Can you record only locally and not to the cloud?

I would have to do a little test to be sure, but I’m pretty sure you will still get event only SD card recording even if motion detection is turned off in the Event Recording area of the app.

"
If you are concerned about cloud clips, are you also concerned that you can access the live feed and SD card from anywhere in the world?"

And just how is that possible? Are you referring to the app on the phone?

My concern is sitting in my own home and having it inadvertently record me or my family and uploading it to the cloud. At least with the SD card it is in my possession to do what I need to with it.

Surely. If you log on from anywhere in the world, you can access your live feed and SD card. There is no difference between that and the cloud clips. Both need your ID.

Depends on who’s being hacked I guess. I understand software, the cloud and security, so just asking the question, no need to be snipping. :slight_smile:

Not snipping, just confused on your priorities. No difference in my mind.

I think I do understand your concern… if your account credentials are hacked, then the bad guy has access to your cloud videos and your card videos. But if the server where the cloud videos are stored gets hacked, then that could potentially expose those videos even though your SD card videos are still secure. Is that basically what you’re saying?

The cloud videos are end-to-end encrypted, so even if the server gets hacked and a bad guy gets hold of the files, they should not be able to decrypt and view them. I think that’s why we aren’t as concerned about that scenario.

3 Likes

Guess I’m a bit more leery of what “the bad guys” can do. No one thought Experian would get hacked either.
The more I know, the more I can protect myself.
Thanks for the input.

1 Like

Just to close the loop on this… I did the test. With Event Recording turned OFF (both Detects Motion and Detects Sound), you do in fact still get recording to the SD card in Event Only mode. You do not get any notifications of those recordings though.

Maybe I misunderstood this topic but it does not work for me. I turned off the event recording and nothing gets recorded locally. Did I miss anything?

just curious, what are people recording that makes them so concerned about security? Mine are set up to monitor the front door, driveway, etc, and I couldn’t care less if anyone saw the recorded video,

Hi Fabs, welcome to the forum!!!

If you have turned off “event recording” in the main device settings page for the camera in question, you will need to click on “advanced settings”, then “local storage” - you will then need to toggle on “local recording to micro sd card”, and choose either “recording events only” or “continuous recording”.

This is assuming you have an sd card in the camera, and that it is either a Wyze card - or an endurance model… other types of cards can create some issues. (personally i use a 128 Samsung endurance card and have not had any issues so far"

As a side note, events recording locally to the sd card will create 1 min clips as opposed to 12 sec, and there will be no cool down period between events.

Hope this helps :upside_down_face:

Hi Podgedog,
I also am not concerned, however my day to day may be boring compared to others…and if they are that concerned, I probably don’t want to know what they are recording :crazy_face:

Joking aside, these are intended for indoor use, so I would assume many are focused inside of peoples homes - where they are not only showing video of their families, but also audio of their private conversations and the like.

@podgedog I don’t normally care but this camera is in my daughter’s room - call it paranoia, but I don’t like the idea of the recordings being in the cloud and as @steve4335 mentioned, conversations as well.

@steve4335 I did exactly that but am I not able to see the recordings in the events tab? Because when I click it, it shows no events. Do I need to upload the videos from the sdcard into a computer to see them? Thanks for your help!

I’m sorry, I misunderstood your question. The playback for the sd card is accessed through the live stream page… once you click on the camera you want to access for live stream there will be a button at the bottom of the page that says “view playback” - this allows you to view events recorded locally to the sd card.

Side note, the app needs to connect to the live stream before you can access the sd card playback - meaning you will have to wait for it to do the 3 step connection.

@steve4335 I apologise I should’ve made it clear where I was trying to look for the recordings - now it makes sense. Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Seems as though this is already answered, but just for future reference, here’s a summary of the recording options:

There are three kinds of recording available in the app:

1. Cloud motion/sound event: These are enabled in the camera settings (gear icon) > Event Recording. Also make sure that the Detection Zone under Detection Settings is not missing the area of motion. These are played back in the Events tab.
  2. microSD card recording: This is enabled in Advanced Settings > Local Storage and can be set to continuous or event only recording. This is played back by pressing the View Playback button on the live stream. This is completely independent from #1.
  3. Record button on live stream or playback: This saves to your phone’s camera roll or gallery, in real time, whatever is being played in the live stream or view playback. Note that it isn’t available when playing cloud events. It is viewed by tapping More and then the Album button, or by leaving the Wyze app and viewing the Wyze album in your phone’s photos or gallery app. This type of recording ceases when you leave the Wyze app.

More info on setting these up can be found in the Support Site.

1 Like

Exactly… and sorry, but the more someone says it’s secure and “don’t worry”, the more concerned we should be and I am.
(Equifax, Yahoo, and many more)

For the record, @jsthvnfun2 — if the cloud videos are end-to-end encrypted, they’re likely MORE secure than your camera’s memory card. Really what it means, in both cases, is that the security is up to you. If you keep your account and your phone out of the wrong hands, they’re secure. Even if someone managed to hack the server where the cloud videos are stored, all they’d have is a bunch of gibberish data they can’t do anything with.

I say the cloud is likely MORE secure because I don’t think Wyze encrypts the memory card itself or the video files on it. (I haven’t checked this, but if I pop the memory card into my computer, I assume I can read the files on it without needing to decrypt them, right?) If not, that means someone with physical access to the camera would have access to your files.

1 Like

That is correct.

1 Like

I got one for you, I have 6 cams 5 are set up to record on motion outside stuff 1 is used for baby cam local only every turn off, but according to plum (network monitor) The baby cam upload 500gigs last month all others combined less than 2 gigs. It should stream from cam to tablet without uploading anything right. Even tried the rtsp firmware did the same.