Cam Plus Lite Deadline Extended to February 28th - 2/14/22

Looks like you are good to go. See my question and the reply immediately above to answer some of your questions.

I am with the many who feel this is a clear bait and switch. I personally recommended Wyze to family and friends. I am now in the position of having to listen to them complain about how you lied, they hate you and feel you are blackmailing them to into a monthly fee. I have no argument because I feel the same way. Your actions have tarnished my persona reputation and for this you will never be forgiven. I will cancel all my subscriptions and use the Wyze hardware until it dies,. I will not be a continued customer and I will no longer give Wyze any positive endorsements to my circle of contacts. It is unfortunate, but you appear to have gone to the dark side. Bye, Fred J.

Prior to Cam Plus Lite, your Wyze Cam supplied 12-second videos as often as every 5 minutes with only motion and sound detections. Beginning 2/28, your options are…

• Cameras without Cam Plus Lite will be assumed to not have a use for cloud storage functionality, so they will be supplied with minimal services - still images instead of cloud videos for motion and sound) and notifications will continue to be as often as every 5 minutes.
  • Cameras with Cam Plus Lite will continue to see 12-second videos for motion and sound detections as often as every 5 minutes. They will also be upgraded with a new community-funded Person Detection option for users who only want notifications/recordings when people are detected in the video.
  • Cameras with Cam Plus or Cam Plus Pro will see full-length videos for motion and sound detections and they can be back-to-back with no delay. They will be able to use the full suite of AI Detections - Pet, Package, Person, and Vehicle.

For more info please check out the FAQ here:

1 Like

Make sure to let your family and friends know that contributions are completely optional, even if you want to retain your cloud video storage. Sign up for Cam Plus Lite and you can select basically any amount, even $0. :pray:

We hope that Person Detection is helpful and is useful enough for you to consider a contribution to help us pay for our cloud AI costs, but we have a $0/mo contribution option for those who aren’t in a position to pay. Our goal is to make everyone’s cameras as useful as possible and we hope that the community can come together to help make that sustainable for us. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @WyzeJimmy !! I think my above questions are answered…

One last question… I have already signed-up for the Cam Plus Lite (CPL) and have, for example 15 Wyze Cam v3 today on my account, so these get enrolled for the CPL. If I purchase 10 more Wyze Cams in April 2022, will the newly purchased and registered Wyze Cams get the CPL?

One tip for Wyze should make these licensing terms smaller :smiley:

Cam Plus Lite → CPL
Cam Plus → CP
Cam Plus Pro → CPP

As of right now, we’re not planning to cut off the enrollment or the camera binding for Cam Plus Lite BUT we’re only able to guarantee compatibility with today’s Wyze Cam models until we are able to assess our results and determine that it’s okay for us to continue expanding Cam Plus Lite.

So that means that if you were to buy an existing model like Wyze Cam v3 or Wyze Cam Outdoor in April 2022, they will work with Cam Plus Lite.
If we were to release a Wyze Cam v4 later though, for example, that may not necessarily be compatible. TBD. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As long as Wyze Camv3 and Outdoor Cam would be supported for next 5-6 years, I think I am fine to live (love them) with them with the Cam Plus Lite :smiley:

Have already invested a bit too much into Wyze eco system, including the Wyze home security and so far I am happy (already bought replacement wyze cams for original wyze cams)

1 Like

“So that means that if you were to buy an existing model like Wyze Cam v3 or Wyze Cam Outdoor in April 2022, they will work with Cam Plus Lite.
If we were to release a Wyze Cam v4 later though, for example, that may not necessarily be compatible. TBD.

This is the frustrating thing about Wyze. The seemingly constant policy changes. I get that a startup has some glitches along the way. If the low cost business model was not destined to be survivable, a lot of that should have been anticipatable up front, with some cushion/protection built into the business model.

But this back and forth stuff is confusing and frustrating even for someone mostly paying attention.

First our Wyze Cam v2s had person detection included, no charge. Then Wyze lost the license for that firmware. So Wyze person detection was offered on those pre-lost license legacy cameras (I even named our qualifying cameras that way).

Then I recall another Person Detection “pay us what you want” experiment.

Then a forced 30-day CamPlus free trial on later products. (There was no way to skip it if we had already rejected it previously.)

Followed by this latest round that at least appeared to be “upgrade and sign up” or else… even if that was not the intent. I did this signup but the process was not all that clear.

If Wyze’s intent is to experiment with a range of business model solutions to long term survival, why not do these experiments on a subset of customers (perhaps with a spiff like free shipping for a year or whatever)… before dumping it on the general population?

Most frustrated customers don’t bother to click thru to a Wyze forum to comment. They simply throw the failed/frustrating products in the obsolete tech box in the basement/garage… and perhaps share their experience elsewhere when “Wyze” happens to come up in conversation. Perhaps Wyze loyalists will disagree, but I believe the above assessment ref;ects the frustration of a large portion of customers.

All this stuff makes me a bit sad since I strongly supported and referred friends and relatives to Wyze. I want Wyze to succeed. But with such a firehose of new products pushed out the door over the past couple years, it is perhaps not surprising customers feel burned by failed products like the v1 security kit.

5 Likes

Could you PLEASE get someone/Anyone at Wyze to address the NO VOLUME problem on the Home Monitor System’s Siren? It has been almost a YEAR that this potentially dangerous issue has been happening. No one at Wyze has even publicly acknowledged that this issue exists and its resolution is being ACTIVELY addressed!

I expressed my view in the forum, I am bailing on Wyze. I wish you the best, but your integrity is not what I thought it was.

Fred J.

2 Likes

I agree, my main reason to even try Wyze was the free storage for a few days. Now you have to sign up. Yeah, might be free for now, but any future addition will probably not be. I’m just upset over all the promises when I purchased and now wanting to start charging.
I agree they should have foreseen this. They should have considered all worst case scenarios before offering the free storage.
Makes me feel like they are trying to set the hooks now after fishing for awhile. I personally have other cameras already set up that are still free and will be phasing out the Wyze cameras due to poor business practice.

I’m must say to comments on the wyze camera and the ability to succeed. I personally would say it’s rubbish for down grading the greatness of the app and the camera itself. Even all the outstanding work wyze put in to it to make it better and better over there time. It’s just my opinion and it’s been flawless and not to mention that to subscribe it is not that expensive to purchase the subscription. I love it and I definitely recommend it to all who is looking for great quality and service in a camera.

1 Like

I get an error when I go to the Wyze website and select Wyze Cam Lite “subscribe” button. “Please contact the server administrator at root@localhost…”. Heck, at least configure your server errors. :smile:

# Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at root@localhost to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

That being said, I’ve had the regular Cam Plus and that thing is about 50% reliable. When not getting my video, I get either stills or various error numbers that pretty much result in the video not being able to be pulled from the cloud and this is some 12 hours after the video was taken, not mere minutes.
Yes, they are cheap cameras but I’m paying for this service so I’d like higher reliability.

Don’t waste your money on Cam Plus. It has never consistently worked no is the biggest disappointment that I have had over many years of buying Wyze products. I have LOT OF Wyze products and will continue to upgrade e.g. V2 to V3 to V whatever……SD cards make a lot more sense for continuous recording. Cloud Cam Plus makes more sense for secured recording if it was reliable. If Wyze stops supporting SD recording in the future I’m done with Wyze. Until then……Wyze is a great company offering great products for the price. BTW…Wyze makes it difficult to cancel the required auto renew feature of Cam Plus so beware!!!

2 Likes

I get that cloud recordings are costly. However, its unfair to switch your business model after establishing a loyal customer base.

I switched from Ring to you guys because you pitched free cloud recordings (though limited in length if not paying a subscription). My decision to purchase your cameras and base station were based on this feature.

You should elect to make this new change applicable to new customers and grandfather old customers as they say to continue the plan in place at the time of purchase etc.

I assume your trying to sway customers by promoting Person detection failed to generate revenue and so now this new tactic surfaced. Its just a matter of time before you force all to subscribe with no option to pay nothing.

At this point, regrettably, I will be looking at the competition once again as a name your fee apprach will not be sustainable in the long term and you will force subscription fees in the end.

2 Likes

Rubbish. So I should be greatful for being billed to continue a service I was happy with and getting for free?

1 Like

I think we did not fail. This is phase one. Same old story…start free…gradually make services cost. A pay what you want model is not sustainable.

You’re hitting the nail on the head….it’s the ol’ Hershey bar approach. A candy bar for a nickel….then a smaller bar for a nickel then raise the price to a dime…then make the bar smaller and then raise the price to a quarter……on and on.

Cam and 12 sec storage for $20 then a more expensive and admittedly better cam (V3), increase cool down period making the cam a useless security device, add subscription Cam Plus, raise the price, sell the cam as a package with Cam Plus at an increased “discounted” price, hook you into difficult to cancel annual subscriptions. Add new products with commit you even more to the Wyze environment….no problem here, I buy and am responsible for the commitment, but the original cam model is lost. At the end of the day in the future we’ll pay $60+ for less than what we purchased when jumped on board with the V2. Once users get frosted with the program they will bail from Wyze and I’ll pick up their discarded products on eBay until I, too, put my lot of cams, buds, headphones, bulbs, plugs, scales, controllers, etc. up for sale, which may be coming sooner than expected.

Mam, may I have one of those Hershey bars? That will be $8.00 sir. Oh well, I still like the bars.

1 Like

I really don’t know what to say about this. First of all the V3 cam is plagued with issues that should be improved before this type of stuff. Imperceptible pick up of voices only feet away, missing events that other cameras on the property have caught, and useless things like 12 seconds playback.

I never quite understood why they would purposefully find at 12 seconds other than to sell you a service. Even their original advertisement for why you should pay shows a car going down a hill into a pool showing how you wouldn’t even have known if just watching the 12 second clip which proves that they know 12 seconds isn’t enough time especially if there’s a pre-roll.

If you’re going to take away 12 seconds then why don’t you match other cameras that allow you to have features for their SD card. The last time I checked even if you paid for plus you still could not watch SD card video at faster speeds.

Recently added 30 second forward or back is also an ill-conceived amount of time when it would be better to have the software scroll at faster speeds like two times, four times, big times. I could understand when it’s cloud-based that you wanted to limit use
on the Amazon servers but I like the SD card experience so limited?
As for cam plus I don’t find the service worth it. I tried it and then tried it a second time and it really wasn’t identifying things properly enough and while I appreciate you collecting a database of reports to refine it, you didn’t have enough choices for instance I live in a country with an animal goes by your only choice was to call it a “pet”. Cam plus just wasn’t accurate enough to pay for AI.

I really can’t recommend these cameras to anybody. They’re one step up above a child’s toy due to the low image quality,poor audio and lack of SD playback features. Maybe if one isn’t paying for cloud services they can upgrade the bitrate the camera records that so that things in motion will be clear and the image overall will be better.

2 Likes

Raise your hand if you saw this coming. Because nothing is free. Uploading videos [mostly of waving trees] requires a bit of electricity and lots of server space. Selling $20 cameras surely couldn’t pay for all that. I think Wyze was “wise” to that when they made their cameras with microSD slots. A snapshot is just fine with me. This way I can see what triggered that single detection block I’ve resorted to to keep from the going crazy and if it’s actually something I can go to the card’s instant replay.

PS: No such thing as A.I. [yet]. What you get with Cam Plus is the Chinese version where a bunch of people review the shots and add an image to a database of pixel shapes. The computer doesn’t know what it’s looking at. An actual intelligence would know thems people in the shot. But this ain’t that.

PPS: A bunch of people adding pixels to a database costs money so you should expect that $1.25 a camera to go up. It’s not Wyze’s fault. Mo’ money, mo’ problems.

2 Likes