Wyze Finally Works With Google Assistant!

Reminder From The Community Guidelines

Key points from the guidelines to keep in mind:

• Remember to criticize ideas, not people
  • Please avoid name-calling
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream
  • Keep posts relevant to Wyze

Important sections:

Always Be Civil

Somtimes We Disagree

1 Like

Right on cue lol I’ve been forced to filter through filth in my inbox on a daily basis for months as a result of the nonsense going on in this thread. The only reason I’m subscribed here is to be informed of a fix, not listen to the crybaby whining of people who apparently should themselves have been engineers and senior developers, seeing as you all know so much better as to how this should be fixed already. I could care less about your biased opinion, as I haven’t seen you call anyone out for name calling Wyze employees, so I’ll say whatever I want to say, thanks, I don’t care if I offend your delicate sensibilities.

@Frederik @UserCustomerGwen

I have some updates. I am still unable to stream to any smart display. I have a Nest Hub, Nest Hub Max, Lenovo Smart Display, and a Lenovo Smart Clock. I have Google Wifi with a gigabit service. I am however able to stream to the new Chromecast with Google TV. It buffered after about 10 seconds of successful playback and then buffered continuously only showing a frame about every 5 seconds. Latency was about 12 seconds. I was able to repeat this several times. I am still unable to stream to any other Chromecast. For comparison sake, all of my other branded cameras still stream immediately and continuously to all of my devices.
Didn’t know if the new Chromecast was different other than being an Ultra. Either way, it looks like we have a little progress.

Some posts were removed or edited that did not follow the Community Guidelines. Please flag posts that violate the guidelines so the moderators can respond appropriately.

Important sections:

Always Be Civil

Somtimes We Disagree

4 Likes

@Frederik
I would like to give you the info from my small test on Thursday Oct 29, I attempted to stream a v2 cam on ,y Google Home Hub. I let it try to play for approximately 2 minutes and got nothing but a black screen with the ‘playing smart home camera’ part. I then told Google to stop and as soon as it got back to the main screen I again told it to stream the same camera. It then started playing after about 10-15 seconds and I let it stream for about 8 minutes before stopping it. In those 8 minutes it never went out, never buffered and the time stamp did keep increasing second by second. The one thing I neglected to check was how far behind the video was, however this is a marked improvement. Thank you for all your work.

5 Likes

Has it occurred to you that Google has no great incentive to put a lot of resources into making it work? Or, for that matter, providing accurate information to Wyze about why it doesn’t always work?

If Wyze can provide a fully compatible camera for $20, what could that mean for Nest products that sell for a multiple of that?

I’m just speculating about this. Only Wyze and Google know the whole story. I doubt that anyone at Wyze would risk the battalion of lawyers that would show up at the door if they were to point the finger at Google for trying to monkey wrench the integration. I certainly don’t expect anyone at Wyze to do so.

In other words, don’t be a kvetch.

No need to get emotional or name-call. These types of comments are detrimental to the thread.

There are other wifi cameras that work with Google Assistant. Do they cost more? Yes. Has the Wyze camera v2 been advertised as “works with google assistant” for years? Yes. Has this ever been true? No. Is Wyze camera v3 advertised as “works with google assistant”? No.

@UserCustomerGwen @Frederik
With all that… my original points still stand.

1. Wyze should stop advertising cam v2 as “works with google”.
  2. Wyze should offer refunds for cam v2 due to this false advertising.
  3. New products are constantly being released this year. More effort should be put into resolving this glaring outstanding issue. Without supporting existing products, I am extremely hesitant to purchase any of these new products (even though they look awesome and, as always with Wyze, are priced well versus the competition). Will these new products sell? Of course. But if these new products are supported as poorly as cam v2, these customers will also then cease to purchase new products. Any successful business knows that you’re only as strong as your customer base coming back for more. You cannot simply rely on new customers with each new product release.
  4. Wyze should find engineers that were integral to solving the Google Assistant video streaming integration that work/worked at other wifi camera companies.
3 Likes

Its not thatsbGoogle home is trash. Because I honestly love it. It’s that Wyze for some reason can not incorporate the right coding so that the wyze products can work with Google. I just wish they stop saying that their products are google compatible. THATS FALSE ADVERTISING! NOTHING WORKS WITH GOOGLE ASSISTANT OR GOOGLE SMART DISPLAYS.

1 Like

Lucky for you. I have 11 Wyze cameras, purchased because they would integrate with Google. Didn’t matter much at the time because I didn’t have a smart display. I now have a Hub Max, and I (like most other people) can’t even get my cameras to link over to Google Home. Unless they are linked, they can never play on my device.

I would LOVE to get some direct help from you! I have 11 Wyze cameras, purchased because they would integrate with Google. Didn’t matter much at the time because I didn’t have a smart display and only viewed on my phone anyway. I now have a Hub Max, and I can’t even get my cameras to link over to Google Home. Unless they are linked, they can never play on my device. When I go to the Google Assistant web page on PC (where you can link/unlink), it shows as being linked, but they never show up in my Google Home. Have tried unlinking and linking numerous times.

“Works with Google Chromecast”…I have to disagree with you there. Your box says Google Assistant. Wyze cams won’t even link to Google Home/Assistant. I can’t get them to even show up. Very disappointing.

I have no problem using Google Assistant on my phone or tablet directing it to display any cam on my TV with a Chromecast Ultra. It does work and it works well.

I cannot do the same using my Google Home or Mini. I also can’t do the same using a regular Chromecast.

I think they will get to this issue when they sell out of all the new socks they engineered. I’ve been waiting 4ever… dont even kno why they say their products are google home compatible.

So, Lifehackster got the Cam V3 to load on a Nest hub during his original test, then in the most recent video he tested the V2 and V3 together and this time neither worked. So it seems like sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, even for the same person.

ENV: Not line of sight, open space with 4 corners to AP. Max distance: 25’
CAM: Wyze v2 (fw 4.9.6.199)
WiFi: Unifi AP (MIMO 3x3, 22 dBm 2G)
ENDPOINTS: MiBox and Fire TV right next to each other both on 5G 20’ from WiFi AP around corners in open space, not line of sight. Signal levels to all devices reasonable at <-65dBm other devices. weaker but good.

ENDPOINT: MiBox3 (android 9)
CAM: v2 (fw 4.9.6.199, test cam #1)
RESULT: Get snapshot within 10secs then constantly “buffering” but never streams. Get intermittent snapshots. It’s been this way forever.

ENDPOINT: Fire TV 2nd gen box 4K codename Sloane
CAM: v2 (fw 4.9.6.199, test cam #1)
RESULT: Get constant stream within 5sec with good stream continuity.

CAM: Old generic IP cam streaming RTSP
RESULT: Connect within 15sec and streams with reasonable consistency. Buffer stagger but viewable on both Android (v9) TV box and Fire TV.

CONCLUSION (asof 2020.11.07)
Google Chromecast: Wyze is not viewable, reliable or dependable.
Alexa : Wyze is viewable, reliable and dependable on FireTV.

SideNote #1; Wyze app (android 9, app v2.14.35) crashes, freezes and need to force App Stop and restart in order to connect. Sux. Last 5+ updates progressively worse and worse. It was consistent before updates since lock, outdoor cam.

SideNote #2: keypad sux. battery >80%, Lock Gateway is 10’ to door, keypad 5’ from door outside . It worked the 1st week relatively consistently but after 2nd wk, you have to type in code 3-5x before unlocking.

[UPDATE] grammar and updates.

This guy is like the community troll :joy:

1 Like

Take note of @RobertofSunnyvale’s post. Technical in nature, contributory to the thread subject, provides technical troubleshooting and results of scenarios/device combinations that may not have been tested before, leading to further information that could possibly be used toward a resolution. Helpful, concise, and on topic.

Now take note of your posts. Immature, inflammatory, combative, insulting, and overall just ignorant and a waste of everyone’s time… And I’m the troll… lol I thought you were ‘done with Wyze’ like a month ago, why are you still here?

2 Likes

You literally just proved my point.

1 Like

You should have a disclaimer about the freebies you get for pushing your mantra. Be honest about it.

1 Like

Some posts are not following the Community Guidelines. Please adhere to the following in particular.

Important sections:

Always Be Civil

Somtimes We Disagree

3 Likes