MaxDrive by Wyze (Cancelled)

I don’t know why u are waiting ? – you can backup to Goggle Drive right now ( up to 15gb free)

Yes I can. And actually I have more space than that. But I plan on using that for phone backup. And for backup of phone photos and videos. Not my security videos. That’s why I want this. Dedicated memory for a dedicated purpose. Google drive isn’t my backup. It’s a backup for other things though. This drive is what I want. To be able to save years of video footage for that just in case moment. Instead of days. That’s why.

3 Likes

I can get 32gb sd cards from Walmart for 9 bucks…

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sandisk-Sdsqunc-032g-an6ma-Sandisk-Ultra-Microsdhc-Memory-Card-32gb/46700579

How is finding some other non name brand ones meaning they are fake or not on sale?

1 Like

Seems like WyzeDrive (or WyzeDryve) would be a better name than MaxDrive anyway. No conflict, and ties into your existing branding.

1 Like

Will the MaxDrive be compatible with Linux? I’m interested not only for Wyze footage backup but also just regular NAS file storage. Thanks!

What Will Be The Price Point???

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from MaxDrive by Wyze:

Can not wait for the MaxDrive … and retire my aging WD 2TB My Cloud NAS. Of course, I still have a death grip on my elderly iPhone 5c and an older Netgear router … so I’ll be interested in seeing if my luck still holds. So far WYZE products work like a charm.

I know, I know, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade … but hey if my set-up still works, why fix it?

I signed up for hardware beta testing months ago … but since I don’t do facebook, probably have to wait until product is released. Is facebook still a requirement for hardware testing?

I’m probably dreaming but a slot for a Kensington lock would be nice. I have one for my Synology NAS as it just looks too inviting should the worst happen. I have it attached to a medium strength metal shelf leg through to an opening on my 6’ desk.

1 Like

Anybody have a good article about setting up an RTSP for Wyze Cams?

HDRock. In my case, one of my Wyze Cam’s was stolen during an attempted break-in of my house. There was no video clip of the guy’s face, up close and personal. That would have given me more confidence in identifying him. All I have are video clips of his whole body from my other Cams. I firmly believe that Real Time recording is essential for these Cams. Thank you for your continued pursuit of Real Time recording.

2 Likes

Why supports only one drive? It should support at least 2 so that we can do raid for redundancy

1 Like

RAID would be nice, but it would be a completely different product and not likely able to be done at the price point they are contemplating.

They already support personal files. It’s not really a different product. RAID is a must have for NAS. I’d rather pay higher for this.

1 Like

Considering that the maxdrive has only a single drive slot and that adding another drive slot may not even be possible within the current form factor, I would say that, yes, accommodating RAID would be a different product design.

2 Likes

Will there be any kind of API for the Max, like a REST interface perhaps? One requirement for any NAS on my system is the ability to monitor it somehow…

Is it up? Is it Healthy? How much storage is used/available? Maybe events like the last write or the last IP to access it.

Simple things like that. REST, SNMP, some kind of monitoring interface.

I think that’s kind of a requirement once you start calling this a NAS. If the answer is yes, or planned - then I’ll definitely buy one; otherwise I’d be more likely to build one myself with open source software for the same price point or even slightly higher.

Don’t get me wrong; I WANT to buy this and the pricing is great IMHO. But some way to keep an eye on things - BEYOND USING THE APP - is super important to me. It gives me a method to get that data into my smart home system which ultimately runs everything else.

Thanks for your continued dedication to your customers!

1 Like

The MaxDrive doesn’t have a lock slot in the current design. Since the top just twists off to reveal the drive inside, adding a slot that also prevents accessing the drive would probably be a pretty major redesign.

Since the MaxDrive probably won’t have any locking features based on the other replies, I’d suggest getting a plastic lockbox with holes and securing that instead. Alternatively, something I’ve considered with my own NAS is to relocate it to an obscure location (such as inside a cold air return, inside a false ceiling, or behind a shelf) to keep it away from would-be thieves. Just make sure you can get a stable network connection to your target location (I’m thinking of running ethernet inside my cold air return anyways, so I would relocate my NAS as part of that project).

2 Likes

I don’t think I have seen it. But I know I really like it for my NAS.

Will the MaxDrive have drive encryption?