32GB Micro SD Card Local Storage Question

I am using a 32gb micro sd card. I usually have it recording only events but sometimes i would have it continuous recording. Now i notice i have less than 1gb remaining. If i let it get used up, does that mean it would automatically erase everything and then i would have like 29.5gb out of 29.7gb available?

Do i need to press format now when its close to like under 1gb or 0.5gb remaining? Or just leave it as is? I also heard of micro sd cards getting eaten up or not working etc and I don’t want to risk that happening to my micro sd card as it has worked fine ever since i put it in.

Also is there a way to have all the footage that i haved saved on it… copied say to an external hard drive or my laptop? I do not need to do this but curious if i can. I assume this has to be possible right? But i have to buy something separate i assume?

so once the card fills it will automatically start to overwrite the oldest files. you wont need to format it.

more than likely the card issues you have read about are issues with the card itself.

here is a link to some info ( user tested) and it might give you an idea of what to use. make sure you are using an “endurance” card that is made for continuous read/ writes. many standard cards ( think of the regular ones you might buy at Walmart) will error because they are made for things like a point and shoot camera, not a continuous HD read write video set up.

currently the only way to backup the entire card is to pull it and put it in a computer to make copies of it.

I know that Wyze have talked about other ways todo this and I’m sure at some point there will be an easier way, but for now, its what we have.

1 Like

Hi there. My micro sd card is not an enhanced card. So do you suggest me click format on it since i have very little gb left? Or just let it be and then it wipes itself?

you can format it if you want. it shouldn’t matter, once its full it will just start erasing the oldest files. the reason I bring up endurance cards is because they are made to do read writes continuously for very long times. exactly what our cameras do. I had regular cards in a dashcam and kept having the cards fail. eventually it would just go bad. so after many hours spent researching I found information about endurance cards and what makes them special. our cameras (even on event only mode) do a lot of read/writes over and over and over. the same thing dashcams do. based on all the forum posts about card failure one common thread was the majority of them were just using regular NON ENDURANCE cards. I don’t know of any endurance card failures in our cameras yet. this is why I recommend having endurance cards. yes you will find people using regular sandisk ultra cards from Walmart that haven’t had any problems. but I’m going to claim statistically (even though I haven’t done the actual analysis) that they are far more likely to have a card failure then users utilizing endurance cards made for these types of uses.

the big upside to memory these days is that it is insanely cheap. even good quality cards.

if you would like some info on good endurance cards feel free to message me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

BAM has hit the nail on the head.

Flash memory can be written to a limited number of times before the memory cell becomes permanently damaged and fails.

The difference between standard flash memory and Endurance flash memory, is endurance can take around 3 times as may overwrite events as normal memory before it fails. Thus if a normal memory card would fail after 12 months of continuous writing, an endurance card should last around 3 years.

The difference in price is endurance is more expensive, often twice as much. However, from both a cost and trouble pov, it’s well worth the extra. There’s nothing worse than having your home broken into only to find the camera didn’t record it because the memory card had failed.

The other important item to observe with memory is the V rating. The V rating is the bit rate speed with which video can be written to the card. This needs to be well above the cameras bit rate, otherwise you’ll suffer from stuttering, corrupted and failed recordings:

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1996/~/difference-between-speed-class%2C-uhs-speed-class%2C-speed-ratings-(performance)

For endurance memory, I’d personally recommend Lexar or Transcend although I’ve only used these in dashcams, not Wyze cams. I’m currently considering Wyze as a 1st step into CCTV as I can’t afford the recording / support equipment to go with a full IP set up.

2 Likes

I agree. trancend is the best! but currently in 9 of 10 cameras im running this

no issues and a good price.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Endurance-32GB-Micro-Adapter/dp/B07B98GXQT/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=samsung+endurance+cards&qid=1557221942&s=gateway&sr=8-4

2 Likes