Extending WiFi reach to v3 camera

Physically, she hates wires and she hates gizmos

Are you trying to get me devorced???!:smile:

Exactly my point, simple. It’s only one camera and I think I have an extender in mind that will work with my router. All I want to know if I should give it a same SSID or not and why?

Again. Simple.

It is one cam. Why would you need an entirely separate WiFi network for one cam?

If it is a range extender made by the maker of your router, chances are it is just going to tag into the existing network anyway by default. Mine did.

If you go with a new second SSID network, and move cams down the road or swap them out, you will have to reinstall them if you want them to be in the other network. With a single network, you have the flexibility of moving things wherever you need without network login issues.

Simple.

This is the answer I’ve been looking for. I’m getting the same brand extender as my router and assign the same SSID as my router. According to your experiences, no issues. That’s exactly what I’m going to do and see what happens. If it’s not working I won’t come afteryou my friend :smile:

1 Like

Bookmark it? We can bookmark a great reply? I pasted it offworld into a Word Doc so I can find it in my Wyze_Stuff folder.

1 Like

@habib, What brand router do you have? I have an extender I have not used in years. You can have it for the shipping cost. But don’t make me climb into my attic, unless it matches yours. Cost will be probably $16, what ever is med rate box. nuthin’ for the trouble.

Yep, under each post. You may have to click the 3 dots to expose the bookmark icon.

5 Likes

Boooooook-Mark. Ahhhhhh. BOOKMARK.

1 Like

My gateway is Netgear and has been playing really nice with me so far. The extender I’m thinking to get is NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi 4 Range Extender (EX2700-100PAS). Judging by the reviews it is a solid and plays nice with my Netgear router. It’s under $40 Canadian, so please don’t go in the attic and hurt yourself. I’m going to BestBuy in the morning to pick it up.

2 Likes

Was up there early today anyway. Got it down. You are welcome to it. Cost you only the shipping. Did you say Canada? Happy to be of help.

Mdl WN2000RPT
Looks like its a N300 too. Manual for it is available online.
:grinning:

Some other ideas to keep in mind for people wanting to extend their WiFi Reach without buying a mesh router. You can always:

1. Use a cantenna on one of the router antennas if it has one (People have made their own directional antennas with something as simple as pringles cans, then aim it at the device you need to reach and it the signal goes farther…others have modified an old/unused satellite dish and had that antenna use signals as far away as 5 miles)
  2. Modify the V3 antenna with a better external antenna (not Wyze recommended since it will void the warranty); here is a walkthrough of some guy doing it to his V3:
3 Likes

To my primitive understanding the signal radiates perpendicular to the antennas, so shoving one of the existing router aerials into a can wouldn’t be a great way to aim/focus?

However, many models have removable antennas which opens up lot of design.

I’m sorry brother but I have no idea what you talking about :slight_smile:

Yes, it has to be a removable antenna…so you would unscrew one of them and then have a separate connector that goes to the cantenna, like so:

I used one over a decade ago while I was going to college…I lived off-campus at the time, but my student login gave me free WiFi access to the School’s comparatively really fast Internet, but my computer Network card wouldn’t reach far enough, so I bought a card with an external antenna port, and connected a cantenna and pointed it at the school and could then use the School’s free super fast WiFi (slow by today’s standards of course) as well as things that were only accessible through the network (library and research stuff, among other things…and I didn’t want to have to always go to campus to do all that if I could do it from home). So I can confirm that they really do work because I have done it myself. Also tried sharing WiFi with friends in a similar way from my router.

But yes, you have to connect the whole thing directly to the antenna port, and the cable then inserts into the metal can, which then directs where the signal goes, not shove an existing antenna into the can. :slight_smile:

As I said, I heard it works even better if you modify a satellite dish to act as a cantenna.

The above functions best if your router has multiple antenna ports and you’re only using one for the cantenna while there are several others to continue serving the rest of the device with the normal antennas it came with.

For example, I imagine these multi-antenna beasts would not notice much of a performance difference if one of their antennas was replaced with a cantenna:

image image

5 Likes

Might also be worth mentioning that a slightly more permanent/accessible approach is using the post controls (chain link icon) to copy a link to the post and then bookmark that link in your browser as a regular bookmark.

2 Likes

Can you move the router closer to your garage ? If not, does your router have an external detachable antenna. If so, you can get an external 10db antenna.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SEQGT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Those are single band antaenne. Not compatible with dual band routers are they?

there are dual band external antenna also. Wyze only uses the 2.4Ghz band so it should work, depending on your router. An alternative is to switch to a V2 camera and plug in an usb antenna in the USB port. Got this setup on my garage V2 camera.
Netis Wireless N 300Mbps Long-Range USB Adapter with Two 5dBi Antennas and USB 2.0 Cradle (WF-2116), 300 Mbps High Gain

[

## Netis Wireless N 300Mbps Long-Range USB Adapter with Two 5dBi Antennas a…

The Netis WF2116 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter is designed to connect a desktop or notebook computer to a wirel…

](Amazon.com)

1 Like

THAT is clever. Would never have thought to plug a USB booster antenna into that camera’s USB port.

And yet again, this is one of the things I enjoy most about this forum. The creative bump we get from so many different people.

Thank you. I may never need it. But great to see this kind of brain power at work. Again, thank you.

2 Likes