More V3 Camera Issues

You are incorrect that my gaming router doesn’t use 2.4GHz, it in fact assigns almost everything to 2.4GHz first. But is also something I can change within the settings. I forgot to add that I also my Wyze Air Purifier on it and a Quest 2 VR headset, which I assigned it on 5GHz even though I use it in the same room as my router. And I have a wireless printer to it but it will only connect via 2.4GHz, the printer doesn’t use 5GHz.

This router can connect many devices at once without so much as a glitch, except for my Wyze Camera’s. None of my camera’s are that far away from the router that they would be losing the connections. But when a camera that is in the same room as the router has connection issues too and router OS settings shows it’s connected and nothing else is using the bandwidth, well then it pretty safe to say it’s not a router issue. My router is setup not to prioritize gaming devices over any other device. But, the only devices that are on all the time are my Wyze camera’s. I do have an Xbox but it’s connected via ethernet and not WiFi.

1 Like

No, of course it’s not your router. It never is.

1 Like

No need to be sarcastic and condescending. It’s not always a router issue. I could say you are a fan boy that won’t say anything against their products…but I won’t say that.

I wouldn’t say that either since I am regularly critical of specific cam models that do not perform to published specifications, updates that have bugs, features that do not work as intended, and user interfaces that lack the complexity of settings considered standard within the industry.

There are cam models that I have stated I would not currently buy because of issues or features. And, there are many issues and topics with which I can and will be critical. But not 100% of the time in every single post regardless the topic. I am not here with the sole purpose to trash a brand simply because that is my character. I have worked very hard to get all my IoT devices tuned, stable, and highly reliable… as an integrated security network. And I have succeeded with multiple ecosystems in play. I share that experience with others.

This offline connectivity issue, however, if one is to be objective, has been proven over and over again in countless posts by many highly respected community members to be solved with a router swap to a brand and model that doesn’t keep dropping cams and devices. Many have found that solution from multiple brands and models of routers and posted about it.

This being the case, I will ask again: What changed? My many dozens of devices on the network across a half dozen ecosystems or the network carrying them? I am not married to my router. I have tried many different solutions to my offline device issues over the years. Some were boxed up and returned the day they were installed because they were absolutely incapable. Some lasted only a short time until my network started to show the same issues. I am very satisfied with my current network. Since installing it eight months ago, I haven’t experienced a single offline cam (25 to 30 depending on what I am testing) which are all set on the perimiter of my property, or any other device from other ecosystems which previously did go offline regularly. I have even gone so far as to shut down all power cycling routines and schedules to every cam just to test if the cams might have been experiencing memory leak issues that might have caused the offline drops. That was many months ago and I am still waiting for my first offline cam. I even install and test every Beta Firmware update on every VDB, PanV1, V3, V3Pro, PanV3, OG, and FLP I own. Still no offline cams.

Perhaps my house, built in 1953, posseses special WiFi powers and blocks all intereference or propagates the radio waves. Perhaps there are no other competing signals in my area. Who knows?

The proof is in the performance though, and I didn’t change a single thing on any cam to get there.

2 Likes

It is possible your older home has chicken wire in the exterior walls making your home a Faraday cage. It is great your network works well inside your home and keeping RF interference out.

1 Like

No chicken wire substrate for classic plaster walls. Original rough sheetrock substrate with thin plasterboard veneer and plaster skim coat. Really thick interior walls. But the sheetrock does have embedded wire mesh structural edging. Had to find that out when cutting out a section with a circular saw for a water damage repair. Sparks everywhere. :hushed:

1 Like

You can trust a Maven cuz y’know they won’t be craven
They’re big bright technical stars!  :notes:

1 Like

Resist, ya gotta admit, 90 grouse, 10 praise, yeah?

That 10% affinity is substantial, though, it persists! :wink:

Separately, gonna take issue with this…

Assuming competing companies don’t publicly share their overall connection rate stats, how is The Wyze effecting said benchmark against? :thinking:

Okay I’ll bite…so what router are you using then? And how does the Wyze router compare? Does it live up to their hype? Because it’s hard for me to believe it’s better than my 5 year old Netgear XR500 Nighthawk, which has no issues with any other device in my home other than my Wyze camera’s.

There is a very specific reason I did not previously mention it in any of my posts here. I’m not promoting it. What I am doing is trying to impress upon readers that, just like cars are purpose built for specific applications with thousands of internal hardware and software variables affecting their performance, so are routers. There is no possible way to expect every brand and model of router to act the same way to every possible network device. It is a highly unreasonable expectation.

See, you already had the answer to your question. And I am using the Pro in a three node wireless configuration. For uptime, coverage, connectivity, and stability… It is the best router combo I have ever employed and I come from a background in remote network management for mid-sized installations. It is essentially connect and forget about it. The network is always up and everything stays connected wherever I am in the network. I have close to 70 devices riding the WiFi network at any given point on the two lower bands (don’t own any 6GHz… yet) including three different video streaming devices on a Fiber ISP capped at 200Mbps. The only thing I run on Ethernet is my HMS Hub.

If you are an advanced router user though, it is a very difficult sell. For advanced user interaction, features, configuration management, and customization, one of the most frustrating routers I have experienced. I experienced a lot of separation anxiety when I switched from my TP Link Archer. But, it dropped too many cams too often and I use them for a security perimiter.

The WMR UI has a long way to go. I have previously posted that it is like driving a Formula One Hypercar, with all the power and speed in the world, using side show bumper car controls.

But, I will take speed, stability, and reliability any day of the week over Pro level customization. I don’t need all that in my home network. Reliable connectivity of all my gadgets is more important. Your priorities may very well be completely different for your specific use case and I respect that.

I have thought about the Wyze Pro router before, but I don’t like that it only has two ethernet ports, so I’d have to buy another product to get more ports for devices that I only want connected via ethernet. I also don’t like that each Pro is a full blown router instead of just a satellite which seems like a waste and purchasing several is more expensive than a satellite would be.

Yes. There are others who have posted the same opinion and it is a restriction for those who have a developed Ethernet topology. I don’t have Ethernet in this old house and I’m not up for wiring it so it didn’t factor into my decision. Most have easily solved that by dropping in a GB switch to expand their port capability which is the common practice on enterprise systems.

With the recent proliferation of residential hypergig fiber ISP service, another common complaint is about the restrictions the configuration of the Ethernet ports places on LAN speed. While the WAN port to the ONT is 2GB, the LAN port is only 1GB. Provided the LAN is wired CAT6 or above, there is no real way to exceed 1GB to utilize the full potential of the hypergig service on any single device. I suppose this was intended so that it reserves ample bandwith to serve all LAN and WiFi devices during peak use, but it certainly does impose a hefty speed limit on the Autobahn for those who have the ability to redline the tach.

I have found this to be the reason my network works so well now. Signal strength is maximized in all nodes and since each has its own routing capability working in concert with the other Mesh nodes, it doesn’t need to run decisions thru the root to do a device band swap or handoff the signal to another node. I believe most of the whole home Mesh solutions being heavily marketed today are full router nodes as well. It removes all the limitations AP node extenders and repeaters bring with them to the network and decentralizes all the heavy lifting and network decision making.

I had a Mesh Network prior to this with my TP Link. It had extender nodes. It did not work well. The node signal strength was limited, the connected device load on nodes was limited, and they didn’t have any capability to manage backhaul. Now, while all my Wyze cams are riding 2.4GHz to the nodes, the nodes are backhauling that signal to the root at 5GHz on one and 6GHz on the other. This seriously improved my connectivity since each node is managing its own 2.4GHz connections without needing to get permission from the root or mucking up the 2.4GHz band in the process. It is akin to giving each node a WiFi trunk line to move more packets faster.

I’m not saying the WMR or WMRP is the silver bullet solution for everyone. But I have yet to read any posts of chronic cam drops or intermittent network outages for those using them.

I have an Asus RT-AX86U mesh network. It is not perfect by any means, as I still lose signal from time to time on my Sony TV, iPad, laptops (PC and Mac), etc. But since I upgraded, the one Wyze camera location that kept dropping connection improved. I haven’t had a dropped connection from that corner of the house since.

Also this router has a device-level optimization/binding feature that allows me to refresh connection on any offline device. I’ve brought my Wyze plug back online a couple times without power-cycling it or the router.

1 Like

My house isn’t wired for ethernet, it’s just that I have my router ethernet connected to my TV, Chromecast, Philips smart bulb hub, Xbox and an Ooma. So it’s nice that almost all of them have a dedicate port on my router without having to purchase a port extender. But after doing some searching it looks like more and more Mesh routers only come with two ethernet ports, which means just one is available for another device. Seems odd they do this now or maybe it’s just a way to keep costs down or a money grab to get customers to buy a port extender. I’d rather ethernet devices if they are close to the router, and I won’t run cable all over my house because it’s just not practical due to the layout, so with those devices they have to use WiFi. I will say this, I am interested in the Pro’s ability to locally store camera video via the USB port. But it looks like it’s a USB-A port, not sure why Wyze would use that instead of USB-C. Maybe you have some insight?

Cost is one motivation, but w\ advancements in WiFi speed, Ethernet connected devices are quickly becoming endangered. It’s an evolutionary drive toward wireless.

Most Mesh companies don’t even sell small residential hubs and switches. When you can pick up a 5 port Gigabit Switch on Amazon for $10 - $15, it’s not much of an upsell draw.

I’m not sure what the decision process was for using a USB 2.0 rather than a 3.0 or higher speed\power port. Right now, the port is power only. I do know there are many users eagerly awaiting news on the development of NAS capability on this port since that was interpreted as its original intent. But, don’t look for open NAS access. If it is developed and released, it will most likely be tightly integrated into the app with limited access and only for Wyze Cam video storage.

Just wanted to say, I appreciate the information you have provided. I know often I come off a bit harsh, guess it’s just been my frustration with Wyze products. Back when they released the V2 camera a friend of mine told me about them and I bought a bunch and really liked them. Just haven’t been happy with how quickly they release new products with issues, software and hardware. With all that said they do make some things I do really like.

Again, thank you and I’m sorry for being rude at times.

1 Like

Hey, we ALL feel the Wyze Frustrations :rofl:

I deal with high-end cameras to low-end cameras in my trade along with telecommunications, and Wyze can really make me shake my head at times.

Don’t update until you check the forums, that will save you a lot of time.

Current V3 firmware I will not do, too many issues
The Android App I am holding off updating too

With Wyze if your setup is working you are better off not updating App or Firmware most the time :grin:

2 Likes