Separate IR source

With the rollout of v2.1.32, where you can turn off the internal IR lights, I’m happy to report for the first time I didn’t have any insect related notices triggered. Using the separate IR lights listed above, I still have plenty of light to see what’s going on. A huge improvement over the onboard lights, which are designed for indoor use, as is the camera. On one of the cameras, turning off the lights is nearly impossible to notice, because it pales in comparison to the external lamp. On the side camera, it is more noticeable, but because of the layout, all approaches are covered by the external IR lamp. Same situation with the third camera, which I never posted pics of. I may get around to adding pics with just the external IR lights, but now I’m pleased with the ability to turn off the onboard lights and the additional illumination from the above listed IR lamps.

As for the insects, I believe the fly-byes were incidental and not an ‘attracted to the light’ issue mainly because of their flight path. I don’t recall any flying directly at the light source, just close enough in front of it to get ‘lit-up’ and glow like a torch. We don’t get much snow here, but I think the separate IR source without the onboard lights would work the same for eliminating those false alarms. I expect this will also eliminate the fog/drizzle (looks like thousands of gnats attacking your camera) false alarms too. @UserCustomerGwen please pass along a big ‘Thank you’ to the team.

3 Likes