Data Usage Per Camera/recommendations for mesh system

Two questions:

1. Is there any way in the wyze app to track data usage per camera?
    My ISP’s software in Mississippi had a feature that showed how much data each device used.
    In Virginia my son manages our home network and he is saying the cameras are sucking up the data but he can’t easily pull out the individual cameras. Right now I’ve about 8 or 10 cameras running.
  2. My son just bought a TP-Link Deco. Apparently it DOES NOT have the capability to monitor individual devices.
    Now he is saying buy a $300 Asus setup.
    In the past (?3 yrs?) I remember there were problems with Asus. I don’t want to repeat that.
    Any recommendations please for a mesh system?

Deco app 3.7.83

Home → More → Monthly Report → Month (drop-down, current and two prior)

Scroll down to Consumption of traffic

Not ideal, can’t drill down, but gives you a rough idea of total U/D traffic per device. It only gives a single number, which I assume is U/D combined.

May differ somewhat by Deco model in use.

2 Likes

I have that app version but I don’t see monthly report. Am I missing something?

I’ve got four colored tiles:

Deco Lab - Monthly Report
Guest Network - Block List

M9 Plus, latest firmware
~4 years old

Check:

Home → Messages (envelope icon top right corner)

I get notifications at the end of each month that link to the Report - another way to access:

Jul 1 - Usage Report - Your June report is ready

2 Likes

Thanks @peepeep ,

I used to see reports on a previous version of the app but never paid attention. I don’t see any reports on the new app with your same version number. I have the X68 mesh. It’s just Wifi-6. Maybe I need to upgrade to Wifi-6e.

2 Likes

Odd. My model is earlier tech than yours. May be time to check the TP-link forum or their reddit.

The forum was pretty good a few years ago. Can’t speak to the reddit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too. I get a notice of the monthly report.
Me too. I don’t bother to read it.

But there’s a feature in TP-Link that I have never seen in another mesh.
I can select a specific device and assign it to the node of my choice.
Too many, most allow theirs to connect using some unknown method of determination. And too many overload one node and leave the other (closer) near empty. I particularly had this problem with eero and gave up on them.
TP-Link Deco allows me via the app to select/move the device to the node of my choice. Makes a difference. Stay there too.
And I have a ASUS ET $400+ dollar system sitting in its box, because it doesn’t allow me to assign device to node.

3 Likes

That’s good information, and I appreciate your sharing this. I don’t use this, but my brother-in-law recently picked it up (a 3-pack, I think) and mentioned wanting some help setting it up. I doubt that he’s aware of this feature, so it’ll be a good talking point to bring up sometime.

2 Likes

Greenbeard, this is a good thread with some specific recs, eg

I might read it from bottom-to-top (latest-to-earliest) but to each his own. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is a nice feature. I set it for stationary devices. I didn’t realize that is a unique feature. Good to know.

1 Like

If you’re watching live view or SD card recordings, the 1080P cameras take between 1 and 2 megabits per second each (10 megabytes per minute or so). For uploading events it is minimal, unless you’re constantly uploading events all the time.

With today’s internet speeds, unlikely that your cameras are having any impact. I guess if you were using something that runs the live view constantly to all cameras at the same time, it might add up to a good portion of your cable upload speed (but not a concern with fiber which has much faster uploads, and I’m guessing you aren’t doing that anyway).

If the concern is about a data cap with your ISP, very unlikely the cameras are to blame, unless your ISP has an unreasonably low cap.

Apparently even the new Wyze app can’t track per device usage.

Concerning the mesh, we checked out the TP-Link reddit and it was stated on there that they specifically DID NOT have an individual device tracking capability.

Anyway he went and bought an Asus RT-AX86U Pro. And now I’m trying to determine the least effort to get all my cams on it.
Supposedly just making the SSID and password the same as the old ones is the key - correct?

Correct.

2 Likes

With the Asus routers, also good to go into the advanced wireless settings and disable any “universal beamforming” (explicit/ac/ax beamforming is fine). If you have any issues with your devices reconnecting, go and change it to WPA2 only mode, at least on the 2.4ghz band. WPA3 is good if you have device that support it, but the WPA3/WPA2 mixed mode can cause issues with some devices.

Other than that if your SSID and password are the same, your devices should reconnect. After setting those values, reboot the router and the devices should all come back online automatically.

That is a nice router, he may want to play around with Guest Network Pro and you can isolate your cameras onto their own SSID and subnet which is totally isolated, and I believe you can set some firewall rules to allow them to talk only to your phone, set upload/download bandwidth restrictions (and monitor the bandwidth separately) etc. Of course if/when you do that, you’ll need to change the cams over to that new SSID.

1 Like

THANKS!
I was looking at beamforming but can skip it.

It is only the the “universal” legacy beamforming you don’t want, it often does more harm than good. The newer forms (Explicit, AC, AX, etc) are fine to leave enabled but very few devices actually support them anyway.

Just disable universal on both 2.4 and 5ghz (from what I recall it is enabled by default), you can leave the rest alone.

1 Like

On Greenbeard’s carousel :carousel_horse: there’s only one brass ring. :wink:

That’s ok, he’s a weirdly lovable curmudgeon. oldman

Big Art by @Crease
(by commission)

1 Like

I still contend that the use of “Art” in this instance is overly generous.

:frog: made the request. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You’ll grow into it. :slight_smile:

I have the XE75/AXE5400 3-Unit mesh. I setup the unique IoT 2.4ghz network for cams and smart plugs primarily. Renamed devices from the mac to identifiable device name. The mesh is suppose to assign devices to the node/unit with best signal for the specific device. For whatever reason, it likes assigning to the main unit, about 80% of my 60+ devices. I have used the node assignment feature to do some redistribution. Easy feature to use because you turn off auto assign. I assign based on location relationship to a node. There is a wifi signal strength for each device for the assigned node. Never had an issue and usually 3 bars for all devices and no overload with the 80% assigned to the main unit. System is rated for up to 200 devices.

Highly recommend it for a triband 6e mesh.

2 Likes