WyzeCam "eating" micro SD cards?

It is legit. I’m not sure why that misspelling shows up on the forum link preview. The misspelling isn’t on the actual site linked to.

1 Like

Great! If I see a misspelling, I avoid it like the plague!

3 Likes

Definitely a good practice!

2 Likes

Is that wyzecam microsd pretty good though overall?

hello @pauly2, the official Wyze microSD card? If so then yes I have one and no issues at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-Labs-Expandable-Storage-MicroSDHC/dp/B07DG5KNKG

Can you please also send me a copy of the instructions?

Instructions to do a full format on a computer? You can use this tool:

Official SD card formatter from the SD Card Association:

Note: If you are using a card larger than 32GB (not officially supported), you will need to use a different computer-based formatting tool because the official SD Card Association tool will not format a larger card as FAT32 as required by the Wyze Cams.

The issues seems to be more prevalent in the Pan cams. I have two Pan cams and both of the stop working after a week or two. They will just keep rebooting (?), turning back and forth as long as the microSD card is inserted. When I format the card in a computer it works again. I have not had one go completely dead yet.
Have not had the issue on the two Wyze cam v2 yet.
I suspect it has to do with the microSD card filling up and trying to overwrite the older video footage,

I’m planning on getting a camera from microcenter. I was looking through their microsd cards and found Micro Center 32GB microSDHC Card Class 10 Flash Memory Card with Adapter - Micro Center. Any reason this would be an issue more than anything else?

Hello @Wajo357, I wouldn’t expect you to run into any issues because the reviews on the card all seem solid but if you do run into an issues I would recommend buying a card directly from Wyze or go with Sandisk.

Thanks!

No problem :call_me_hand:t5:

I have new version wyze cam with 32 gig wyze SD card as of yesterday. The camera ate a 16 gig SanDisk card earlier. We’ll see how long it lasts. It only records motion and is set to capture deer eating all the flowers and other ornamentals in the yard.
It was formatted on w10.

just noticed a peculiar thing. While trying to rejuvenate the 16 gig sd card that was eaten, i put it in win 10 computer and it is seen as a 30 MEG capacity card! And of course, it is not recognized nmor formatted.This time i tried the formatter suggested here rather than the one in windows.

That really makes me wonder if it’s a bogus fake SD card.

yeah, definitely sounds like a knock off.

Could be. It’s been around for quite some time. Don’t know whence it came. I know it did work before putting it in camera, as I had it in a dash cam for awhile.

1 Like

That’s funky… Thanks for letting us know!

that could be your issue. I had run through 5-6 cards before I researched and found the toll that dash cams, or electronics that do continuous read writes have on cards. maybe that started a small failure on the cards and it was only noticed once you tried using it in the wyze cam. def. one of the reasons I researched enough and learned to use TCL format endurance cards.

Just some more information from my attempts… I still have 3, 32gb cards that the cameras wrecked, and have been attempting various avenues to bring the cards back to life…I’m sorry to report that so far all my efforts have failed.

What I can tell you is what WILL NOT work… Nothing in Windows (reformat tool in “this pc”, nor Disk Management… SOMETIMES the wrecked cards will show up in Disk Mgt, and sometimes not. When it does show up, no available function will start/work on the card(s).
Most recently, I tried AOMEI Partition Assistant (both Standard and Pro editions)… NOPE! The card will show up in the dashboard, but ALL commands are greyed out/unavailable. If nothing else, Wyzecams do a super job of totally wrecking SD cards, with no hope of recovering them.

So… It was Oct 18 when I brought this issue the the attention of Wyze… do you have anything on fixing this issue yet??? I’d REALLY like to have/use the advertised functionality that I paid for with these cameras.