconds. Not a “magic number” itself, or close to one, or anywhere near a power of 2.

There are 86400 seconds in a day. That would be 111ish blocks of 13 minute (780 second) intervals. Ehh, this doesn’t “feel” like a software driven issue.

Is it a hardware watchdog timeout? Are these Zigbee radios? I haven’t seen the best reliability with them.

late add -
“add it from the HMS tab”… Now that’s a convoluted idea! Trying now.

1 Like

And, a hour later… The bathroom remains dark. The net change is 'deleted motion sensor from Wyze app. Added back via the HMS path". Interesting to be sure. Sounds like there’s a data structure that doesn’t get fully initialized except through the HMS path.

• open Wyze app

• delete problem sensor

• at the bottom click “monitoring”

• at the bottom, it asks “already have…”, click “Set up now”
    *** note: you do NOT need "Home Monitoring’ to do this

• in middle of the page, it says “Wyze Sense Device Installation”. Click that.

• screen may say “oops!”. Ignore that. Click at the bottom, “Continue adding sensors”. Click.

• Select “Motion sensor V2”

It should all look like a normal device install from here.

It’s working for me…

annnnnnnd… Hypothesis’ don’t always take part in the conclusion.

No go - it seemed good “for awhile”, but it’s back to the 13 minute cycles.

• it might be tied to the sensor being triggered, then falling into this cycle. I know it was clean for at least an hour. I went out for a while (no triggers while out), then came back, used the bathroom (triggered), and it seems that I’m now back in the 13 minute loop.

That might explain how deleting and re-adding the device makes it look clear?

• the timing of this loop is sooo repeatable. I’m thinking counter overflow, but what’s it counting that’s on a timer that’s this fast? The coder in me is taking the size of an integer variable and working backwards to figure out the clocking interval. Polling loop for sensor activity? POLLING? That’s a problem in itself.

• why doesn’t my kitchen sensor do this? (I should swap them, but they’re not easy to get to)

{finger tapping head}