Viewing LED read outs

I am trying to use my V2 camera to monitor LED lights on equipment. The equipment to be monitored is in a dark room and all I get is blurred images from the LED readout, nothing readable. I’ve tried all combinations of Picture Resolution, night time viewing, and varying distances between the camera and the equipment read outs. I have been unable to obtain any readable images.The readouts are 1 inch blue LEDs so I don’t understand why I can’t get a readable image, any help would be greatlty appreciated.

Can you post a picture of your attempts? Maybe some can give pointers easier then.

Interesting dilemma. I have no problem reading red and green LED status lights and red LED number readouts with v2 cams (night vision on and IR on). Perhaps in night vision mode, blue is too far away in the spectrum from near-IR wavelength? I’ll try to run a few experiments this evening…

Well that was fun and I did come up with a solution that hopefully works for you…

TL;DR Try turning “Night Vision Mode” On (not Auto or Off) and toggle “Night Vision IR Lights” On.

v2 cam to LED display distance: 12"
v2 cam to LED angle: ~20 degrees (to eliminate IR glare)
LED height (digit height): 0.5"
LED color: Actinic blue (453nm)
LED readout is behind 2mm clear plexiglass
LED readout is stable (vibrationless)
All views are standard, i.e., not zoomed

“Night Vision Mode” Auto
“Night Vision IR Lights” On

“Night Vision Mode” On

“Night Vision Mode” Off

“Night Vision Mode” Auto
“Night Vision IR Lights” Off

“Night Vision Mode” On

“Night Vision Mode” Off

“Night Vision Mode” Off, regardless of “Night Vision IR Lights” setting, was legible @ up to 12" distance, but beyond that, it was blurry. The combination of “Night Vision Mode” and “Night Vision IR Lights” settings that provided a perfectly clear view of the blue LED readout was “Night Vision Mode” On and “Night Vision IR Lights” On. One would assume that “Night Vision Mode” Auto in complete darkness would be equivalent to “Night Vision Mode” On, but it isn’t. I’m not sure why setting “Night Vision Mode” On focuses perfectly in this scenario compared to “Night Vision Mode” Auto. It looks like there’s a firmware bug where “Auto” switched on provides the correct WB and IR intensity, but focus is whacked when viewing intense blue light.

In case you’re wondering… that LED display is on one of my WiFi-enabled, thermoelectric, cigar storage fridges connected to an UPS sitting inside a climate controlled walk-in humidor lounge (man cave). It’s safer and less expensive to UPS power, control and maintain smaller individual units than a whole room.

1 Like

Automotive tint over the LEDs may help or a night light ?

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and experimentation. They were very useful and finally coming up with a solution that works for my set up. I did find one significant problem that I believe to be an error in the cameras software that was really at the basic route of where my problems started With the camera settings set the way you indicated if the camera is off when I first power it up I can turn it on and everything works, but if the camera was on when it was last turned off when you power back up the infrared lights do not come on. I hadn’t realized that the infrared lights turned on for a few seconds during power up and then we’re turning off which left everything in total darkness and really was part of the main problem. Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

1 Like