Shortcut on the alerts/events playback for live view and recorded playback

Here are my thoughts on the flow within the app based on getting an alert notice pushed to my phone. I’m not sure if any of this is new, but I’ve certainly seen bits a pieces in several Roadmap threads, so I’ll try to summarize it here. First, I would like, as a setting, to choose what the push notice does when I click on it. I see three options.

1. Go to Live Stream so you can see exactly what is happening now! This would allow you to talk to someone knocking at your door, someone stealing your deliveries or see something happening in the room you’re monitoring. Going straight to live stream would also give you the opportunity to press the record button in case they take your camera, including the SD card. I know that’s a concern, I just don’t know how often it really happens. Having a thumbnail in the push notice of what triggered the alert could be helpful depending on how mission critical people feel about their cameras. I doubt I would stop to study a thumbnail, but others might if they prefer option 2 or 3.

2. Go to the 12 sec video like the push notice does now when you click it. From there, you will have the options to jump to that point in playback or live stream, see below.

3. Go to the SD Playback to the point the 12 second video would start playing. This allows you to scroll back for those continuous recording people or scroll to the beginning of the minute for the event triggered people. You would also be able to play more than 12 seconds of what took place. For people with SD cards, you could give them the option of not storing 12 seconds of video to AWS, unless they wanted it as backup should someone swipe the entire camera. The police aren’t going to do anything with that video unless a more major crime took place, but you never know you may catch your jealous neighbor taking your Wyze camera.

If I can’t get configurable settings for the push notice, I would argue for changing it to #1.

On the Event view screen, include buttons (shortcuts) to go to Live Stream and the SD Playback at the point the 12 second video would begin. It would also be helpful to have these buttons available on the Notifications list page. If people opt to not store video to AWS, they would still have a notice recorded on the Notifications list page and could jump from there to Live Stream or the alert in the SD Playback. On the Notifications Page, the jump to Playback point button would be for each alert and the Live Stream would be somewhere in the page header since it doesn’t need to be repeated with each alert notification.

I think this combines numerous requests that I have seen and hopefully covers the flow within the app once an alert is received. It also give people options to have their own unique flow when they get an alert.

5 Likes