Deviced that can blur out people on my camera

Im not tech savy but are theor any electronic devices that can blur out someone trespassing on my property?We caught a gal but whem looking at wyzes cams she was blurred out and Pixelated so bad you couldnt make it out… wondering if shes been on our property many times before but we couldnt see her on Camera.

1 Like

It could be possible if they have a wifi jammer on them that is causing your wifi speed to degrade and the camera auto-switches to low quality mode to compensate.

1 Like

Just witnessed this today myself. I am hoping it’s not a new “feature”. It only blurs objects if it identifies them as a person. The rest of the shot is clear. Sort of works against the purpose of the device entirely I’m my opinion. Long time user and wyze supporter here, but aren’t these cameras supposed to be for security? If say I have someone coming in my yard all the time and damaging my property how are we supposed to prove to the police who the person is if their face is blurred out? Seems to just be on the wyze v3 cam right now for me. My original doorbell cam doesnt blur people out.

1 Like

Wait…is this real? Are these cameras now deliberately blurring faces when it identifies something as a person?

Could be a glitch I guess.

Can you provide a photo or video sample? What type of lighting conditions are you seeing this in? Time of day? How fast was the person moving? Adding more context to this will help determine what occured. Thanks in advance!

@GuitarMan , can’t determine the cause yet with the lack of info but could be the movement of the person with the camera frame rate, time of day, area lighting, etc at play. We’ll have to wait for @whoopr4 to provide more info and visual aids to see what occured here.

1 Like

I have one V3 and 4 WCO, V3 is on cam plus and the 4 WCO on CP Lite and they don’t blur any people out, raccoons either :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the quick reply! Good to know it’s not on purpose!

I have attached a video of myself walking. The blur seems to follow me somehow.

1644378141.mp4 (4.66 MB)

looks to be standard motion compression artifacts. the non-moving parts of the image don’t need to update as frequently, so they appear clearer than the moving object. if you stood still, the blur would disappear.

3 Likes

I agree, You can also see it at the neighbors driveway when the driver takes their foot off the brakes. For a split second that area is blurry then gets clear again. Also the lighting outside looks to be starting to get dark and the camera is only recording at 20 fps is proboly playing a part in this as well

1 Like

That’s odd, I’ve never see that happen before. I watched a video 30 minutes before that one of a car driving past and it was clear.

Was it more light out instead of approaching dusk? how was the rest of the picture compared to the one posted above?

Yes there was more light out. Guess dusk is what does it.

I dont think its a canera glitch. I have an indoor security camera and i have many many videos of people walking through the blur its extremely crazy. I believe its paranormal and i based my belief on screenshots of the blur at several pause milliseconds and theres all kinds of distorted disturbing faces in the blur while paused. I will try and upload some videos and photos. I feel like my camera is only blurry when whatever it is, is present any other time its clear as day. And the blur only happens to people at random times and areas of the room

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @jobetheverett2! :raising_hand_man:

Blurry, pixelated, distorted video image can be caused by a wide variety of explainable technical issues: poor WiFi transmission from the cam, slow internet speed, slow device processing power, low light compensation, bandwith fluctuations, excessive movement within the FOV, etc.

Since you are in Android, there is one setting that may help you if your viewing device has enough video processing power to help. In the App Settings Menu, toggle ON the Enable Hardware Decoder setting. This will shift the Video Processing responsibility from the software in the App to the Graphic Processing chip on your device. It lets your local device decode the stream which can be much faster than what the app can accomplish if you have a powerful device. It’s worth a shot.

But, if you have weak WiFi, there isn’t much you can do to improve video clarity aside from lowering the video quality setting. The same can be said for Event Videos if you have slow upload and download speeds from your ISP.

I am experiencing it as well. We have car thieves trying remote unlocking of cars in our neighborhood. I’ve caught them on camera.
Then they started knocking off my WiFi and the cameras went out. The one too high for them to reach with their device they gave me the finger.

Anyway came across another blur out, when 3 feet from the camera. Only happens with a certain group of people. Videos taken minutes before and after are fine.

A combination of flip zero and the wristwatch jammer will do it.
They’re sophisticated enough to try remote car unlocking they can jam the WiFi.

Use an SD card, unaffected by poor wifi signal (which is what will cause lower resolution/frame rate and blurring). Unfortunately Wyze uses exceptionally high compression, around 99% in my calculations, which will cause severe motion blur in a lot of cases. Poor wifi signal will make this worse. I found it especially bad with the Cam v3 which was returned and replaced with OGs that have much higher quality (but still unfortunately the 99% compression).

It is possible for them to shine infrared or laser into the camera to interfere with it but it would just blur the entire thing, it wouldn’t be that specific, so this is likely motion blur due to compression and low quality setting (which it fails back to when signal is bad).

Yes, I have sd cards in my pans and v3. The outdoor cams can’t handle sd cards and 24/7 recording.
They are using an app on a phone or that wristwatch thing that attacks WiFi networks. I have a another brand cam too, it caught the wristwatch jammer.
But I’d be interested in the phone app. Possibly to find the frequency and outpower with a stronger broadcast on the same mghz.
If I had home assistant/kit I could setup an event trigger.

Meanwhile the servers are down in my area today, c’est la vie.

My OGs and Panv3s with Samsung Endurance cards do fine outside, even in sub zero temps, recording continuously. On 2 occasions in about 8 months now the camera has reported an error, but a reboot gets it back running, I suspect it is the camera rather than the card having the issue since it works fine after that.

That’s actually something I’d like to see in the Wyze app, a proactive notification and/or auto reboot of the camera when there is an SD card error. As it is now you have to go in and view the camera before it tells you.

Here is another possible explanation.
These certain group of people were probably had bad spirit(s) “cling” to their body.
Because of this, the energy of the bad spirits interfering with the camera caused the blur.