Motion sensitivity on Low still too high

Hi all. I have set all of my cameras to Low motion sensitivity, yet I’m still getting alerts for ambient light changes such as the clouds temporarily occluding the sun changing the lighting in the area the camera covers. It would be nice if we could see actual movement only.

The product team has stated that they are working on the ability to mask the motion detection area, which would solve or at least improve your issue. I have no knowledge of when this work might be complete.

Masking won’t help at all with the issue OP has with lighting.

Doing pixel based compares is just incredibly error prone. They need to switch to vector processing, but, unsure if they can do that, or if the CPU is fast enough.

I’m having the same issue as well. Ambient light changes from a window in my garage results in many ‘false’ alerts.

1 Like

Ditto for me. Dozens of notifications daily due to shadows changing because of cloud cover fluctuations. Running latest Beta.

Will we be able to adjust the motion sensitive area with existing cameras? Maybe I misread the email about improved motion sensitivity, with the new cameras coming out soon but it sounded like that’s available only with the new cameras implying it’s not available with existing cams. It wasn’t clear. Are the new features only available for new cameras?

I’m having the same problem. I’m not sure if it can be fixed, it may just be something we have to live with. I’ve tried the low setting but when ambient light changes, a lot of pixels change.

Same Issue. Every time a cloud passes in front of the sun I get a notification on low sensitivity. Had to disable push notifications because I am getting an alert every few minutes.

Just want to add that I struggle with the same issue of localized light intensity changes triggering the motion alerts. Also want to backup and support what @ShadowCam stated.

Same issue. So many false alerts due to just light or shadow change. Los sensitivity should be LOW.

With the power of the CPU, we can’t do too much calculation per frame. We will likely stay with pixel comparison for a while.

We understand the comment that there are too many false positive there. We are making improvements in V1.3 app to address some of the issues. The current plan is to introduce trigger zone and allow you to fine tune sensitivity (e.g. 1-100 level).

Thanks!

Am curious, how will the user define the trigger zone? Will there only be a single (rectangular?) zone per camera (one of my cams could make use of at least two zones)? 1-100 sensitivity scale should also be helpful. Estimated release date on V1.3 of the app? Finally, do you guys take bribes? If so, let me know what it’ll cost me for full Landscape mode integration. ;D

The false alerts due to light is annoying. I have mine on the lowest sensitivity setting. Is there any way to filter out the videos after-the-fact even? Not the most efficient route but would get the processing off the camera.

My problem mostly has to do with flying bugs, and this is with the alert sensitivity set to 1. I know the cameras are designed to be used indoors, but there is no denying that a major portion of your users are using them outdoors.

The software could definitely filter out all motions that either moves too fast, or lasts for too short.

My camera is indoors but it is pointed out a window.

Thanks for providing the video. We will see how we can improve our alert accuracy.

I agree that many false alarms could be eliminated if there was some way to specify a minimum duration for an alert event. Your example had one frame with the moving object (that was very close to lense).

1 Like

I read that CPU might not be strong enough for vector based processing. Is that true?
Pixel based processing is error prone. I’ve set my sensitivity to 1 (out of 100) and really limited my motion detection area to 15% of full screen but still get alerts when tree shadows move due to wind. Is there a way to classify/tag such behaviors?
Perhaps, apply some ML/pattern detection to train the model. That way we would have false positives only in the beginning. Once trained, over time we would reduce such issues :slight_smile: (0.02 I am just throwing blind darts)

I see the point about alerts, when clouds pass, car passes with lights on, wind blows, bugs fly you get an alert. So maybe if you could set a minimum rectangle or number of adjacent pixels to be notified. Or maybe change the notification message to include size and velocity, i.e. a small, medium, large movements, fast or slow movements.

Our current algorithm is based on frame comparison to detect motion. It has a higher rate of false positive alert. There are two ways you can tweak your alert.

1. We have ‘motion detection zone’ to let you select a partial area on the screen for detection only.
  2. You can tune motion sensitivity (right now you have level 1-100) to change sensitivity

They are still not perfect yet but two of them combined can filter some false positive alerts.