Internet Down, Cannot Turn Cams Off or On

Internet Down, Cannot Turn Cams Off or On. WIFI is OK, Just Internet Connection is Down. Will Wyze make an update to remedy this so we can just use WIFI only to turn cams Off or On?

3 Likes

I would not expect it. The cameras are totally dependent on the Wyze servers for pretty much all functionality.

6 Likes

I have stated this before :

Wyze needs a dedicated hub that everything connects to, then the hub connects to the Internet.

When the Internet/router/ISP have issues, the cameras, locks, etc. will still function.

Hubitat uses this and it is a strong selling point. Everything in my smart home will work even if the coax from the pole is cut.

I see no valid reason for a command to be handled by a third party.
Go into a room, the motion sensor reports to the hub, the hub issues a command to turn the light on.

This is the #1 reason I switched from SmartThings to Hubitat. Quite often my smart home stopped being smart. Too many times my wasted time was due to server issues. They even sent emails when their servers were down.

3 Likes

So if I buy a Hubitat and can turn my wyze cams on and off without using their servers or No internet connection?

So if I buy a Hubitat and can turn my wyze cams on and off without using their servers or No internet connection? Then I could just use my live stream or read the SD card?

No Wyze products show on their list of compatible devices. Along with everything else that I have except for a lock and a thermostat which both have manual controls anyway.

1 Like

The short answer is no. All functions on the cameras (and all other Wyze products) are configured, stored and controlled from the Wyze servers. Without internet, very few Wyze products have any sort of local control. The plugs have a manual switch you can use to turn them on and off, but most all other actions require the servers and the app.

2 Likes

You could use Zigbee or Z-Wave smart plugs with Hubitat connected to your Wyze cameras and turn them on and off locally with no internet connection. The two systems are not compatible. I was explaining how I can turn my lights on and off locally with no internet because Hubitat does not require servers for local control. Now, if I am away from home and there is no Internet nothing can be accessed.

1 Like

True, but implementing Hubitat just for that might be too much effort. I suspect that just manually turning off the plug would be simpler.

1 Like

True, but starting a smart home is like getting a goldfish. Then you need a bigger bowl, then change to other fish, needing a bigger tank, then nice things to go in the tank, etc. and it keeps going.

1 Like

The cameras still record to SD if they are on without internet. If they wouldn’t do at least that, they’d be in the trash. My last dlink cameras didn’t need the internet. They had a web interface as well as a local mode on the app.

2 Likes

I agree strongly. Wyze has never acknowledged that on a real security system all devices have local control and local storage and the internet is used for remote control and cloud storage.

1 Like

You just have to keep in mind that as a $25 product, WE are likely the product in some way.

1 Like