Mailbox Sensor (Motion sensor)

Hello Community;

I just wanted to share one cool application I did using one of my Wyze motion sensors I mounted in my mailbox, drilled and fixed at the back of the mailbox.
I’ve seen other posts using contacts for mailbox and I tried but the range of the sensors is not so good when it is outside and even worst when installed on a metal box, so this is my solution.
The idea was to get notifications when the mail arrives and probably monitor the mailbox for burglaries, so far I am using only to monitor my mail arrival, it works pretty well, I also created a routine in Alexa and plays in my Kitchen Dot, also at arrival by using location.

See pictures attached and the Alexa routine screen captures, I hope you guys like it.

Cheers.

Javier

19 Likes

Nice work @drweld! I never thought of using a motion sensor like that on a mailbox. Tried with contacts on my in-laws but ran into to much signal loss. Will definitely try yours next time I’m there!

5 Likes

That is so cool! Nice workaround and set-up. I like your customized Alexa message as well. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice! Way to think “outside the box”! :grinning: :+1:

6 Likes

I did similar and placed one in the bottom of a wall mounted mailbox. Hooked it up to Alexa for an announcement and IFTTT for a text to my phone. Works great.

3 Likes

Nice job!

Considering that I live in a ‘kid active’ neighborhood , I’m wondering if placing the sensor on the bottom of the mailbox might preclude any vandalism…

We just had a mail thief hit our street a day ago spurring me to try again with getting the motion sensor to work inside our metal mailbox. What worked for me was placing the motion sensor inside the mailbox, near the front instead of the rear. And, crucially, using a 3 foot USB extension cable to create some distance between the bridge and the camera, presumably lessening the RF interference between the two. For everyone else trying to make it work, keep experimenting and good luck.

1 Like

I like Big_monkey’s idea to place the motion sensor in the bottom of the mailbox. If the motion signal is not reliable a small plastic mirror placed up inside against the back top corner at a 45 ° angle. the mirror would be glued or caulked in place with a custom-fitted piece of Styrofoam, @drweld system is certainly simpler than installing a modified contact sensor (with an external reed switch).
A very good approach.

1 Like

I’ve done that with a contact sensor on a metal mail box.

Alexa says … You’ve Got Mail.

2 Likes

Very good idea. I recommend picking up some Velcro at hardware store. Easier to work with until you figure out where you permanently want to mount the sensor.

@MJE, do I understand you correctly? You used a short M/F USB cable to dismount and extend the distance between the V2 camera and the sensor bridge with the cable? Excellent/Clever idea. thanks for that.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I did. It clearly helped but the motion sensor still loses signal sometimes. I’m still planning on upgrading to version two once it’s available but for now it’s good enough.

1 Like

Me too. I have a variety of Sense V2 stuff on order.

Does having the motion sensor exposed to rain cause any problems? I would probably do this same thing but try to find a small, clear plastic cover to put over it with silicone caulking around its perimeter, just to keep it dry. Good idea though.

1 Like

I’ve used Scotch Removable Mounting Putty on all my outside sensors for years.
It make them completely water proof…kept one underwater in a cup for weeks with no issues.
Great thing about it is it’s reusable and does not leave any residue when removed.

Removed the factory two way tape because you can use this putty as a adhesive to mount the sensor. I also used clear Scotch tape over the LED and other small holes on the sensor before putty proofing the sensor.

I’ll post up some pictures if you like.
It maybe ugly but it works for me … LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brand-860-Removable-Multicolor/dp/B000AN7EW4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3M7DIX5FZG54L&dchild=1&keywords=scotch+putty&qid=1618929783&sprefix=scoth+putty%2Caps%2C383&sr=8-3

4 Likes

The black cover is sealed with blue silicone

1 Like

How far is the mailbox away from the camera bridge ?

About 30’

1 Like

Mine is also about 30 feet away. It’s working well and should be rock solid once I migrate to the new hub later this week.

1 Like

I’ve done something similar, I put a Wyze Cam Outdoors in my mailbox, so I can see whether or not mail is in there, in addition to notifying me when it sees motion!

1 Like