Customizable notifications (Incl: Android Notification Channels)

I’ve got an android phone and I can choose a different notification sound for Wyze than my standard notification sound. It’s not located in the app, but it’s configurable in the notification shade.

I do wish there were more channels, though. So I can set up different tones for different cameras, but for now I just use a workaround in Macrodroid.

Samsung One UI does not permit this. Im an android developer. Im glad that your phone lets you. However its not difficult for Wyze to accomodate all of this within their app. Its very lazy of Wyze to leave these custom notifications out from their app.

You can set a different notification sound for Wyze than the rest of the phone. I have a Samsung S21 Ultra, it is running Androind 12 and Samsung One UI. My Wyze notifications are a different sound than all other notifications on my phone. What I cannot do is to set it so one camera does sound ‘a’ and one camera dos sound ‘b’. You can however make all Wyze sounds different than the other apps so that you know it is Wyze.

1 Like

iPhone also doesn’t have this. As Enigma mentioned, this should be a very easy change for Wyze developer.

1 Like

Please state the path to navigate to change the custom sound notifications for Samsung phones. I would like to see if I have any functionality and similarities that you might have and I somehow missed this. I have a Galaxy S10+ Tmobile in-hand, fully up to date. Running Android 11 with One UI v 3.1.

Wyze Devs relying on the phone manufacturers and ever-changing OS designs, for custom app notifications is extremely lazy and not best-practice. All Wyze has to do is lookup the mobile notifications APIs and allow the user to cutomize the notifications within the specific app itself. Ive been a Dev for over a decade, specializing in mobile devices. Sure, some phones will support mobile app notification customizations…but not all will. Ive spent quite a bit of time looking for this setting on this particular phone that I used most of the time…and Ive yet to find a setting for it, that includes other people in various forums and all over Reddit complaining about this issue with the Wyze app and lack of notification customizations. Id love to be wrong though…and I’ll never rule out that I could be making a mistake. Nice to know that the Galaxy S21 supports this to some degree…but as far as I can see on my Galaxy S10 and my friends’ Samsung from last year, its a no-go.

For me to change it on mine, and I am running a Galaxy S21 Ultra Android 12 One UI 4.0, I do the following

Pull Down Notifications
Settings Gear in upper right
Apps
Wyze
Notifications
Notification Categories

You can then click on the categories and some will have a listing for Sound and you can change it there. This isn’t the ideal way and sometimes breaks when you do an app update.

There used to be a way with a third party app I could change sounds for each camera but that broke for me a phone or two ago and so I havent been able to do that again

1 Like

Thank you for your time, Jason. I will test this and report back.

For the Doorbells (regular and Pro) having different sounds for pushing the doorbell and motion detection is needed. Also – customizable vibrations would be helpful. If I’m working, I need to be able to put the phone into silent mode, but I still want to know if a porch pirate approaches. A longer, special vibration notification would be excellent. I’m using iOS. Thank you!

3 Likes

Android Notification Channels

I recently received my pre-ordered Video Doorbell Pro and got it set up quickly and easily. Overall it’s a great device and one of the best smart doorbells I’ve owned in many aspects. However, I have one major issue with it compared to others (e.g. the Ring doorbell).

In the Android app, notifications for motion and rings (someone pressing the doorbell button) use the same notification channel. This makes it easy to miss when someone actual rings the doorbell (by pressing the button) because it’s the same ringtone and priority as motion events. I’d like these to be two separate notification channels so I can set a different ringtone for a ring and a motion event. Additionally, it is impossible to set different priorities for motion and rings. Specifically, I would like rings to override the Do Not Disturb setting so it rings even if Do Not Disturb mode is on (i.e. at night when it’s automatically enabled).

I tried an app called FilterBox. It works ‘okay’ but does not override DND. Getting ready to try an app called BuzzKill.

I was thinking a nice feature would be if wyze had a separate notification area for person detection and vehicle, ect. So a user could personalize a special notification sound to that specific notification on their phone. To instally know what is detected when phone screen is off.

[Mod Note]: Your post was moved to this #wishlist topic for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar posts (custom notifications via Android notification channels). Forum Feedback is restricted to questions or suggestions about the operation of the forum.

2 Likes

I’d like to see two different categories of Wyze notifications from the Android app: notifications and alerts. Sometimes, there are so many notifications that it’s hard to see the things I consider alerts. Yes, I’m interested in knowing when the back door opened and closed (notification), but I really want to know when it’s been left open for five minutes (alert). Similarly, I might be curious about the garage door opening (notification), but I don’t want to miss being told it was left open for an hour (alert).

Yes, I can disable certain notifications, but there are times that I do want to see them–I just don’t care about the thirty lighting changes that triggered my back yard camera overnight. :slight_smile:

Change push notification for “someone calling” to alert like a phone call

Would be great to have the “someone is calling at your door” alert to come through as a phone call instead of a regular push alert (with a tiny icon!) so it’s easy to know when sometime rings the bell when you are not home to hear the chime.

2 Likes

Mine (android) does that already, but I can’t remember how I enabled that setting.
When the doorbell is pressed, I get a call from Wyze, when I answer it, it opens the live feed to the camera.

Please let me know the steps you took to make this happen.

1 Like

I also don’t care about a few hundred Package notifications. Apparently, the AI is not smart enough to know that it has already told me about that package, so it notifies me a few times every minute until I get the package (which I can’t do if I’m not home, so I get hundreds of Package notifications).

My Wyze Camera App shows 3 different notification categories. What is the purpose of each? Would like to see this documented somewhere.

1 Like

this has been in discussion since 2018

3 Likes

From my experience, WyzeMessage is the channel used for all the device Event Notifications (Motion, Smart AI, Automation, sensors, etc,)

General is used for News & Updates from Account → Notifications → News & Updates

Notification Manager is used by the app when you enable the persistant notification when selecting “Running in the Background” from Account → App Settings

1 Like