Strange Bulb Reset Problem

The usual reset process is not working for me. Please bear with me as I share the details.

The problem I am about to describe is happening with FOUR bulbs. They’re the original 2019 bulbs. After getting very frustrated, I opened a brand new box of 2019 bulbs. I was able to set them up with no problem. So I suspect that I somehow bricked the first four.

Here’s the issue. I have a new Cox router (ugh) that by default uses the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5GHz. To my surprise, I was able to pair the same four Wyze bulbs I’d been using for years. Happy.

But then, to get a Wyze camera to pair, I found that I had to split my wifi: different names for 2.4GHz and 5GhHz. Ok, no big deal. But the bulbs lost their connection. Ok, so I tried to reset and reconnect them. Nope. I tried resetting each of the four bulbs at least 10 times each over the course of a couple weeks. They seem to pair, but after setup they stay on and do not respond to commands (on/off, brightness, color temperature – all do nothing) from the app. They’re just stuck on. Except that sometimes one of the bulbs will revert to flashing as if it is trying to connect. But the temporary setup AP is not available. Weird. I cleared cache on the app. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Same problem. The bulbs don’t stay paired and even when they are paired, they don’t respond to any commands from the app.

So then I re-merged my 2.4 and 5GHz networks to use the same SSID again. That had worked before, so I hoped it would again. Nope. All four bulbs still don’t work after multiple attempts to reset and reconnect.

After a couple weeks of this, I just gave up.

Then I remembered that I had an unopened box of four of the same kind: 2019 original bulbs. I set them all up in about 10 minutes and they work perfectly.

Have I bricked the first four bulbs? If so, I’m worried that splitting my SSIDs again will brick the four bulbs that are working! Is there some way to do a factory reset that is better than turning them on/off three times?

Thanks for reading. I know this is a weird situation.

1 Like

Hello. Unfortunately, I don’t have a solution or an answer to your question about whether you have bricked your lights, but I have a similar problem.
We had to replace our FiOS router. Therefore, I had to add cams and lights back to change wifi info. I was able to connect to the wyze bulb created wifi, but I get a pop-up that says, “Attach your new camera to your Cam Plus plan. Your current Cam Plus plan covers your new camera, all you have to do is attach it to your plan. Tap the “Continue” button to attach Cam Plus on this camera” This is followed by a pre-selected radio button labeled “auto-renew at $2.99 after O” [exact text]. Initially, I unchecked the button because I’m not adding a camera. When I unchecked the button, a pop-up appeared that says, “Are you sure? By uncheck this option, you’ll lose the ability to see video recordings in the vloud after O” [this is the exact text, they are not my typos]. Whether I uncheck or leave the radio button checked, “Loading” appears on the screen and after maybe 5 minutes the light begins to pulse again like it’s ready to connect. I have to force quit the app. I chatted with the Wyze “Wizard” last night who instructed me to do almost everything I had already done. He created a service ticket and I have submitted the log to the engineering team. I am not an engineer, but I suspect this unrelated sales pitch related to adding a light to the cam plus plan is the culprit. Sloppy work and a surprise for Wyze. If I get a solution, I’ll post it here.
Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.