Meet Wyze Plug Outdoor - 12/15/20

Yeah 20A would have helped a lot. (Particularly for people who go nuts with holiday lights.). Don’t understand why that would have been a stumbling block to include.

Ah well, doesn’t detract from a decent product.

Would love to see integration with Sense home energy monitor.

I currently use a few TP-Link Kasa smart plugs for energy monitoring on things that don’t have dedicated circuits in my home electric box.

The Kasa plugs broadcast the energy usage to the sense somehow. Not sure if it’s on the local network or via some backend API integration.

https://sense.com/

3 Likes

Here is your solution
Amazon.com: Cable Matters 3-Pack Grounded Power Cube 3 Outlet Adapter in Gray: Electronics

" (For those wondering, this is our last product launch of the year. :wink: ) " I hope so. I’ll take ya’ll a year to get caught up on pre-orders.

Usa1000. Thank you for your good suggestion/help,. but the outlet angle is wrong for our outside boxes( up here in Canada anyway). The device plugged in (new WYZE) has to exit/ hang downwards. Best solution so far is “HOSA PWA486” from Amazon.

1 Like

I use the plugs for all of my Arlo cameras
That are powered from waterproof receptacles that exit DOWN

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JRLSPRW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_RyW2FbENE926B

1 Like

Do any other Wize products offer energy monitoring? This is the most attractive feature of this product for me.

1 Like

How will this integrate with Alexa?
Any plans for a ZigBee version?

:frowning_face: I have been enjoying the new product pre-order Tuesdays.

:+1: Congrats to Wyze on a lot of announcements in a short time though. Looking forward to all I pre-ordered and any announcements for 2021.

Buy the time you pay tax and shipping your close to $15.00

Very Misleading and not even the truth… “Wyze outdoor plug is here??? Really? And it’s ready rain or snow? So it’s in stock ready to ship?
Or wait it’s ready for preorders? So it’s not here and not ready for what ever weather conditions may come it’s way…it’s not even manufactured yet or in this country…

Wow, did not see this coming. Wish I had known because I bought an outdoor plug for my Halloween stuff and now Christmas stuff 2.5 months ago. It was 30% off so I figured it was a good deal but it was not $10-$15!!! I would have stuck it out with my dumb photo cell outlet just one more year had I known about this.

Just a few questions:

Will there be support for local sunrise/sunset times with an offset. i.e. if I want to turn my lights on/off 1 hour before/after sunrise/sunset or exactly at sunrise/sunset? I will have to wait for this feature as I am still waiting for it to be added to the indoor plugs.

For an outdoor item, an IP64 rating, is one of the lowest but does protect against water spray from all directions. I would still not put this in the open elements unless it was IP66 or higher. Might still be beneficial to protect it under a porch cover out of the rain/snow/sun if you want it to last long without hardware issues.

“Is WiFi required?
Yes, Wyze Plug Outdoor requires WiFi for setup and all features except the light sensor which (once configured using WiFi) can automatically turn Wyze Plug Outdoor on/off based on ambient light.”

This does not mention if internet is also needed for control. The one think I do not like about the Wyze plugs I currently use is that when internet is out, which it goes out a lot where I am located, I can no longer control the switch. It would be nice if this new plug would allow local control over WiFi for when the internet goes out.

1 Like

ATM, all Wyze products require Internet so the servers can control them on schedule, which is not on-board for cost reduction purposes.

Did Wyze provide any details on the energy monitoring? How often, resolution, max/min values, accessible for downloading?

1 Like

FEATURE REQUEST: Put a “watchdog” feature on the plug, so that if it looses internet service for more than 3 minutes it can reboot plug #1 - the plug where I want to put my internet modem. This could be just a simply enable/disable switch in the UI.

3 Likes

Can you set for a fixed IP address? I’ve written my own python based home automation running on a Rpi but I can’t depend that DHCP will always find a device. I’m playing with SonOff and Susie products to see if I can integrate those into my system.

Will these integrate with any sort of home automation system (Crestron, Control4, etc)? I have noticed that IFTTT is no longer being mentioned as a feature on new products which is a shame as that was the universal adapter so to speak - or maybe I am missing something? Alternatively, an open API we can make POSTS against from such systems?

Besides it’s own system that has automation rules…mostly Google and Alexa.

Yep, IFTTT started charging if you want any reasonable use from it, and people started canceling them in droves, including me. Now they not only charge the companies to get their products added to IFTTT, but they are also charging the users now too. People are switching to use solutions like Alexa automation, and Home Assistant, etc. instead. I doubt I’ll ever use IFTTT again, just on principle. I am not against them charging more for their new features, but they took away all my old access, and held me hostage saying if I wanted to keep using what I previously had for free I had to pay for it now, even though they were already charging the companies for that access, so now in a way I was paying for it twice. That’s just pure greed. I’ll use any other company now, even if they’re not quite as good.
These might still work with IFTTT though. Other Wyze devices have worked with IFTTT (at least before I canceled my IFTTT account they did). So who knows, maybe a Wyze employee or beta-tester or someone will chime in, or, when they finally ship, someone with IFTTT can check.

They’re working on this. See the AMA video starting at 1:06:24 and continuing for roughly the next 3 minutes.

So sometime in the next year we should have API for some of the devices at least. I’m hoping for the band/watch, cameras, sensors, etc. Would be awesome to integrate them into home assistant, or Samsung smart things or many other options.

1 Like

I agree, in northern Minnesota we need -20F minimum, I want to us the plug to turn on my engine heater without going out to the detached garage.

1 Like