Can the wyzecam outdoor record continuously if it's plug in?

good, then SD card lends to continuous recording ability like V2 already does. Adding an algorithm to recharge the battery using a solar panel would be possible as well. Continuous charging drains the battery life but an algorithm would compliment battery usage

1 Like

Neat. I didnā€™t realize that.

1 Like

right, you can attach the cam to the base (magnet) or use w/o the base & the 1/4-20 hole, ie tripod

Hereā€™s a couple screenshots showing the continuous recording options

5 Likes

Are you a beta tester for this cam? Can you confirm if the batteries are replaceable?

1 Like

yes I am, no the batteries are not replaceableā€¦although I have disassembled my original WCO and the battery is not hardwired, it has a connector

6 Likes

They are not intended to be removed although I am sure it can be done it will probably void the warranty

1 Like

Is the continuous recording you are using on the SD card or using the optional cloud storage that has a fee?

sd card, Iā€™m not sure scheduled recordings can record to the cloud

yeah I should have mentioned it would most likely void the warranty

1 Like

for the target audience iā€™m sure itā€™s a great product.

For the rest of us if we donā€™t care about voiding the warranty (I donā€™t) and can figure out how to programmatically reset the scheduled recording this might work.

Seems easier to buy a few more pan cams (and generic housings) at least thereā€™s no battery to overheat from being plugged in all the time. Hopefully theyā€™ll release another version without the battery soon.

Iā€™d like to know the genesis of the vacation mode, it seems an interesting decision to put any effort at all in that direction. The only vacation mode Iā€™d be interested in is one that continuously records my house while Iā€™m on vacation.

2 Likes

ok, please define continuous recording. I understand a live continuous is a challenge still, especially with batteries only. But this will still loop on a SD card like the V2? Meaning, I get an alert so can toggle live view or just view the history?

I think you could hook it up to a smart plug. That would allow for you to let it run on battery for a while and then turn the smart plug on to charge it for a short while. But yes, I very very very much hope they release a version without a battery that has an airtight micro-usb port area.

1 Like

I currently have 2 Wyze Cams (V2) outside my house. I purchased a couple of the outdoor Wyze Cam ā€œbirdhousesā€ from Amazon, mounted the cameras on my porch, ran a USB power cable to each camera, and they both have worked very well. No weather or temperature issues at all.

The battery is a deal-breaker for me. I had a Ring camera that used a battery. I was always having to bring the camera inside, plug it in for re-charging, put it back outside, etc. The batteryā€™s charge lasted a month at best. No more Ring camera.

I love the Wyze Cam. I have a bunch of them and have given a bunch more as gifts. Iā€™m going to pass on this one and look forward to the ā€œDoorbellā€ edition.

4 Likes

I honestly have to say that this camera is a huge disappointment. I had hoped for a camera that could continuously record, and had the option of wired power. This is just a less expensive version of a Blink. Restricting it to battery power forces too many compromises in performance, nor am I going to climb a ladder every few weeks to recharge the battery.

Fortunately there are plenty of waterproof enclosures for the Wyze Cam v2.

6 Likes

I like the vacation mode additionā€¦i travel for work a lot and its nice to have something to setup quick in my hotel room that can monitor things for meā€¦ i believe the idea came from wanting to use this in situations that are far removed from the base station/routerā€¦ like the far end of a property or barn/shed ext.

1 Like

the WCO doesnā€™t have continuous recording like the v1/v2/pan, but it does have scheduled recordings where you can set it up to record continuously for up to 30 days, the video is stored on the sd card. Personally if I wanted continuous recording, Iā€™d set up a week at a time on scheduled recording. Other than that, regular motion recordings go to the cloud, but u can setup scheduled recordings for motion only.

When viewing a motion alert video, you can toggle live stream just like v2/pan

I have v2s outside under eaves too, but my biggest gripe is I get a ton of false alerts (though I have notifications set to person only), especially at night w/ bugs. WCO eliminates most of that.

the WCO Iā€™m testing Iā€™ve had since mid Dec '19, I just charged it for only the 2nd time, so I was getting 3-4 months.

2 Likes

Wow I am thinking the same as you. I will probably email to cancel as well. Total let down that it doesnā€™t record continuously and you canā€™t power it by plugging it in.

1 Like

I donā€™t get any false alerts. I have the cameras set to only send notifications for ā€œperson detectionā€. There are a bunch of ā€œmotion alertsā€ recorded, but I donā€™t get notified when they occur. The only notification I get is when a person walks in front of the camera. All of the ā€œother motionsā€ show up in the ā€œEventsā€ log, so I take a quick look every morning just to see whatā€™s there.

1 Like

yes, I have the same setup, but I still review the events daily, so when thereā€™s 50+ false events, itā€™s a little annoying

1 Like