Wyze app 2.50 - Released 3/25/2024

I see things very differently. AMA’s have been awesome and “wishes” are complex. I know we get frustrated when our preferred wishlists aren’t implemented, but I know that it is definitely not the case that they aren’t listening or reading them, because I speak with employees a lot. I know Wyze actually does read the wishlist. The Wishlist in particular is synced by Jason with their internal system. It is also discussed by employees and employees review it sometimes even if they aren’t commenting and influencing particular requests in one way or another. I remember one example I was talking to an employee for the first time a year and a half ago and she told me she was really excited to actually talk with me. She said she’d seen my posts all over the forums, etc and even though she, herself, didn’t post anything in the forums, she did read a bunch of stuff. So I had no idea who this person was at all, but she felt like she already knew me from reading through the forums a lot. It was really interesting. Jason and others have confirmed many times that other employees do read things in here.

I also actually brought up the SD card sharing issue in one of the AMA’s. One of the cofounders answered me directly. He indicated they haven’t been “ignoring” this issue at all, but that they have purposely chosen not to allow sharing the SD due to security and liability concerns. When you “share” a camera, they want to make sure that the new account is only ever able to view events that happen AFTER the share takes place because there are people who use these for lots of different purposes and not all shares are with a spouse. Some might be businesses or sharing with babysitter or any number of other considerations and they need to make sure that people who get the camera shared with them can only see events starting after the share takes place. They can easily do this with the cloud events, but just giving them access to events that happened in the previous days. However, if they shared the MicroSD card, then shared users would be able to access all the footage that exists on the card, including files from before the share. There are complications with that and they said this is why they haven’t changed the settings. It is absolutely not that they “ignored” the desire of some users (including myself) to have this.

I did end up giving the founder several solutions to overcome this objection, and he said he hears me/us and that Wyze will consider such things. Who knows. But even then, User requests have to be considered in light of multiple variables.

When this was brought up to the VP of product in an AMA, he said, regarding the wishlist:

We look at [the wishlist/roadmap] with the team every week

There are many things that decide whether or not a wishlist is implemented, and there most definitely are wishes that get granted specifically because of the suggestion being put on this wishlist.

That’s not to say that all wishes will be implemented. In another thread I listed a bunch of things that generally go into considering user requests/votes for things:

I guess the overall point is that they DO read the wishlist, and they do listen, but there are a lot of things to consider for each wishlist request and deciding which ones get priority over the THOUSANDS of other requests when they have limited resources. Asking in AMAs helps, voting and commenting in the thread can be helpful and are one of the variables that matter, but there are several other considerations too. If every user posted and told Wyze they wish they would make a magical flying unicorn and they didn’t do it, wouldn’t mean they didn’t “listen” though. They care what the community wants, but there are also many other things to consider.

1 Like