Charging my Ourdoor Cam with an external Anker battery works great!

Silicone around the plug and over the mSD slot.
Put a drupe in the cable so water will run from the bottom of the loop rather than forward the camera.

Yup. You know, if Wyze actually wanted to sell some WCO’s they would just update the software to support constant recording to SD/base station AND start selling a $10 ‘hardwire kit’ with an extra long cable, wall adapter, and a little insulation plug for where the cable connects to the camera. Then suddenly these cameras become a wonderful product at a decent price.

1 Like

My plan if someone figures out an IP67-worthy way of connecting a microUSB cable to the Outdoor Cam was to run that charging cable to an outlet inside the house. That cable is plugged into the USB charger, plugged into a Wyze plug.

The Wyze Plug would be off except when I get a Wyze Outdoor Cam low voltage warning (every several months, I figure - my Outdoor cam is down to 68% after 2 months). I will have that low voltage notification trigger in IFTTT turn on the Wyze Plug for 6hours to fully charge the Wyze Outdoor Cam. After 6 hours the Wyze Plug turns off, then the Outdoor Cam operates on battery (as designed).

I happen to have some electrical outlets that I could leave the Outdoor Cam-charging Wyze Plug permanently plugged in, they are behind some furniture (don’t get used anyway!!) and by the outside wall where my Outdoor Cam is plugged in.

I thought I’d share that idea

3 Likes

Play dough ? Electrical puddy ?

1 Like

75dq883b83h51

2 Likes

I like your idea. I, too, have an out of the way outlet and could do the same.

See Wyze we getting this together. Take our ideas and make it happen.

1 Like

That should work on a solar panel charging set up as well.

I agree with the solar panel, add in the wyze cam mount mount and slap the WCO in a small bird house, seal it in and you are good to go. This is what I plan on doing with mine when the rest of the WCOs comes in.

If you’re going to do all of that why not just use a V2?

2 Likes

I did not want to run a very long usb cable routed to an outlet, . Atleast with solar it can be mounted near the WCO.

1 Like

Solar can power a USB battery that can power the V2 for days.

About a year ago I tried this and I found that my 20,000 mAh Anker power bank kept my camera running on WiFi AND recording to a microSD card for over two days.

Hey @themdg, may I ask what setting(s) do you have on the outdoor cam where you get person notifications? Set my camera up two days ago and so far I am disappointed. Charged it to 100% and within 8 hours its down to 0% and I haven’t gotten notifications at all. I see people walking by all the time but nothing. Thanks!

On the person notifications… I’m not seeing the option anywhere at the moment. I know last week was when the Person Detection was supposed to change to a premium feature, which I did sign up for. I do see it available for my other cams. I’ll play around with it, and see if it’s still detecting people. If not, I assume it will again in the near future.

On the battery…there are lots of posts you could search for about that for better ideas than mine. Not sure why it would die so fast. You could try playing with your notification area and sensitivity. Also maybe see if your IR NightMode lights are on?

A bit confusing :slight_smile:.
Do you see Person Detection (Pilot) under Account > Services in the app?
That’s where you turn on PD for each camera.

I do see that…just not my outdoor cam in that list.

Sorry for the confusion. I have two Wyze indoor cameras. No batteries… no issues.

The outdoor camera is giving me a problem with the low battery and no person detection notifications.

Detection sensitivity options are set mid-way, it is just that I am not getting any motion notifications from the outdoor cam and I see people walking by.

Thanks. I turned the IR NightMode light off… learned that from having two indoor cameras.

Person Detection doesn’t work with the Outdoor camera, only the V2 and Pan cameras.

1 Like