Meet Wyze Plug Outdoor - 12/15/20

The venture capitalist funding Plan B: can’t get acquired, gouge the user base instead.

1 Like

You should be able to do that with your router.

1 Like

I’ll have to look to see if I can reserve IP addresses, something I hadn’t really thought of. Thanks.

On my Netgear it is under ADVANCED Tab > Setup > LAN Setup > Address Reservation > +Add. The reserved address is not assigned until the next time the device contacts the router’s DHCP server, so you have to cycle power to the device when you are done adding the reservation.

It seems the best move in the mean time is to use Home Assistant as a bridge and make API calls to Home Assistant to then make calls to Google.

One thing I’d like to point out - overload protection and surge protection are not the same thing. I see no indication in the specs that this product offers surge protection. Maybe someone from the Wyze team can clarify if there’s a question about this.

1 Like

I believe all they’re saying is that it has a breaker or some sort of thermal protection should you exceed the rated current. I see no indication of surge protection.

1 Like

Probably a PTC device, its a self resetting fuse. It gets hot due to over current, like a circuit breaker, and then “opens” or becomes a high impedance path preventing current from flowing. When it cools down, due to no current flowing, the chemical composition returns back to a low impedance state and allows the current to flow again. For surge protection, a MOV or MOV/zener combination would need to be used and given the size constraints they were working with, it simply may not have been able to fit into the circuit board area. The devices are not small, and there are the design rules for creepage and clearance they have to adhere to in order to pass the safety requirements. Its always a trade-off in design on what needs to be included and what would be nice and still retain the industrial design of the product. I’ve lived that life before.

1 Like

Is a hub required for this?

Hello @cshahmir and welcome to the community

No hub is needed to use the Wyze Plug Outdoor, it connects to your router via WiFi

1 Like

For outdoor use a right angle plug would be much better to fit into exterior, in use outlet covers

Alexa found my Wyze Outdoor Plugs on her own even before I completed set up.

Well, with the help of your preinstalled Wyze skill anyway.

1 Like

Could I get away with using this on a 50Hz power supply providing I step down the voltage to 120V?