Ability to customize groups - Group multiple product (Device) types together

Agreed. It’s like they came up with super great camera first… Pushed that out as fast as possible and gave no real thought to application features prior to roll out. And have spent last few years playing catch up… It’s a bummer in that regard. I, too, will wait and see about app update… And agree… Shouldn’t have to wait YEARS for simple, super useful, common elsewhere, features.

2 Likes

Just to add a bit to what @spamoni said:

AFAIK, you can have cams all over the planet on one account within the stock Wyze app. I have a bunch of locations on one “$99 for 99 cameras” CamPlus account.

And you can group them however you want, but only by equipment type, which is the grind here. So freakin’ illogical. :angry:

But also, if you already have multiple accounts set up for multiple remote locations, and want to quickly combine them, just share the cams between your accounts.

Then you can even put cams from different locations in the same group for quick access.

But as soon as you can physically get to them, and if you are the key manager of all the cams, life is definitely easier when you move them all to one account. Especially for remotely viewing your saved micro-SD card footage! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I hate that this started in 2019 and is still not top of the requirements list! Basic - expected - functionality for the users of the products, not what some developer feels is a good idea. I like the idea of all Wyze employees using their products - watch how fast they improve.

2 Likes

I can’t believe it either :slight_smile: I can only assume there is a technical reason for why it can’t be done.

Interesting thought.

I perceived it to be merely an interface issue - where it would be simple to display varying things separately or together. At least in a thumbnail type screen.

But indeed, perhaps the types and sources of data being pulled up for differing devices are tricky to collect and display on one screen without overloading something in the app.

I still want all info for one location on one screen, but then again, I’m one of those deluded people who thought it would take less that four years to program a dark mode version of the app…

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I have to believe this is not the case being a programmer. The devices themselves would be taking care of the data gathering and grouping would be more just UI.

Ideally they would just create an open (local) API for all the devices and we could write whatever sort of apps we needed for the devices. Yes, this is also a sort of round about plug for Home Assistant which I feel they are clearly missing the boat on by not integrating with it.

2 Likes

Since the Wyze ecosystem has expanded well beyond that of just the original Cam offering into a Integrated Smart Home ecosystem with Cams, Home Security, Home Environment, Lighting, Hazzard Prevention, Network, etc… It would be really beneficial to start moving the App UI toward a more Home-centric UI model like some other unnamed Digital Assistants have. The ability to group any device by room and\or type, group devices in multiple groups and\or rooms, and to have the ability to place groups or rooms into other groups or rooms would produce the most flexible, useful, and satisfying user experience.

5 Likes

:+1::+1:

2 Likes

I was programmer for many years and I think it’s safe to say there’s no reason the UI could not be changed to be much more user friendly (UX is important here). The fact that, to my knowledge, every other smart home App has this feature, plus related issues (like having two homes).

There’s no excuse for wasting effort on the crap Live View, when a major App upgrade is needed. I don’t believe Wyze does much in terms of checking requirements with users, since their wish list stuff just sits there, while they try to make more profit by creating products (Wyze Watch - no more effort on that, likely other peripheral items will go that way too, gun safes, vacuums, etc). To be considered a real Smart Home company, they must focus on the key items we want and need. Time they started listening to htis forum and making better business decisions (great, you made a deal with CostCo and Roku - now focus on your customer base!)

Enough ranting; the Wyze Groupies may descend on me. I don’t like pointing out all the issues, but if we don’t, we will never get the changes and the requirements implemented.

It is frustrating that the avenues to talk to Wyze employees never seems to make much of a difference. Plus things Reddit are for Groupies mainly - not Joe Public. Oh yeah, stop ranting…

2 Likes

Amazing the community has been asking for such a simple feature for YEARS and still nothing. Wyze seems to only care about pushing new products for you to buy and no thought to supporting their current ones.

Just added an outdoor plug and of course I cant group it with my indoor plugs. Ridiculous.

2 Likes

Seriously??
:exploding_head:
Not that I in any way doubt you, but WTF??

I was just looking at some Wyze plugs at Home Despot whilst on another mission of undisclosed origin and am suddenly extra glad I put them back…

The boxes were rather dusty, but I had no idea of this hidden insanity…

I also think groups of dissimilar items into logical groups would be helpful. With many Airbnb properties with multiple devices per property, it would be very helpful to group them together by property.

2 Likes

App request: Organize cameras by location, etc

Apologies if this is a duplicate feature request or if there’s already a way to solve this problem. I ST*F but came up empty.

I’d like to have optionality regarding how my Wyze cameras are organized in the app’s Devices view. Tabs or a titled heading would suffice when organizing:

1. cams within a single address (i.e. first floor, exterior, most important).
  2. cams installed at an entirely different address.

Right now I’m leading each Wyze cam’s name with a nickname for the location of the cam, but a better method for organizing the cameras would be nice.

[Mod Note]: Your topic, associated replies and votes were merged to this #wishlist request for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar requests.

Do you mean “LivingRoom_1”, “LivingRoom_2”?

Hi, Mark,

Thanks for following up. Yes, that’s half of it.

I’m looking to solve two situations.

Improve organization 1) within one home, as in your example, and 2) differentiate and organize between multiple homes.

Here’s a quick mockup:

1 Like

I have devices in two different homes. Currently the devices are commingled. I would like to view devices by location under the same ID. See the Google Nest and Ring app for how they have done it.

1 Like

device groups

Add the ability to group multiple device types together in Wyze App home screen. Example, primary, vacation home, rental property. Would improve user experience organization in app if could create a global group of devices such as Cameras, Monitoring, Switches, Sensors, etc.

2 Likes

I just installed home monitoring in my second home. Had to use a different account as there can only be one home monitoring system on one account. Very inconvenient having to sign in and out of two accounts to see my devices in the two homes.

1 Like

I run two homes and just have unique names for Wyze devices :-(. It’s not rocket science to assume multiple locations (SmartThings, Ecobee, Ring, Nest, Google, etc), like allowing me to group devices into a group of my naming (like “Living Room”). I don’t need a group of cameras, or a group of locks - how dumb is this?

But please not that that this a “user” forum, and not monitored by Wyze, so forget getting anything looked at that doesn’t represent an increased revenue stream. Making things work right is not high on the agenda I suspect - like where is the new App, and when we will get a PC “App” (no not Web Fail) - none of this should be up for discussion, it should be on the roadmap as “Must Do”.

I’ve said it before, the HW precedes the SW and is better by leagues. For example, the new PTZ cameras look cool, and the price is what we’ve come to expect from Wyze. So why cant they spend just a tad more on some decent SW developers and get stuff done in 3 months instead of 3 years or more?

Okay, yet another rant - but maybe some of this will get back to the marketing team, the design team (please tell me you have one!), the development team, the FVT team (and the Beta Team - us, do it better), and finally - the owners. You guys need to not just focus on cameras in 2023, you need to get focused on supporting our needs, not yours - they should intersect.

FFS get us a new App!

Exactly what I have been saying for 2 years…im converting to Ring…they have a convenient toggle between different locations.

1 Like