Why was Android hardware decoding removed?

I echo Jasons comments.

When hardware decoding removed my lag was in the range of 15 seconds across several phones and tablets. All of them in the range of 3-6 years old.

Following updates - being completely current on both app and firmware general releases - the delay is at worst one second.

1 Like

My experience is the delay can be quite variable with the same hardware, software and firmware - from sub 1 second to as much as 15 to 20 seconds. The only explanation I can fathom is the load on the Wyze servers since everything happens via that route and everything else is constant.

Same thing I have noticed RT

In theory its a peer to peer connection once the server sets up the routing for the datagram exchange. The problem is there’s no error detection and correction in that peer to peer datagram mechanism so if the CAM or the device driving the app have a problem (software or network) then the data can just fall on the floor and not even be used and cause buffer management issues as it builds up the video to display.

Per Google, future Android releases will all be 64-bits, and all apps need to migrate.

1 Like

Some posts have been removed because they do not conform to the Community Guidelines, specifically:

Sometimes we will disagree on topics. You may even think that the other person is outright wrong! That’s just part of being human talking to other humans. But when you respond, remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks (personal attacks instead of discussing content of a post)
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content

Please be kind to each other. Thanks.

4 Likes

Are you referring to UDP? If so, I don’t think they’re using UDP.

@qlang243 Good for Google. I’m running an older version of Android on old hardware and I couldn’t upgrade to a newer version of Android if I wanted to. Short of buying new hardware that is, which I won’t be doing, considering everything was working fine before Wyze changed libraries without bothering to test.

They were forced to change, and the latest version has fixed the upwards of 45 seconds lag I had on my device, have you tried the newest version?

Tried it out:

Haven’t tried the TEST app V2.6.371 to see if Playback video/audio sync is improved with that:

Tried V2.6.371, FWIW.

Ticket number for the log is 404609.

Hardware toggle in both Live View and Playback modes makes it worse - “slow motion” effect.

Software toggle is good in Live View as it is in V2.6.42. Software toggle is good in Playback but audio is out of sync erratically as it is in V2.6.42.

When is the code for 2.6.371 going to be integrated into the mainline? It’d be nice to have a setting that default ts the decoder method.

Is there an improvement in battery life as well with this enabled? Usually - hardware decoding is far more power efficient then software. I’m not running into performance centric issues, but I do care about battery life and any video based application on my devices usually support hardware decoding…its kind of table stakes for video applications in general nowadays…

2.6.371 unfortunately change nothing for me :confused: It’s because I’m using Huawei device? Still the lag is unacceptable, about 20 second.

1 Like

Hi,Guys. Does anyone still have Android the live steam lagging issue. If so, Can you try this version, and leave the feedback for if it fixed or not? Download Here.

The super button fixes the lag problem on my LG Fortune phone . now if you can incorporate that into a future wyze app that would be great because even though this latest APK fixes the lag problem it is only for a single cam view and not available when I view four cameras simultaneously. so for now I’m reverting back to the last Hardware decoder working program and hoping that you make an Incorporation to fix it

WHAT A MESS. I installed 12 of these at our church. Several men in the church monitor the cams within the app. WAS WORKING FINE until updates. Androids users raising cane, IOS works ok. I sooo wish I never chose these cams!!!

Hello @dm7305 and welcome to the community.

What issues are you having, this thread was concerning the removal of the hardware decoder which was added back in some time ago.

1 Like

Don’t use them anymore due to the issues I had. Maybe I will give them another try.

By the way, how is the outdoor cam doing?

Thanks

I agree!!!