Drop in image quality Wyze V3

No, you’re mistaken. It’s a common misconception. Video stays on your LAN. No live video runs through Wyze servers, ever, with the edge case exception of some Alexa streams. (Even when you are using your phone miles from home, NO video goes through Wyze servers at all.) Below is the post where I last explained it in detail, complete with confirmation and clarification from a Wyze developer.

1 Like

Both cameras are side by side on the window sill pushed up against the window. The white bar on the side of the top picture is the window frame. The V3 is near the right edge of the window and lens warps and bends the image there.

I’m still disappointed in the quality of the V3 as my impression was that it should be much better than the V2 or at least not worse.

2 Likes

They are the same native resolution. That’s why I was never interested in the V3 until people started posting about the starlight sensor results.

Well you learn something new everyday. I wonder why they can’t get streaming to Google Hub devices working correctly, Arlo works flawlessly. I pulled my fiber offline and the V2 and Pan work pretty good, the V3s a little less so.

If you read the article posted by the other user in this thread the compression rates for the V3 are different than the other cameras. Hopefully future firmware can improve quality, it’s a work in progress.

Sorry I’m late to the party, but I have been experiencing the same issue for several weeks, with as of now, 3 different v3 cams. Your videos refused to play for me for whatever reason, but here is mine for what it’s worth:

Note the flicker only in the bottom half, most notably at the very bottom left. I’ve done a lot of back-and-forth emailing and trouble ticketing with Wyze, including showing them this video, but to no avail - They’ve been responsive, but every camera has the issue. I’m grateful to see all the info on the compression and bandwidth in this thread at least. And I guess there is some comfort in the fact that apparently it’s not a sign of imminent failure of the cam.

It’s frustrating, because I really like the v3 otherwise.

Ok, I was able to manually download your videos and play them… yep, exactly the same issue as mine :slight_smile: :frowning:

I’ve set up 3 V3s now and unless they all suffer the same defects it’s a software issue. My V2s handled the same are a bit better so hopefully future updates will correct some of the stream.

It seems so, although the fact they sent me another camera when I opened a ticket, rather than saying “oh, we know about that, and it will be addressed in a future firmware update” makes me wonder.

Hmm, then please let us know if the replacement V3 acts differently. I would have expected compression ratio / codec would be exactly the sort of thing that could be fixed via firmware, not a different chip.

It didn’t act any differently - it was my 3rd v3, and they have all behaved the same.

I don’t know if Wyze has admitted to anything being an issue with the V3s. I got mine at different times spaced out so at least one was from a different lot than the others. All of mine performed the same. If I use it inside I don’t get the static but if I use them outside, which I do, I get the flicker. It has nothing to do with distance from router or anything on mine, it’s the cameras inability to adjust for the big picture outside. If the wind blows a bit or to many animals are moving the Wyze V3s just can’t handle it and get buggy. I used an Arlo Essentials in an experiment in the same locations and it doesn’t exhibit these issues, the Arlo is also a 1080p resolution and the cheapest Arlo makes, still $100 more than Wyze.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve also had the issue while testing the cam just 2’ from the router indoors, viewing through a window, pointed at a static parking lot surface outdoors. Meanwhile, my cam viewing my front yard doesn’t seem to have the issue (unless you look reeallly closely), but I think the scene there has less “texture” for the cam to process.

1 Like

I have the EXACT same issue (flicker at bottom) on 2 of the v3 cameras I received in Feb/Mar. The v3 I received a few months ago does not have this flicker problem. They are all running the same firmware and have the same settings. I hope I’m wrong but I’m starting to suspect a bad batch…

Your flicker-free v3 cam can display the exact same scenes as the flickering v3’s without any flicker? Mine are scene dependent as to whether they flicker.

He or she has the aforesaid ground “texture” as well as indoor window sills to contend with.

The flicker wasn’t there when the cameras were first installed. It appeared after about 3 weeks in one and 5 in the other after installation and doesn’t appear to be related to any firmware update. I’m not in a position to swap them around at the moment. However given that the distortion appears in the same location on each of mine (i. e. where the watermarks are) and also in the samples above from others AND stays with the watermarks even when I flip the image 180 deg (i.e. the flicker doesn’t travel with the image), it seems to me that this is not dependent on the image being captured. Turning on and off the watermark/time stamp has no effect either…

Prior experience tells me it could be a flawed CCD. I hope I’m wrong…

When I get a chance I’ll try pointing them at a blank wall to see what happens… (hard for me to do as they are remote, so if anyone else can try in the meantime,.)

I have 2 Wyze V3 and one does the flicker and one doesn’t. The camera on my driveway has no flicker or extremely minimal, the camera watching the woods and a food plot has lots of issues with flicker and distortion. If I swap the cameras they have the same issue. My driveway is static with very little movement in frame unless someone walks or drives in or a squirrel runs by. The forest camera is all trees and animals moving everywhere. These cameras just can’t keep up with everything all the time.

I also use Arlo cameras and if you want real clarity and a great shot get one of their 2k or 4k models. Just be prepared to pay $150-300 per camera and a lot more expensive subscription plan. My Arlo 4k can zoom in like crazy and catch license plates or faces from a ways off. I could have bought 8 or 10 Wyze V3 for the cost.

1 Like

I thought it was just me. I have the same side by side compare in a window mount and found the V3 to be slower to resolve images, especially when leaves are moving - they are blurry compared to the V2. I wanted the V3 for its superior night sensor, but cannot afford this drop in image quality due to high compression or whatever causes it. I am going to decommission my V3 until its resolved or something better comes along