Wyze Cam Outdoor - Battery life - Troubleshoot with WYZE

Well… mine is on my front porch. It’s angled somewhat downward so that the detection zone is a few feet before the porch. I have the detection distance set at 80 and image sensitivity at 60. And, like I mentioned, it’s only on about 8 hours a day.

Gotcha! Thanks for the details! We really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

I may have missed this but are low battery alerts for WCO sent out at 20%?

Yes they are

1 Like

I have 2 WCO,
After charging them both to 100%, as soon as i unplug the charging cable, 1 WCO will instantly drop to 94% and the other WCO to 97%.
I thought maybe it didnt charge full completely, so i plugged it into the charger to full 100%. Then again as soon as i removed the charging cable, bettery percentage instantly drops to 97% & 94%.
Why??

1 Like

the calculation of the battery % is based on voltage. There is a certain variance in measuring the voltage. It is hard to say if this is a real issue or not. What matters is how long the battery will last.
I’d suggest you use it as normal and see if the battery life ( over the course of the entire life ) is normal. You are welcome to contact support if in actual use, the battery life is very short.

1 Like

If i follow your advise by using it as normal (over the course of the entire life). If i find that the battery is deffective, by that time the 30 day exchange/return window will have passed.

1 Like

Understand your concerns. Our warranty time is 1 year.
But if you are cautious about the 30 days, you can try it for a week or two. The point is that the voltage measurement can fluctuate a bit at a single time point, but should smooth out over a longer time peiord. Unless there is some defect with the camera, which you can contact support after 1 or 2 weeks of usage.

1 Like

The last time I charged one of my outdoor cams I did so from the base, like I always do. The red light turned solid, so I turned it on and took it outside to mount it. While adjusting it I was shocked to see the battery indicator at 78%. I almost brought the camera back inside to put it on the charger again, but decided against it. The next day when I live streamed from that cam the battery was listed as 100%. The camera remained at 100% for 3 full days before it finally started to drop.

Just sharing my personal experience with my last charge, which was 3 weeks ago this coming weekend. Oddly enough, as of this posting that cam is now showing 78% charged. :slight_smile:

I had an instance where my Outdoor cam became disconnected from the base unit, (it really needs more range), while the LEDs were on… They stayed on until I reconnected the unit… This was several weeks ago, it may be that this has been corrected…

I currently have Blink outdoor cameras that I use and I change the Li batteries once per year. I’m away from my home and monitoring it remotely for over 6 mos. at a time. can I use the Li batteries instead and hope for a longer battery life. I’d sure like to use the WOC!

I have 4 outdoor cameras currently. The two that are furthest from the base station depleted battery much faster than the two that are very close to the base station. There is no SD card installed in base or cameras. The number of events captured across cameras is about the same and relatively low in volume. Very little live streaming. It seems the distance from the base is the factor that is killing the battery. Any evidence to support or deny this?

It would make sense, most WiFi cams send a keep alive signal even when not streaming. This signal is a handshake depending on both ends getting a packet of data confirming the connection before it goes back to sleep or slumber. If the path is marginal the exchange typically will require many more retries and each one of those consumes a lot of battery power. The close in ones only need to try once or twice, noise will also cause similar issues (high battery consumption) or compound them.
I guess the idea is to get the best signal you can for better battery life.

P.S. I took a look around the forum and didn’t find this info, I’m sure I must have missed it but this is pretty important if folks are trying to squeeze all the energy out of their battery’s they can.

1 Like

It would be easy to verify frequency and amount of traffic if these outdoor cams were Wi-Fi. I assume the reason there is a base station for these is that Wyze has developed their own protocol (or licensing one) that operates on a frequency different than Wi-Fi to enable better performance and/or range? They would need to confirm. The drawback of this design is the assumption that outdoor cams joining wifi like other wyze cams do wouldn’t work well for customers. For those of us who have advanced mesh networks, our range may exceed what they are doing with the base station and maybe we’d avoid the battery issues I am having. It’s pretty bad. One of my cams lasts 30-40 days and the other lasted about 60 days.

The keep-alive exchange is greatly reduced to preserve battery. If the WOC had to wake up every 1~10 sec and transmit an ack it would kill the battery. The base or IR detector can wake up the cam to communicate, otherwise sleeping. :sleeping:

So can you point me to the data referencing the data communication protocol being used? I’m only interested in looking at the timing charts for the various data packets being sent and received so there would need to be no proprietary info given. Thanks in advance.
“The keep-alive exchange is greatly reduced to preserve battery.” This the stuff we find in sales literature, and is absolutely meaningless when were talking about squeezing every last micro watt out of a tiny battery. I’ve only been in this field for 50 years.

Hi @aaronramsdell Not an employee of Wyze, would give you that info. if I had it. Since it is only Wyze Outdoor Cam point-point communication, it could be altered with a firmware update. You can see it at setup as “Wyze_bind_xxx” :slightly_smiling_face:

My Wyze Cam Outdoor has been great since I set it up.
However, in the last 3 days or so the battery is dead in a few hours.

I bring it back in, charge it to 100%, set it back up outside and by the evening the camera is dead yet again.

There is not that much foot traffic outside of my home to be draining it this fast.
Is anybody else experiencing battery failure like this?

Do you have a Micro SD card on hand ? if so, can you insert a card in the camera, and then do a full charge, and let battery drop. The log on the card will be helpful for us to troubleshoot the issue.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue with my outdoor cam. I’m using it indoors and have not alter any of my settings, nor any extra motion. Just all of a sudden the battery will not hold a charge for more than 24 hours. I just put in a ticket to support via email.