How to make Wyze Cam v4 connect to Wi-Fi 6?

No it doesn’t. Maybe you’re referring to WiFi6E (6ghz). At any rate, WiFi6 isn’t a band. It applies to both 2.4ghs and 5ghz, just like WiFi5 applies to both.

If Wyze is committing fraud by claiming something false, you’d see lawsuits flying left and right.

Yes, thanks. Your explanation is better at clarifying what WiFi 6 actually is.

Seeing the responses here, I feel like I’m not alone.

The entire notion of “Let the buyer beware” as an excuse for deceptive marketing is just rotten. “Go look it up before you feel deceived” and similar messages from those who would make excuses for marketing.

This is not my first experience with Wyze cameras nor is it my first day with computers. I am also very familiar with marketing mumbo jumbo meant to gently mislead while walking the fine line of outright untruth.

In the 90s, for example, I saw lots of marketing around printers and “600 dpi equivalent”, as just one example. You see it in TVs as well. I’ve seen ads for “a genuine Blue Nose medallion from the Royal Canadian Mint”. They sell it for 20 bucks plus shipping and they send you a dime. Yes, the Canadian dime shows the Blue Nose schooner. “People just assumed” goes the excuse. So I’m not going to entertain for one nanosecond this argument that I should somehow become an expert in wifi technologies so as to fact-check the Wyze boxes. The onus is on Wyze to be clear in their packaging and marketing.

Now I know full well in an R & D setting that perhaps it’s convenient to use the same microcontroller chips that support wifi without exploring some that might support the 5 GHz bands. I know they have it for the doorbell. So it’s a money thing would be my guess.

I have real world problems with an inability to consistently reach my Wyze cameras through a couple of walls, even within 20 feet of my router. Oh, it shows a strong signal while setting up the device, then comes actually trying to use it. Maybe 1 time out of 5, I get the video in a reasonable time. Other times, I can wait and wait and wait.

So, when a camera comes out promising improvements to their wifi, I’m interested. Oh, wifi 6. Well, they were unclear. They said “no 5 GHz” but did not specify “2.4 GHz only” which would have been more accurate and I would not have made any assumption by missing the 6E and not 6 business.

So I’m not unaware. But I feel misled.

In practice, I’ve tried cam v2 and a v3 and now a v4 in the same corner with the same “works sometimes” performance. I’m really not sure whether the purchase of the 4 was even worth it.

So YEAH I am complaining about the Wifi 6 claim and this entire thread seems to be saying similar things.

Wyze marketing people might have made an innocent mistake, hoping that consumers would just “get it” or “inform themselves” or they might have done it on purpose so as to sell through their new cameras with the thought “they’ll end up liking it and keeping it”.

If Wyze is actually sincere, I’d like to see a change to their marketing that make 2.4 GHz only very clear. It’s a simple change that doesn’t require re-engineering the camera.

Otherwise, my confidence and faith in their marketing will have taken quite a hit.

I do know that I HAD their router pros and they were a dismal disappointment to me. I would have expected their own router to work better with their own devices, but that can easily be me with unreasonable expectations.

At the end of the day, I have a real problem with deceptive marketing and hearing people make excuses like “you should have known better” does not help. Wyze is the vendor and the onus ought to be on the vendor to be clear about their claims.

But, like in the bad-old-days … and I remember it in the 1970s most clearly “Caveat Emptor”

Let the buyer beware.

That’s my takeaway here.

And YES, I feel very deceived, with good reason.

1 Like

The tech specification sheet states it is 2.4Ghz. The FCC report mentioned that it is capable of using 802.11ax modulation mode at 20mhz. If it is working properly, your WiFi 6 capable router should sync at ~144 Mbps tranmission rate ideally with minimal interference.

For me, the bigger worry is software quality. The bugs are getting worse. If you do your homework, you’d find the deception if any. But the WiFi6 isn’t one. It’s a network standard that Wyze has no control over.

1 Like

Like other cameras out there (e.g. Reolink). They ought to just list the specific band they use and drop the marketing blitz of WiFi 6 or any other one.

“Wi-Fi 6 Connection Support” they say. Bunch of hooey.

Now that you mentioned it, I wonder if they can advertise it like that if it can output 802.11be transmission rates. This reminds me of ASUS recently announcing an router WiFi 7 RT-BE88U, but it doesn’t have the 6Ghz frequency band lol.

Harking back…

There’s nothing new under the sun… nor will there be. :wink:

1 Like

I’d heard this word years ago and couldn’t recall it. Somehow today, I did. :slight_smile:

It really depends if the cam firmware itself is detecting wifi 6 and doing something itself. I don’t know what they’re doing in the firmware there but this wouldn’t be misleading if its so.

But, if they do nothing and the cam just works the same as wifi anything, and its the wifi 6 router etc is the only thing doing anything then its rather misleading.

WiFi6 comm should be handled by the chipset in use at the hardware level and should be transparent to the software/firmware.

The marketing is that the device will connect “above” 2.4ghz. If the device is purchased with the expectation that it will not be limited to the that band or NOT connect to any of the other bands than I agree willem71 did not get what he was expecting.

Cam 4 Specs

WiFi 6 will not connect “above” its rated speed, 2.4Ghz in this case. Think of WiFi 6 as radio noise mitigation feature and not about speed.

Standard or mesh? I have a specific loT network, separate ssid and pw. My battery cam pros are assigned by the mesh to 5 ghz. I see this in the cam details in the router. Unless the router gives you the ability to specifically create 2.4, 5 and 6 networks separately, you are at the mercy of the router and device to what network gets assigned.

For the V4, it will only connect at 2.4Ghz. It doesn’t have the radios for the 5 and 6Ghz even if your LAN is capable.

2 Likes

My BCP’s are no longer connecting to 5ghz in my mesh network. They show connection to 2.4ghz network. When I did a reinstall the network connection would only assign 2.4ghz. Last update to the BCP’s must have eliminated that capability for 5ghz.

You clearly don’t understand WiFi definitions, wyze is correctly marketing them [Mod Edit]. I do IT for a living and am not related to wyze in anyway. The cam v4’s are really nice, my Eero’s mesh system clearly shows them on the 2.4 band using WiFi 6

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

• Bluetooth® 5.2
  • Wi-Fi: 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi,

Wi-Fi 6

It mentions 2.4 or WiFi 6, so you should be able to connect to the WiFi 6 band. I have Reolink cameras that are 300% connected to the WiFi 6 band. I bought these Wyze v4 cameras thinking I could connect to the WiFi 6 band, but I could not. This is 100% false advertising, and I don’t appreciate it. It’s rude for them to do this to people. You should be able to connect to the WiFi 6 band, but nope! I have 42 years of experience in computer tech, A+ certified in CCNA MCP. Wyze is a scam! All 15 cameras are going back, and they will pay for shipping both ways. “WYZE” feeble-minded morons.

SEE WIFI 6 BAND!!!

2.4 band using WiFi 6
[/quote] I have 30 reolink cameras that all utilize the 6ghz BAND!! and connected to that BAND ONLY I can check on my router it shows connected to 6ghz band only and the reolink ptz cameras run super fast compared to 2.4 or 5ghz bands

Wi-Fi 6, or IEEE 802.11ax, is an IEEE standard from the Wi-Fi Alliance, for wireless networks (WLANs). **It operates in the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, with an extended version, Wi-Fi 6E, that adds the> 6 GHz band

** . It is an upgrade from Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac), with improvements for better performance in crowded places.

LOL it states on Wyze that it connects to 6ghz wifi 6 band this is a band all older items that connects to 2.4 bands can only connect to that band so Wyze cameras only connects to 2.4 bands only they are saying it can connect to the 6ghz band on there listing for the v4 camera it can connect to both band 2.4 or 6ghz bands this camera can not connect to the 6ghz band that is false advertisement

SEE WIFI 6 BAND!!!

wifi 6ghz is a band I have Reolink cameras that are connected to the 6ghz band wifi 7 is a band as well

I have 7 devices that connect to my 6ghz band

WIFI 6 BAND

SEE WIFI 6 BAND!!!