Wyze cameras use multiple outgoing IP addresses

See earlier in the thread, it does work (to a certain extent, and with some caveats) with cameras, at least until your authentication runs out.

For me it is a non-starter as the cams are on an isolated network so they can only be reached by “tromboning” through the internet.

Edit - sorry was discussed toward the end of this thread (I didn’t think it worked either but you just really have to force it)

1 Like

Interesting. I had, of course, disabled isolation and switched my phone to the IoT network but the Wyze App gave me the “thanks for playing… sorry not gonna work for ya” :slight_smile: The reason i had mentioned this because construction hit a fiber line, so I was down 12 hrs (house wise) and I had my thermostat locked so the adult kids would stop changing the settings and I needed to kick it down a bit as it happened to be extra hot that day in FL. I have a MiFi (thanks to work…shhh :shushing_face: ) so my phone and computers had internet but no access to any smarthome IoT devices.

But thanks for bringing the post, i clearly missed, to my attention. Thinking in terms of the typical average, non tech savvy user, it would be great if the app somehow had the ability to recognize loss of internet connectivity and automatically allowed you to at least view things without having to enable/disable this or that.

It is a common issue with phones, they’re not great at managing two networks, they want to use one, and if that goes down, use the other. So when the wifi goes to “no internet access” it just wants to send everything via mobile data, including DNS lookups that should be hitting your local DNS server (your router). So you can access the cams by IP but not hostname, which I’m assuming is what the app is doing.

Even after disabling mobile data, it was pretty buggy due to many things wanting to access the internet. These are cloud cams after all, in reality they’re just designed to be reliant on the internet. Obviously NVR based systems are more robust but more expensive too.

There are things like mDNS and caching the cams private IPs etc they might be able to do, but I doubt it is a priority for them, especially when they’ve actually taken steps in the other direction (like getting rid of RTSP).

I believe the main thing is the authentication requires the internet.

Using modern authentication methods that allow for single sign on and all the other security features wyze has on your account, it’s just not possible (or at least practical) to do that locally. It relies on secrets only the servers know and cannot be shared elsewhere.

It may be possible to CONTINUE viewing your cameras when the internet goes down, as long as you already started the session and your authenticated, but probably not for very long as I’m sure it will time out.

I believe as long as the cameras themselves have authenticated recently, the app will authenticate to them. However yes, it seems it will time out after a certain number of hours from when they last authenticated.