Foggy image - possible hardware solution

I had to disassemble my way to camera about a year ago and the little glass lens was all fogged up after I cleaned it it has remain clean so hopefully it’s a one time experience

Quickly skimming through this thread once again I cannot find any sort of acknowledgement from Wyze whatsoever on this.
Is that correct?
If so, that is kind of pathetic IMO.

It IS indeed quite pathetic. They recognize this issue but they don’t want to acknowledge it lest they have to replace all the units under warranty still. Let alone the one’s which are out of warranty. This sounds like a class action lawsuit if the cost of a unit was not this low.

Personally I think buyers don’t bother with it anyway precisely because of the low cost and that’s what the Wyze owners are counting on.

This is a design fault if there was such a thing ever. But unlike the great user friendly and common man persona they want to portray of themselves they are after all concerned with their bottom-line.

I wonder if someone has called in the warranty on this issue and what was Wyze support’s response?

It just rubs me the wrong way though.

1 Like

I suspect it’s a business decision They are a small company (I think) and because the Margins from a $20 or $30 dollar camera are so low, they can’t afford the cost of replacing every v2 and Cam Pan out there. I mean, technically they could offer to repair the camera for $40.

Disassembling, fixing and then reassembling is more work than assembling on an assembly line. If my camera had the problem and was still in warranty, I would contact them for a replacement especially if it was towards the end of my warranty.

-jfe-

True but they should still acknowledge it!

That’s the whole deal. Acknowledging is admission of fault. Their lawyers have told them don’t admit it in public unless you are dragged into a court of law. So, there! I have said it :wink:

Okay, I probably should have gone the warranty route, but it’s a $20 imported POC…

I disassembled it. Had to watch three videos and the above photos to understand what was what. Luckily I have bought some battery and phone kits in the past couple years with the necessary tiny-thin screwdriver.

I removed the piece of glass completely and sealed it back up.

Nope. Very left edge of image is crystal clear, center is worse, and right edge is blurry.

Best guess is there’s something on the lens itself, which I didn’t look at carefully before reassembly. Taking it apart will only take like 4 mins the next time I try to look at this, but what a crap design and assembly line if not only do they have a piece of glass with foam insert that causes fogging, but they apparently are messing up the lens itself. I might have to power it up disassembled so that I can see what’s what. if it’s just adjusting lens focus by minute turns, that I can try – but hard to not bump it during reassembly. if it’s something on the back of the lens, that I can attempt to clean. Any other ideas, please post!

if it’s manufacturing defects, they should be able to defray the cost back on Xiaomi if that’s who is producing them in the first place. And if the ENTIRE LINEUP has problems, can’t imagine the scale of issues in asia with the original models at the volume they likely sell there.

Here’s a quick tip from the Monkey… When you next disassemble your camera, pop out the black ring from the case (easily snaps back in when you’re done). Doing this will allow you to focus your lens after reassembly. After focusing the lens, don’t forget to push the rubber gasket back on the lens otherwise you will not seal the lens to the body. Just pay attention and you’ll have no problems

2 Likes

picture or two or short 30s video would be helpful. I don’t want to mess up the lens, any more than it already is. I did a second disassembly, and tried to use a glasses-cleaning microfiber cloth on the back of the lens housing, in case that’s where the fogging is (if it isn’t misfocus, I swear this was all clear the first week I had it).

At the moment I touch the lens… I’d actually like to go with a little LESS wide of a lens, as I have a very narrow area I want to capture and view.

you can buy them online at Amazon for a fair price… I have a 130˚ lens and a telephoto one in two V2 cameras that function well

just some food for thought… you wand the M12 .5mm size

1 Like

Does anyone know if the new v3 cameras will exhibit this issue over time? If they have the same thin piece of glass and rubber gasket, I would think the same issue will occur.

That’s the obsolescence factor right there. LOL

Just did 2 of my v2 and also my Wyze Cam Pan, all of which had the same problem.
Just do a YouTube search to disassemble the two cams. I cleaned the little glass with a microfiber cloth, using my fingers to pick it up and gently rub the residue off. Really appreciate all the support from this forum.

2 Likes

Before and after

5 Likes

I threw away the glass disk 5 months ago and have not noticed any negative reprecussions. I should really do it to the rest of my V2’s but have been lazy.

1 Like

It’s difficult to explain why Wyze never acknowledged or in any way addressed this issue… Perhaps they thought it would ‘go away’ [Mod Edit].

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

2 Likes

On the cameras that you did toss out the disks, every function still works, IR, detection etc… I wonder if by tossing the lens out if the camera sensor is or will be compromised??

I’ve had a couple without the glass for over a year now since this thread first started and I haven’t had any issues. One of them is outside too!

Not sure why they won’t acknowledge it, but I would bet that they’re afraid if they did, it would leave them open to replacing hundreds of thousands of cameras once word got out.

I would imagine that 10’s of thousands of people that bought cameras and haven’t seen this thread or even this forum at all, just assume the video image they are getting is a $20 camera image and don’t know what they’re missing with a clean or removed glass disk.
Imagine if all the owners out there saw the before and after examples in this thread? That would be a nightmare for Wyze.

I doubt if the sensor is compromised. The disk is not part of the lens. It was a prefectly flat piece of glass that seemed to serve no optical purpose unless it was a UV or Polarizing filter of some sort. It might have been some sort of seal to prevent dust but even if that were the case, taking something like that away should not damage the sensor.

For reference here is my Before and after from July 20, 2020 and a screenshot of the same camera taken today

1 Like