Adjusting sensitivity of sense motion sensor

Been playing with the new wyze-sense for couple of days and loving it :slight_smile: Put the contact sensor to great use, but having mixed luck with the motion sensor. Is there a way to control the sensitivity of this sensor? right now it is picking motion happening far away e.g. leaves moving, car passing by (it is far away, but has partial view of nearby street)

3 Likes

It shouldn’t be picking up moving leaves unless they are hotter than their surroundings.

2 Likes

I don’t think you can adjust the sensitivity. Someone mentioned in another post that it might help by facing the sensor away from the street. I had a ton of false alarms facing it towards the street… I’m going to test facing it away from the street to see if it helps.

1 Like

I initially mounted a Motion sensor under a porch overhang, above an entry door and facing the street. It triggered when people walked on the sidewalk which measured at 41 feet from the sensor. That created numerous false positive events. After re-mounting the Motion sensor facing the door the only events triggered are when someone approaches the door.

I mounted a Motion Sensor under a wide roof overhang above a deck where it is protected from rain, wind, and direct sunlight. In Case 1 it was mounted to directly face the house door. Later, in Case 2 it was re-mounted above the door to face away from it. In both cases the sensor alerts very frequently, probably in response to sunlight that washes over the face of the glass of the door and the deck surface. Does anyone have suggestions on reducing these alerts, e.g., positioning or shielding of the sensor?

I don’t think that there is any law which says you have to have a PIR sensor horizontal. Place it above the door facing down and try that.

1 Like

Sadly, I get the same result when mounting the Motion Sensor on the ceiling of a porch overhang, facing down. A bright wash of sunlight across the surface of the deck seems to trigger the sensor.

A perfect solution may not exist for you.

Maybe you could look into some kind of artificial intelligence trigger.

I’m specifically interested in the title of this post… why can’t we customize the detection sensitivity of the motion sensors? How hard would that be to develop an option for this?

2 Likes

This may have been suggested in another thread but I used electrical tape to obscure part of the sensor on a Leviton (sp) light switch used in our pantry. Every time someone walked past the pantry entrance the light would come on so I just put a strip of tape over the side of the sensor closest to the door. Worked perfectly. I think I’ll try something similar with my Wyze Sense motion detector. Maybe a strip or maybe a circle; not sure which may work and to what degree. If anyone tries this experiment, please chime in.

2 Likes

Here I was about to 3d design and print a cover lol

I’ve just mounted new outdoor cams, one is faced toward the street which is about 50 feet away. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity so that I don’t get passing cars and people walking?

1 Like

I added a short piece of PVP pipe on the from of the senior dome.
Place senior across entry points to our property …they act as trip wires.
…more here for yah…