WYZE app disappeared in Play Store for Android tablets

Existential questions, both personal and business, are probably foremost out Wyze way.

Yet, as you suggest, business-as-usual has not been suspended.

• Most/all of us affected can sideload the latest app version with acceptable ease and security from the likes of apkpure and apkmirror.

• Most/all of us affected can run the latest app version after sideloading.

• If the latest app version doesn’t run acceptably on one’s device, one can uninstall it and sideload an earlier version.

• So it’s not urgent that Wyze correct the underlying Play Store issue for most/all of us affected.

• Only for those who find sideloading intimidating or potentially insecure, AND who need the unique features of the latest app.

Unless I’m missing something, which is entirely possible. :slight_smile:

For the moment, Wyze could host download of the apk’s of the latest version(s) from these pages:

as they did for V2.4.82.

That would at least remove the security anxieties about downloading apk’s from a 3rd party source.

And leave just an unfamiliar process (sideloading) to navigate.

The scenario you are missing are new or existing Wyze device owners who don’t have an existing copy of the app on their tablet.
I read a post from someone who lost the Wyze app during an OS update. Seems odd but could happen.
There are so many Wyze customers who don’t use these forums. They may not have any idea what to do.
The worst case would be a new customer with a tablet.

1 Like

You’ll notice Wyze does take the time to post promos for new products in the forum.

1 Like

You have stated this problem most clearly. This is an inconvenience to us but we have the technical ability to get through it. The non-technical new user will have no idea what to do and will return the products and hate Wyze.

2 Likes

Yeah, I read that, too.

And a brand new user with a tablet would be, like, wuh??

Good points. :+1:

I will. :slight_smile:

In reality it would be a small number of new users that would have a tablet only but even people with phones and tablets may prefer to view teir cameras on s larger screen.
There are > 2000 votes for a PC / Mac Wyse app. That shows that large screens are important to some users.

1 Like

I should clarify one thing. The current app (on my 2 year old tablet) works just fine … “for now”. It’s currently stuck with version 2.8.24. A few weeks ago when the newer app version was released (2.9?) mine didn’t automatically update like it always has in the past. Going through my tablet settings, apps, wyze I tapped on a link “App details in store”. Tapping that link took me to the “Play Store” where it has in red, “This App isn’t compatible with your device anymore” Contact the developer for more info. At this point I went directly to Google Play store, typed in Wyze Labs in the search bar (plus everything else) and the Wyze App no longer appears. There are several “other” apps similar to Wyze that are available, just not Wyze. So, for now my current version of Wyze is working, but who knows for how much longer. I did contact support and posted a copy of that in a previous post.

2 Likes

Support got back to me.
They aren’t answering the question; “Are the developers aware of this problem?”.
They sent me a direct link to the app in the Playstore. Of course this is useless as the app is now incompatible with my device.
I’ve tagged Wyze twice in this thread with no acknowledment. Wyze support is not informed of the problem or has been told not admit there is a problem.
All I am trying to do is help Wyze customers but sadly I think it’s time to give up.

1 Like

Sadly, I have given up as well … AND their products! :persevere:

2 Likes

The app is working as long as it is not uninstalled. After there is no app to reinstall.

2 Likes

Also no future updates.
So if you buy a scale or band don’t expect to access it through your tablet.

1 Like

Sounds Wyze uses IT Service Model from the 1990.
Unplug your computer and Plug it back to the wall.

Whoever in charge of the Wyze Support needs to develop process to actually will help customer.

3 Likes

I was considering buying a scale, but with no tablet update, I don’t see that being viable.

2 Likes

I agree with you cargaill. I myself wont be buying anything further from Wyze until they get this issue resolved. I use my tablet 90% of the time, and about 10% on the cell which is probably opposite for most users. But what I think is most unsettling is their lack of communication with customers. It;s quite disheartening to say the least.

2 Likes

What I find the most unsettling is that Wyze expect us to accept devices with such blatant software flaws on our networks without question.

2 Likes

Very disappointed. I expected much better from the Wyze folks. I would much rather they tell me to shove it than leave me hanging.

2 Likes

Hi, everyone!

Sorry for the delay here.

We’ve been looking into this from our end and didn’t do anything on purpose that would have caused this. At this point, we’re suspecting that Google Play is updating their supported devices list but we can’t say for sure. We’ve been checking on some of the reported tablets and Google’s giant list of supported devices is reporting them as only partially supported or not supported.

I don’t have answers yet but we are trying to figure out what happened so we can give an actual update.

5 Likes

Please keep your support people inforned. At least tell them there is a real problem.
Leaving them out of the loop just makes them look stupid.

6 Likes

I have a ASUS zenpad c7.0
I have tons of Google apps and other apps pushed down to be updated. Clearly it is supported.

I hope Wyze reads the furst 20 posts of this thread carefully. I think the solution is there.

2 Likes

If the model # is Z170CG then yes it’s supported because it has telephony hardware.

2 Likes