Configurable custom alert sound detection (Examples: CO/Smoke/Gas)

Enable configuring the trigger sound for smoke/CO/gas alert by uploading sound samplesand/or choosing from standard alarm sounds.

This is needed because many home alarms don’t trigger alert recording on WyzeCams.

(MOD EDIT: changed title to better fit wishlist request)

That isn’t how these things work, and there would be no RAM space available for such a thing.

There is a ISO IEC standard for the pattern, and if other devices don’t stick to the standard, it makes it exceedingly difficult to detect these things. *edit, I mean, if they did do any processing on the incoming waveform, but they don’t, which is why I said it isn’t how these things work.

1 Like

And how would that standard sound like? Guys at Wyze couldn’t find a sample when I asked them. I need a sound sample for both alert triggers so I can test and compare.

They can’t find a sample since there isn’t one.

These things seem to just monitor db levels. This is also why these can be set off if a big truck is backing up. Or if a little kid is with a whistle blowing it hard, it went off. Not very reliable.

Before, I meant that if it did do some processing (which it don’t seem like it does), that it would have to follow the standard specs. Sorry I didn’t clarify that.

You can’t be more wrong! The cameras don’t monitor dB level. Check your facts, before saying things that are not true. The standard sounds are T3 and T4. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a sample, except trying with every alarm sound found on YouTube…

Regarding dB level, I guess you got me wrong. The cameras have 2 distinct sound triggers: sound and alarm. The first triggers when every sound is captured, while the second monitors specific smoke and CO alarm. Check the app settings!

As I said, a simple kids whistle was enough to set off a “fire” alert, as did the delivery truck, though, now you got me curious, perhaps some minimal processing is going on, but there is no way these do waveform matching

If anything it would be db levels and perhaps period as well.

Hi, @serban! I’m the person from Twitter and I was able to get files for this for you today. Still can’t find them on YouTube (which I think is weird). Here’s a file with the samples I pilfered from the devs. :slight_smile:

We’re working on making this more reliable so if you’re having false alerts, @ShadowCam, please let us know!

1 Like

Garbage truck sets it off… like this one.

I wonder how these T3/T4 are standard sounds, because all smoke alarms on the market just beep continuously multiple times, without that break… I even heard multiple smoke alarms in American movies and none of them beep like T3/T4, but continuously multiple long beeps…

Apparently it was due to the National Fire Protection Association to make sure that there was a standard sound that indicated a whole building evacuation was necessary. It looks like it was first published around 1999 in the NFPA 72, National Fire Alarm Code. So there are some variations but this is the standard version that is more likely to be found in multiple homes/buildings.

1 Like

Well, none of the smoke alarms I found have this T3 pattern. And I have searched multiple brands from different European countries… I don’t think this is a US only standard…

Can someone from Wyze give us some insight into how this smoke alarm sensor works? Is it just a db sensor as Shadow suggests? Or something more complex? Surely it’s listening for a specific pattern that could be plotted on a spectrogram?

Getting Wyze to ‘learn’ the sound of your different alarms is a great idea IMO.
So you’d activate the alarm that you want Wyze to learn, then press a button to record that particular alarm sound within the app.
You’d then upload it to the device, so when it hears that specific sound wave pattern it can alert you. A beep of a reversing truck may have exactly the same spectrogram pattern as my UPS alarm… which is unlikely, and unlucky, but if it is, I’d more than happily get a notification of that rather than nothing at all.

It’s already listening for the pattern of a smoke alarm (supposedly), so this is just telling the device to listen out for a few other (pre-recorded) beeping patterns too…?

1 Like

What i had in mind was adding a way to have the camera learn then listen for some custom tone/sound like the notification sound my clothes washer makes when it finishes.
This way the wyze app can notify the user when the clothes are done washing.

2 Likes

Not just rely on some other sensor, just use your own sensor. But not sold as an Alarm, just a Sensor.

Tried 4 different EU model fire alarms, wyze doesn’t pick up any of them.

They are the top recommend in EU, so should be standard.

My Minut Point picks up the all the alarms in seconds.

Something is wrong with the way wyze does it, just saying

Audio Detection of Smoke and fire and CO alarms doesn’t trigger when Google Nest Protect alarm rings and audio alarm detection is on. This appears to be a bug in both my Wyze Cam v2 and my Wyze Cam Pan.

Please consider adding audio support/recognition to the Wyze cameras for the very popular Google Nest Protect smoke and CO alarms.

Thank you!

Does it use the recognized national alert sound at the proper wavelength? If it doesn’t then that is why it isn’t detected.

They probably need to treat it like person detection and create a learning AI.

I have moved your topic to this #wishlist. You can vote for it at the top-left. :slight_smile:

Search Wishlist (enter your search word/s after #wishlist in the search box)
Search Roadmap (enter your search word/s after #roadmap in the search box)

Please read through How to Use the Wishlist and How to Read the Roadmap.

1 Like

First Alert ZCOMBO 2-in-1 Smoke Detector & Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Z-Wave Combo Amazon.com

This one works

Allow the ability to set custom alerts and notifications. This includes the ability to have a separate alert/tone for motion vs sound. It also includes the ability to have a custom alert for the smoke/CO2 function - the ability to have a louder and more prominent alert for this would be great.